“Excellent Girls Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penrith
Center Parcs Whinfell Forest
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I have holiday at Center Parcs to many times to count and have stayed at Whinfell Sherwood and Longleat with my husband and children but this time it was a girly weekend for my Mum's 60th birthday. It was a fantastic weekend and my Mum absolutely loved it. We stayed in a New Style Woodland Lodge and it was in a very good location. When we arrived the rug that was in the living area was so dirty it was more like a door mat than a rug. I rung Guest Services and asked them to come and remove it.They arrived approx half an hour later with a much cleaner looking rug. There was a few issues with housekeeping that I think need to be addressed but apart from this the lodge was lovely.
We did the moonlight spa on the Friday and is was absolutely supburd. It has to be one of the best Spa's I've ever been to.
The show on Saturday evening was just ok and although I do appreciate the effort that goes into something like that it just wasn't worth the money in my opinion and maybe Center Parcs should look at the shows Butlins put on Every night for FREE.
The toilet situation in the swimming is less than ideal and if I had my children with me I would not have been happy about them going on their own and they are mixed at the moment but I'm sure this will only be short term?
All in all a great weekend and can't wait to return as family.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (8,545)

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Went for weekend with family of 9,overall we enjoyed our stay,but then we always do make the most of our holidays.
Whilst the accomodation and overall site were not disappointing,the activity courses were overpriced and unimaginative.The swimming experience was spolt by SERIOUS public health issues.
Both the aforementioned criticisms could be remedied at little or no cost.

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Overpriced accommodation. Overpriced shop. Overpriced activities.
Toilet floor covered in excrement.
But apart from that there is still a lot to love about Centre Parcs.
Executive Lodge in need of some refurbishment but clean apart from the kitchen.
I spent the first hour washing everything in the kitchen as the cutlery and crockery were all dirty.
The one thing I will always say is there is always loads of activities available. And they are always great fun. The staff are always very helpful and courteous and the swimming is great when you eventually get a cubicle or wait to shower in the 5 showers for what feels like 10,000 people.
But like everything about Centre Parcs it was expensive for what it was. All in all this wasnt the worst short break (4 days but actually 2) we have ever had but for what it cost it should have been an awful lot better than it was!! Value for money is not what Centre Parcs is about. We could have gone abroad to Greece or Turkey for a week (and for less money). The time it took us to get into our Lodge was ridiculous and we would not be paying for things that should be all inclusive.

1  Thank eidomac
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We have visited Center parcs whinfell forest 39 times because wasso convenient when we lived in Whitehaven and now having relocated to Warrington on retirement to be with our family we still go back to Whinfell forest. Having only one booking now for February 2012 we had better be looking to book at least one more break for 2012

Room Tip: we always choose Badger Wood, Very central for us aged people ha ha
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Sept 2011 (2nd visit)
Whinfell Forest is great for a long weekend but I'm not sure it's big enough for a week, compared to Elveden. The decor and fixtures in the chalet (68 Fell View) were adequate but dated, and the bed in the master bedroom was the most uncomfortable I've ever slept on! Reduced toilet facilities in the swimming area were unsatisfactory as was the fact that they were unisex! Fun time had by all but just didn't experience the original magic!

1  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Stayed at Whinfell for a weekend break at the end of September. Stayed in a 3 bedroom comfort plus. Have stayed at Center Parcs many times before but had not stayed for a few years as we tried some of the Center Parcs in Holland. Whinfell can be as busy or as calm as you want it to be. It was busy at check in when we arrived At 2.00 pm. But we headed straight for the pool which was not too bad. Accomodation was very spacious, clean with beds made up and toiletries in both bathrooms. 3 kids used the 2 bedrooms upstairs and we had the downstairs bedroom with ensuite.

Swimming is great. The changing facilities are currently getting upgraded so they are a little bit cramped at times, particularly mid afternoon when alot of people who had spent their morning at the pool were leaving and those spending the afternoon at the pool were arriving. Alot of fraught people standing around shivering!! The pool is very good the kids love it and the lifeguards are very friendly. Beware the pool photographer,,,,,they want £7.00 for a photograph!!

We ate in Hucks on the Saturday which is Tex mex style. It's ok nothing spectacular to say. They do a kids buffet which means the kids can start eating as soon as they sit down which saves that long wait for ordered food.

We didn't buy much in the supermarket as we had brought most supplies with us. Just fresh bread, but looking at the prices they were comparable to any corner shop. Slightly more expensive than the big supermarkets but not enought to make you go into Penrith.

We didn't do many activities because are kids just love the pool, and cycling but I think the secret is to prebook before you arrive to get the time you want. This also includes the restaurants.

The price of drinks in the restaurants and bars is getting to the ridiculous stage and I think it's starting to show with more people staying in their lodges at night.

You also have to pay for the evening entertainment, which I think is faux pas. In Holland the entertainment is free but many more people come and buy drinks at the bar!

Overall Center Parcs have a fab set up here in a lovely area. The lodges are clean and warm. Many are currently being refurbished but you have to pay more if you want to stay in them, which I don't think is worth it.

Room Tip: Center Parcs charged £35 to pick your lodge. It's not worth it you might be a 10 minute walk fr...
1  Thank fifiq
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We have Just come back from a wonderful time at Center Parcs, 2 adults, a 3yr old and a 6month old. Very well catered for babies. Microwaves everywhere and complimentary baby food in all restraunts! makes your holiday with a baby very easy! Everywhere very clean and friendly, and tonns to do. Only thing is as you spend monday and friday travelling, you dont feel like you have had much of a holiday!

Room Tip: Badger wood is a great place to stay, as you are central to the main areas
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Edenhall Country House Hotel
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel

Been to Center Parcs Whinfell Forest? Share your experiences!