“family fun in the forest”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penrith
Center Parcs Whinfell Forest
Reviewed 2 October 2011

a middle class Butlins nestling in the heart of the forest, with more Jocintas and Tobys than is generally good for one. Not a bad place, a bit grubby round the edges and not as brilliant as i imagined it would be but the water pools are fun and the cycling is safe. the lodges are pleasant and ok for cleanliness but by gum its expensive for what it is.

5  Thank jerryfy

Reviewed 1 October 2011

My family and I can't wait to go back. We had the best family time ever. There is so much to do, so much fun to be had. Every child and adult should experience Centre Parcs!!! The activities are so well thought out and reasonably priced too. The swimming pool is a Childs dream! The lodges are lovely. The restaurants are excellent especially Hucks!

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank sd350z
Reviewed 1 October 2011

we booked this for a 60th birthday. We stayed in new style exec lodges at Seven Pines which were fab and a two minute walk into the village centre. The lodge was great we were a party of 6 adults and one child and there was something for everyone. The swimming pool is fab and you could easily spend a few hours in there my daughter loved it.

We used the takeaway one night and ate out every other night. The restaurant prices are no more expensive than going out say in Edinburgh. The only restaurant I would be wary of is Bella Italia it was awful - microwaved frozen food. Hucks was really nice and Cafe Rouge was excellent.

We will without a doubt be back as I want to go to the spa this time.

Room Tip: I was glad we paid the extra supplement to stay in the middle of the resort. Seven Pines was great...
5  Thank nicola h
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We booked a last minute three bedroom comfort plus and was allocated meadow view on arrival. It was on the outskirts of the village but all locations looked good. The key cards we were given didn't work as they were upgrading some and after an hour someone finally turned up with a key. They informed us that we should have been given a key on arrival but they had lost them and had to replace our lock. When we finally were let in the accommodation we were pleasantly surprised. The accommodation was spacious and relatively clean. It was approximately 20 minutes walk to the centre but was a lovely walk and our two young children loved it. There is not much for young children to do for free apart from swimming which was fantastic. We found the restaurants very expensive for the quality. It was a nice break but probably won't go back as we could have gone abroad for the money we spent at centreparcs. However, it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it depending on what activities you choose to do.
On a last note please be careful on the stairs. On the last morning I slipped on the last few stairs due to them narrowing. I was holding my child and luckily only I ended up in A&E.

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank dkkl
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Fantastic retreat for kids and adults, plenty to offer, wether you want adventure fun or relaxation. Staff are friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Brilliant value for money, it does not matter wether you have good or bad weather as there is much on offer to ensure you have a great time. Very clean throughout park and in accomodation, lovely waking up to see the wildlife on your doorstep. We will definatley be going back very soon.

1  Thank Claire T
Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed in teh lakeside apratments. The toilet floor was ticky and we had to call out someone to look at our leaqking toilet or whatever it was. Not impressed!
Whinfell is a nice forest.
The place is expenseive and the food is pretty bad so I suggest take your own.

We wnet to the curry house there and this was OK but about 50% more expensive than a typical curry house and I have been to many.
We also wentto Bella Italia and this was just pants. Soggy Pizza - sent back and got another and thsi was bad too so they discounted this off teh bill. The wife had pasta which clearly was put together by an inexperienced chef. This is the sort of thing I woudl make a home and not something I would expect a restaurant claimed to theme Italy provde. Absolute disgrace! The service at bella italia was great!

The Parc market is expensive. They didnt charge us for the crazy golf which I expect was because it is exptremely run down and if they did charge I would have complained after so that was one saving grace. It sounds like they are reluctant to spend any money on the place. The swimming pool was Ok but the smallest one I have been to in the centre parcs portfolio.

Center parcs need to up their game or reduce their prices. I expect they will do neither nor do I expect them to refund me for a sticky bathroom floor when I arrived and throughout the stay.

The first time I went to center parcs was in Elvenden forest a few years ago, they brought out cold spag bol. When I asked what happend they said they "forgot to put in microwave" - seriously. I complained and they gave me a hamper for my next visit. Did they? Nope - When I arrived at Sherwood they had to send out someone to do a quick shop at their market to give us some essentials. A good indication of what center parcs is all about.

I was in lake ap 79 if you wantto refund me customer services!!! Somehow I just dont see it!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank james j
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Well where to start? We stayed in Whinfell. We've both been to sherwood, so there'll be some comparisons.
Accommodation. Executive Lodge. Firstly, why would you need some huge private villa? An apartment is perfectly adequate for sleeping in and eating in. You're going to be out all day aren't you?? Anyway. It does need a revamp, however it's perfectly serviceable if you're not too fussy about the decadence. Plus, they are PERFECTLY located - 5 mins from main centre and swimming, 10 from the sports hall and aqua sana (I'll come to that) 20 from the car park, all walking and all beautiful walks.
Swimming. This was very good. Different to Sherwood, but great. Sherwood has a larger main pool and wave machine I'm sure, but the slides are good fun, even for two nearly 30 year olds! In fact there were some 50-60 year olds who were loving them too. Do be prepared to get a few bruises and knocks.
Aqua Sana. Book in here for a three hour stint. We did the midnight one. It's lovely, it really is. There's about 10 different sauna rooms, two pools, loads of specialist treatments, water beads and sofas and...well, it's a brilliantly relaxing experience.
Whinfell itself. Well it's nit as large as Sherwood which is a good thing if you're happy walking everywhere. We didn't feel the need for a bike once, but then, we're happy walking anywhere.
Sops and reataurants. Well yes, they can be slightly overpriced, but in general it's about the same as eating in a big city like Manchester or London. Rule of thumb...don't eat out there a lot! Eat in, get some pizzas and a barbecue going (you can't BBQ in or around the apartments I might add)
We wanted relaxing and it was. We played badminton (£8 for 45 mins - not bad) swam a LOT which is free and fun (we did 2-3 hours at a time as there are a lot of areas to the pool), walked around, saw the red squirrels (only at Whinfell I believe, and they ran within two feet of us whilst we got some great pictures!).
I'd say they're all gonna be the same and you need to pick whatever suits. Sod the reviews to be honest, because you'll make it what you want it to be. The reviews will tell you so much, like which apartments are located best etc, but don't rely on them. You'll enjoy it, wherever you go!

Room Tip: The apartments are perfectly located, and the ducks will come to your door, but they can be noisy! G...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alexshaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#4 of 11 in Penrith

Been to Center Parcs Whinfell Forest? Share your experiences!