Scafell Hotel(Rosthwaite)
US$278
Hotels.com
US$141
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$160/night.

US$261
US$164
US$111
  • Bar/Lounge
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$308
All reviewssteak menucentral car parkfull englishgreat locationlovely mealtown centreon arrivalsuperfoodrearbreakfastmushroomswardrobepillowslakedog
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Sadly the place really is as basic as the management point out in previous replies. I really don't want to be negative as I feel the female receptionist who (eventually) checked us in and the man who (eventually) served us breakfast in the morning actually tried to be welcoming; there was just too much waiting about that it made us feel uncomfortable.

As a previous reviewer suggested - it just isn't the lovely, cosy lake district retreat you expect/hope it will be. I picked this place on the overall rating it got, it's definitely only a 2, 3 at best. I was disappointed, I don't want you to be disappointed too!

Slow SLOW service, breakfast was average, very basic room. This isn't the scene from {insert generic romantic film scene} you are looking for.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Jessica J, Manager at 18/20 Cellar Bar, Dining & Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi David C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your views on your stay with us.
I am saddened to hear how unimpressed you were during your stay. As you correctly point out, we don't claim to be a big fancy hotel, but we still want to provide a warm, welcoming atmosphere for guests to be able to relax in. I, therefore, worry that this was not how you felt.
I will look into ways to make the rooms feel that bit more "warmer" and inviting.
We have also taken on more staff in the hope that it enables us to attend to guests more quickly and efficiently.
I hope these little changes would make a difference and you would feel comfortable to come back and give us another chance to show you we can be a great little place to stay.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Keswick though.
Kind regards,
Jess

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for a pre-theatre dinner and the food and service was excellent. There was an extensive menu so there was something for everyone. We have eaten there on previous trips to Keswick and would do so again in the future.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stnors

Hi Stnors,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am pleased to know you enjoyed your time here. We really work hard to make all guests feel welcome so it is lovely to know you will come back and enjoy more delicous meals with us.
I hope you enjoyed the show and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards,
Jess

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Really wish I could give a zero star rating, as this was Customer service @ it's worst. Called in 5pm Sunday couple of weeks ago,to book a table for that evening.The Manager(I found out later who he was) was preparing the tables & didn't acknowledge me just carried on.Asked if I could book a table for 2 for that night.He asked what time & for how many(obviously hadn't paid any attention), I said 8.30~9 to which he replied:'9,don't be late!'As it's a very small bar,I asked if they sold wine as I couldn't see any.Without looking up, he said there's a wine list(which I then saw on the bar), he didn't even look up when I left. After telling my husband, he didn't want to go, but we don't like letting places down so went~REALLY BAD MISTAKE! Arrived 8.55pm The 'Manager' came with the menu & asked us to 'hurry up!' Within 2mins he came for our order, told him we hadn't yet looked, 3mins later he came back again.By this time my husband was fuming & said,'we may not be staying, to which he shrugged & walked off!!!! We walked out & went to a great pub across the way,super restaurant upstairs, we had been there before as the food is great & actually served with a smile! We would NEVER return to 18/20,as this excuse for a so called Manager needs to realise the public pay his wages & there are many great pubs/restaurants within a few seconds walk!!!!!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvia P
Reviewed 13 May 2018

We felt that the Cellar Bar was good value for money and will definitely return. Some reviews are rather harsh and critical, I feel. For example 'small rooms' - the nature of property in Keswick (indeed what lends quaint appeal) is naturally small and compact. I have personally stayed at a number of different establishments in the town, and all have small rooms. Windows left open? Yes, to let in the glorious Cumbrian fresh air! Veggie breakfast? The menu has an interesting Superfoods breakfast comprising poached eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast, roasted peppers and humus - an alternative, diet-conscious and appropriately veggie combination. True, the pillows are thin but as I had four to myself this was not a problem!

So, on to the positives. Sparkling clean room. Highly effective shower. Good toiletries. The host was extremely helpful and nearby free parking was an added bonus. The food was of a high quality and freshly cooked. The property is smack in the middle of the best town in the Lake District, near the Lake, the theatre, the shops and a great local pub. Who wants that much wi-fi when on holiday in the glorious region? (you can always use your phone .)

As you can tell, I liked it a lot and will be going back.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank 499alisonp
Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

Visited restaurant over bank holiday weekend when Keswick was very busy so we decided to book beforehand by checking out on trip advisor. Glad we did as restaurant would have been full.We both had steak which was very tasty and had sticky toffee pudding and ice cream (yummy). Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple