“Great family experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penrith
Center Parcs Whinfell Forest
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great family experience”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We have been to this particular site 2 years running now as a family of 6 . We particularly like the fact that we can take our dog, however it is only certain lodges you can stay in with the dog , and you do get charged extra for the dog. The site is very family friendly and there is so much to do when you are there, including restaurants, shops, a spa and there is the swimming pool in the main complex which is free to use. The lodges are very clean, very modern and spacious. I would recommend purchasing activities once you arrive as when you arrive there are often offers on for cheaper activities. We particularly enjoyed the quad biking , a little pricy but definitely worth it.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauren C
Sharon_Center_Parcs, Guest Services Executive at Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
I am delighted that you find Center Parcs to be the ideal holiday location for “all the family”.

Whilst I appreciate your recommendation, we would always advise pre booking activities to avoid disappointment. As there are limited spaces available, our most popular activities do tend to get fully booked prior to arrival.

Kind regards
Guest Services Executive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,222)
Sandbac
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have visited Whinfell many times. It was the first time we have had fab weather which was a bonus. We have yet again had a lovely time. We stayed in Seven Pines accommodation was clean and had everything we needed. We played short tennis, squash, snooker, visited the ranger lodge to see small mammals and the more energetic took part in a soccer tournament. The only criticism I have is that you pay a lot more to go in school holidays making centre parcs an expensive short break. But it's a holiday that all our three children (aged19, 16 and 2) enjoy which makes it worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had a wonderful break, staying in an Executive 4 bed villa with infra red room. Accommodation was great but was a good 20 minute walk to centre (73 Meadowview). The village was immaculate and all the staff were very helpful the only downside was the prices in the restaurants and bars. The food was extremely over-priced for very basic menus, we tried most of the restaurants and they were all of the same standard. Take as much food and drink with you as eating out for large families is extortionate.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Diane S
Sharon_Center_Parcs, Guest Services Executive at Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I was sorry to find that you feel our prices for food and drink are expensive. We do regularly review our prices and aim to maintain a balance with many major retail outlets both regionally and nationally. Indeed you will find restaurants from successful high street brands on our villages which ensures our guests are offered a quality dining experience at a competitive price.

I was pleased to see that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I had not been back to a center parc since my daughters were small children we stayed at Sherwood Forest, they are now 22 & 20, I booked Whinfell because it is in a beautiful part of the country, the stay was excellent we had a 4 Bed Lodge for 8 people, myself & my partner, my sister our best friends my daughter & her boyfriend and youngest member was my daughter of 20, what a mixed bunch but we all had a fab time, the lodge was a great size but felt the outside area/seating could be improved, the only activity we booked was ten pin bowling great fun, the rest of the time we cycled, (the cycle/exercise trail was brilliant) and we used the brilliant sub-tropical pools, the outside one was very warm and enjoyable (didn't expect that in England), The rest of the time we ate,drank and enjoyed each others company my 50th Birthday meal in the lodge was great with wonderful gifts from all my friends and family, Love you all & thank you xx ps would defiantly book again, it is great for all ages not just the little ones.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KAREN B
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned from a 3 night weekend stay Center Parcs, Whinfell to celebrate a 60th birthday.10 years since our last visit and can't figure out why we left it so long! Grandparents, parents and children stayed at a lodge on Fell View. Excellent accommodation maintained to a good standard. Excellent facilities and activities which can be quite expensive but the pool and play parks kept the children occupied for most of the stay. They were also happy to play outside the lodge and you always get the sense that it is a safe environment for kids that lets them deal with the risk of a natural environment. Checking in and out could not be simpler and everything is explained clearly on arrival. One criticism is the disregard of the rule and excessive speed of some of the guests' vehicles around the site especially on day of departure. I would be the last to advocate speed bumps (loath them) around the site but I think guests need to be educated about the reasons for speed restrictions and perhaps more speed indicators. That said a great stay and a great way to celebrate an event. It left everyone in the party wanting more and vowing to return.We will be back ....................................... sooner rather than later!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We visited Center Parcs at the beginning of June saying in a woodland lodge for 4 nights. To say the least we were very impressed. Lots to do without spending a fortune! We had mixed weather so did a range of activities. My 9 month old daughter absolutely loved in swimming facilities. We've booked to return again in November a couple of days after we got home as we enjoyed it so much! The Parc Supermarket is also very well priced. We won't waste our bringing all our food up with us next time! Looking forward to returning!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Chelsea T
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in Heather Glade for a 3 night weekend break - 4 adults and 2 children aged 2 and 5. I made the same mistake as last time (Doh!) of booking too many activities for the kids. It really isn't necessary, the pool and the playpark are enough to keep them amused, but if you are tempted by the huge range of activities on offer don't do what I did and try to do more than one thing a day!
Lots of people hire bicycles and seem to have lots of fun on them but actually none of the distances in the resort require them - everywhere is perfectly walkable with the possible exception of the equestrian centre which is a bit of a trek for little ones.
Arrival is slick. Accommodation is well designed for families, and the Executive 2 storey (the only I can comment on) is very comfortable with high quality finishes. The Sports Plaza is very impressive with excellent facilities. The Village Centre has a great selection of restaurants and shops. Staff are universally helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant - including the security guard who spilt his coffee rushing at high speed to my house after my 2 year old made an emergency call (unknown to me). The swimming pool really is the highlight of the visit and can keep a family amused for hours each day. We ate in Dexters, the Sports Cafe, Bella Italia and The Lakeside Inn. All decent quality and value given that they have a captive audience, and very family friendly. Likewise the onsite supermarket offers good variety at decent value. My only criticism is the same as last time - the lack of laundry facilities. However, an ideal location for a family holiday that I highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth C
Sharon_Center_Parcs, Guest Services Executive at Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your visit to Whinfell Forest .

It is always a pleasure to read constructive comments left by our guests and I was delighted to find that we continue to meet with your expectations.

You may be interested to know, that our Housekeeping team do offer a laundry service, details of which are available from Guest Services and I am sorry if you were unaware of this.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Services Executive
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#13 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Center Parcs Whinfell Forest? Share your experiences!