Acorn Guest House
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Another Place, The Lake(Watermillock)
View Hotel
All reviewstown centrestayed herelicensed bartriple roomnew ventureowners were friendlycoast to coast bike ridefresh local producewarm welcomefriendly couplefull englishprivate parkinga great nights sleepfive minute walkcontinental breakfasttwo night staylovely guesthouse
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

After cycling 53 miles from Whitehaven this is the perfect place to bed down.My host Anita was helpful,kind and chatty.
The room was just right,comfy,warm and clean
Thanks and see you in the future
Paul

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I've just stayed here as I had to attend a funeral in Penrith, the rooms are a good size and spotless. Nothing was too much trouble, parking right outside, tea, coffee tv, on-suite large spotless bathroom. It's right on the coast to coast route as well. Can't thank the owners (Joyce and family) for the sensitivity they showed me during my stay. I am happy to,recommend this b&b to anyone,it really would be hard to beat !

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Needed a stopover on the way back from a family wedding in Scotland and were lucky enough to be directed to The Acorn by a local publican.
Really clean and comfortable room in a lovely town. Anita and Joyce are really welcoming and friendly but the star of the show was the breakfast! Fresh, quality ingrediants served with as much tea/coffee/orange juice and toast as you wanted.

Would highly recommend and will definately return in the future

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I've been here five times now. Each time staying a week, so I've spent five weeks of my life in the Acorn. It's wonderful! My main reason for staying was for a quite place to write so I spent nearly all the time in the room and going out to eat - so my opinion's well sourced.

There are many places nearby to eat and the entire town has a relaxing atmosphere compared to London. A wonderful place to get some writing done. Even the lighting levels in the hallway seem to be relaxing.

You may start to see tiny things that could be better if you spend as long there as I have done... The bathroom door handle was a little broken I think, and the cups in the room could be a little bigger, but that's nothing on the scheme of things!

Anita and Joyce will help with anything, nothing is to big or small, and the breakfast is perfect! Always tastes better when somebody else cooks it, doesn't it? When I was there the eggs were locally sourced and free range/organic, yummy! We don't get that in London...

Comfortable bed, classic tea in the rooms, information pack about the town, and enough floor space for a little exercise for those who have the urge. Great place.

Room Tip: The front side is louder but has a brilliant view of... They're called Fells, apparently.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We were a party of 10 cyclists on C2C arriving late on 6th July for an overnight stop. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and comfortable by the lovely family running the B&B. It was spotlessly clean, warm and professionaly operated. We were allocated space inside the house to store our 10 bikes overnight which was much appreciated as we had some very expensive kit with us.
Rooms were clean warm and spacious. Breakfast was excellant and prepared by the family more than willing to feed hungary cyclists for their onward journey, our was to Stanhope.
The overwhelming consesus was - and excellant choice by our Jackie who made the booking.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends