“Good Quality Food”

Price range: US$13 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have eaten here on every visit I have taken to Keswick, and the quality of food has been very good every time. It is a very good character pub with a good selection of ales, wines and food, just what you need after a days walking in the fells.

1  Thank Bill B

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Okay phenomenal may be overstating a little but I like a bit of alliteration! My sister and I enjoyed a delicious meal at the Pheasant. I loved the gooey Camembert with plenty of dipping sticks to enjoy it all and main of beef and Cumberland Ale pie was yummy with fab homemade chips. I chose the lemon posset for dessert as nice and light after scrumptious starter and main and wasn't disappointed, it was perfect. The service was great, it was a busy evening but the staff were all efficient and friendly. Looking forward to my next visit!

1  Thank jacfisher
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We ordered food and I had the Lamb Tagine from the specials board. My husband had a chicken dish from the standard menu and I was very surprised at the difference in portion sizes. His was served on a large plate (the same as all the other diners that I could see) and was served with a generous portion of vegetables. Mine was served in quite a small bowl with just a couple of serving spoons of cous cous and the same for the lamb sauce. The price was the same at £13:50 and when I asked the waiter to check with the chef as to why my portion was so small, all I got back was "the curry is vegetables and the tagine is a meat dish" - I gave up the will to live at this stage and decided that I would not be eating at The Pheasant again.

5  Thank Jinnie_G
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We knew that this was quite a small pub so we booked ahead and were glad that we had as even early on a Sunday evening it filled up very quickly. Unlike some of the other reviewers we thought that the service was excellent and the staff were all pleasant and helpful. The portion sizes were good as was the food. Our party of four had starters and mains and ordered two desserts with extra spoons and this was no problem at all for the staff and proved a wise choice as the desserts were also of generous proportions. We will certainly visit The Pheasant again when we are next in Keswick.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

A family of four going for a few drinks and an evening meal, surely you'd want that sort of custom?

Ignored at that bar, then grunted at.

Turned round and left, went somewhere that wanted to serve us.

Poor, poor, poor service, I don't think I missed anything.

5  Thank Giles H