“Wish we had read the reviews before we went....”
Review of 18/20 Cellar Bar

18/20 Cellar Bar
Ranked #55 of 157 Restaurants in Keswick
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was bank holiday Monday & we had tried to find a table for 4 in several other pubs but without success. 18/20 had several empty tables in the garden. We had to go inside to order our food but there was no-one behind the bar.... finally the manager arrived but he was very slow. We ordered our food & drinks & unusually had to pay there & then. He obviously didn’t think we would be ordering anything else. My husband & I had a Caesar salad to start. It usually has crisp crunchy lettuce but ours was the cheapest kind. 2 of our main courses came together, several minutes later a sirloin steak that was supposed to be medium rare came out but was over cooked & then finally my son’s meal (children’s cod in batter) came but he said it was horrid. They did agree to replace the over cooked steak but the replacement was very fatty.
It’s a shame. We thought that the waiter who agreed to replace the steak was good & deserved to be working somewhere better.

Jessica J, Manager at 18/20 Cellar Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi 1927Pippa,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your visit to our Cellar Bar. We appreciate all feedback we receive as it helps highlight things we may be lacking in or have overlooked.
I have spoken with the team working during your visit who explained how busy they were with it being a bank holiday, I know you mentioned there being empty tables outside, but we were full inside. I am not using this as an excuse as to why you felt service was slow, but I hope you can appreciate we are only human and try to give all guests the attention they deserve.
In regards to you having to wait for your son's cod, this was a genuine mistake on our part for which I apologise.
I also apologise for your steak being overcooked, we did notice that you ate all of the replacement steak though, so I am surprised to see you thought it was too fatty.
Our Chef and his team work very hard to create delcious meals and if you look through the majoirty of our reviews you will see they reflect their hard work. I am sure if you were to visit us again, you would feel very differently about the food and service.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in The Lakes.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my boyfriend went for lunch on bank holiday Sunday, looked like the place had not long opened as they were still setting up and no one else was in, so we were a bit sceptical. However there was nothing to worry about the service and food was absolutely delightful. I had the chicken tortilla and my boyfriend had the burger and wow how good they both were. Mine was amazing even the side salad, but of course I had to try my boyfriends burger too and it was perfectly cooked, soooo juicy. He’s a fussy eater and eats burgers everywhere and said it’s definitely up there with one of the best he’s ever had. Oh the relish that came with the burger was amazing too. Would definitely recommend to anyone going to Keswick!

Hi Lucie S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words on your bank holiday lunch with us.
I am so happy to hear you both enjoyed your meals and I know the Chef will be delighted to know how impressed you both were with the burger!
Hopefully we will be able to see you again to try more of our delicious meals.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I had the lamb chump and sticky toffee pudding, bf had the chicken and sticky toffee pudding and dog had some vanilla ice cream. We all enjoyed it!
With the dog you have to sit downstairs in the bar but we really preferred it to upstairs as we’d visited before (w/o the dog) and sat upstairs where it was more crowded. Downstairs was quiet, no one else was actually downstairs except the bar man, cricket was on but it felt more restaurant than bar (definitely not a drinking place!).
Food was great and staff friendly.
Would definitely go again and wasn’t too expensive (£60-65 for 2 mains, 3 desserts, ; alcoholic drinks)

1  Thank jessicataylor27

Hi jessicataylor27,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your visit to the Cellar Bar.
I am pleased to hear you both enjoyed your meals and that your little dog got to enjoy a treat too. Can't beat ice cream in this weather!
I am also glad to know you were happy to sit downstairs, we have to remember that not all guests want to have dogs around while they eat their meals, so we like to offer seperate areas. I personally prefer downstairs anyway.
It would be lovely to see you all again though and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your day in the sunshine.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here on weekday lunchtime and the place was very quiet.

The surroundings were fine and there was a nice terrace. We were greeted by a guy from behind the bar who seemed to be having to do everything, he was pleasant and friendly.

The variety of nonalcoholic drinks wasn’t great but the wine list looked good.

Two of us were meat and dairy free, there was hardly any choice. We opted for the superfood salad with salmon. Although it came quickly, it was disappointing. The tenderstem broccoli wasn’t tenderstem, and the variety of food within it was not great.

It’s a shame they don’t cater for vegans or have more variety without meat and cheese on the menu. For this reason, plus the fact what we got wasn’t great, we won’t return.

Jessica J, Manager at 18/20 Cellar Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi billyridley,

Thank you for taking some time to share your thoughts. We appreciate all feedback as it helps highlight places we may have overlooked.

I am pleased to know you were welcomed warmly but surprised that you thought we did not have a great choice of non-alcoholic beverages. We have a wide range of juices from good old orange juice to pineapple, mango and grapefruit. We also stock J2O's, cokes and lemonades.
We do also have non-alcoholic versions of Kopperberg and Becks.

We are aware our current menu does not have a good choice of vegetarian or vegan options. The Chef is coming up with new ideas to create a new menu which will be more varid.
This being said, the Chef is more than happy to make things up if a guest is having trouble finding something on the menu to suit their dietary requirements.
After talking to the team working during your visit, you did not mention you were not overly happy with the choice which is a shame as, like i mentioned, the Chef would have happily created another dish for you.

We served a few superfood salads the same day as your visit and nobody else mentioned about the broccoli being hard. I imagine this was an unfortunate mistake on our part as we do like to serve the broccoli nice and soft. I therefore apologise about that.

I hope you would still think of us for future meals and feel comfortable to mention your vegan so we can work with you to create a lovely meal.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Our experience did not match up to the reviews! To start the wrong starters were brought, the we were given 3 sauces for the steak orders even though we didnt order them... still with me; then only 7 of the 8 mains arrived! We had a 5-10 min wait for the last meal. On top it all the food was Ok but nothing to write home about and the chips were oven chips... not what we expected and very disappointing

Jessica J, Manager at 18/20 Cellar Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Richard R,
We appreciate all feedback we get so thank you for taking some time to share your thoughts.
It is very sad to know you did not enjoy your time with us though.
I have spoken to the team about your booking and it was during a very busy time when we were short staffed. I am not trying to excuse the mistakes made, but hope you can understand everybody is human and we are not perfect. We do apologise for the incorrect starters though and that the last steak took longer than expected.
I can also guarantee you we do not serve oven chips.
As you have seen from other reviews, we normally provide excellent meals with great service. Again, I can only apologise this was not the experience you got but I am sure if you were to return you would be pleasantly surprised by the difference.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in The Lakes.