“Pleasant hotel- fantastic deal”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here mid week on a travelzoo deal, beautiful room, quaint old hotel and staff were great. We had a room, afternoon tea and 3 course meal for £129. Great deal only negative thing to say was that the choice on the menu was limited on the deal, plus it cost £10 each to upgrade on the menu. Food was nice but not memorable, cheese board for desert Only had 3 small pieces of cheese. Other than that every thing was great very peacefull place to stay! The decor of the hotel is nice it's been done up to a great standard!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Daniel T
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Daniel T:
Many thanks for your recent review on your stay with us here in Penrith.
It is lovely to see that you enjoyed the old worldly feel of The George and the fact that the Hotel has been furnished to a great standard. The staff will appreciate your kind words and hopefully we will see you return whenever you are back in the Lake District

Kind Regards from the team here at The George

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have recently spent three days at the George, whilst visiting the area on business, firstly the hotel,quaint and old country house in style, the staff in the majority helpful and pleasant apart from one instance when myself and a colleague were sat at a table in the lounge where there were the remnants of someone else's lunch, not only did the waitress not clear the table but having passed us several times, neither did she ask if there was anything we would like ??, poor customer service on both counts I think !!. But my real reason for the revue is the quality or should I say lack of quality in the food.
The menus are winter type menus full of heavy sauces and I would have expected something more seasonal as not only are we in spring but on the door step of summer !!!, the quality is of a poor nature and seems to be dishes that have been thrown together with no care and passion , notably a Chicken Curry which was almost in edible and black in colour, the quality did not improve over the next evening so myself and the rest of my colleagues decided to eat out for the final evening of our stay, not a good advert for the hotel, I think the hotel either needs to seriously look at the make up and quality of there menus and food or invest in a Chef that can actually cook and has an ounce of skill and passion about his craft.
Whilst I take no great delight or glee from criticising, unless people speak out and express their views standards will never improve, so whilst I expect a verbal bashing and strong denials from the kitchen staff if they read this I do hope that it will spark however small a sense of professional pride to strive to do better !!!.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank Mark M
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Kev B

In response to your review, we have little more to say.
Whatever issues you have, as regarding your stay here at the George with the welcome you received, you have now crossed the line in regards to the fact that we would not bow down to the bullying we received from your group.
Considering you are chefs in the trade we find your report is highly innapropriate, vindictive and personal towards the staff at The George

The fact you waited to be served in the lounge, I will address as we do have the busiest Coffee Lounge in the area with locals and visitors alike revisiting day after day.

Kind Regards

John Dawes

Deputy Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I spent the Easter weekend in this old comfortable friendly hotel. It has kept all the original components and has that feeling of old worldliness about it. The location is excellent and was good for my Father who is 82 years old and he could walk out into the street and to the restruarant with ease. Staff in the hotel were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you, I liked that they didn't chase me for a credit card as soon as I put my foot in through the door as some hotels do. Brekfast in the morning was plentifull, and we enjoyed looking out of the window into the street and staff put some tables together so we could eat together. Our rooms were comfortable, although my brother heard a lot of noise on the Saturday night. So make sure you ask for a quiet room. I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TruescotGala
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I popped into the George hotel for an afternoon drink and a very nice homemade scone served with jam & cream. It was fairly quiet and a very polite gentleman took our order and within minutes our drinks and food arrived,I have to say it was lovely food and a very nice relaxed seating area.I will definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at the George, on a DBB basis, with an added extra of tea and scones on arrival. It is like stepping back in time, the hotel is an old building with uneven creaky floors and a wealth of history shown via numerous pictures on the walls. This also extends to the level of service from the staff, who are hard working, polite and courteous at all times. We had a lovely club room, which was very clean, with a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. We found the food to be of a good standard, especially the breakfasts. Very nice real ale as well. Would recommend.

3  Thank AlexCrewe78
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Beautiful hotel, welcoming staff and good service. Very comfortable, huge bed and lovely clean rooms. Enormous bathroom. We had scones and tea on arrival as part of the deal we had booked, I would have preferred clotted cream with them but I guess its a matter of taste. The deal included a three course meal which was excellent and a wonderful breakfast. All in all fantastic value and a super atmosphere. We will definitely return to this chain of hotels in the Lake District.

Room Tip: We had room 4, a fabulous room but no view as it overlooked the car park. Didn't cause us a pro...
2  Thank Helen688
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Attracted in by the lovely table settings of crisp white linen and china through the windows. Proper teapots that pour, towers of cakes and savory treats like Welsh rarebit and fish fingers on ciabatta . News papers to read by the fire too. Great for a leisurely Sunday afternoon tea with waitress service and nice old fashioned style.

3  Thank Margie R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Travelodge Penrith
Travelodge Penrith
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Roundthorn Country House

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!