“Awful disappointment”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Penrith
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Awful disappointment”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived at the George Hotel and my mother and I decided to have afternoon tea, we thought we would have been seated in the main restaurant with the other customers having afternoon tea, but we where left in the reception area.
Being served tea with water jugs and left, not one staff member approached us after this, the water was only able to fill one cup and the selection of sandwiches and cakes where limited to two choices both did not good at all.

We approached the reception desk and paid ( not asked any questions if the food was suitable, as most of it was not eaten)

We are here on holiday and will not be back having booked for tea in a different hotel with our family.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear 121Weggers

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience with your afternoon tea.
I would like to speak to your directly so that I can investigate the circumstances and hopefully restore a little faith.
I can be contacted on 01768 862696, where I assure you of my best attention
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lovely location, hotel full of character but our afternoon tea was disappointing. The staff are very friendly and helpful but the tea was not a patch on some of the other hotels in the Lake District hotels group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Bramble22

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit and I am pleased that you found the hotel full of character and the staff very friendly and helpful. If could please contact me directly on 01768 8862696, I would like to discuss your experience in further detail

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My wife and I have just spent 2 nights at the George Hotel and Friday 11th July and Sat 12July and can honestly say it was the worst food I have experienced.
On the Saturday night we were served a Roast Beef dinner and the roast potatoes were dry and hard and tasted as though been re-heated a couple of times and the veg was no better as was the Yorkshire pudding which was dry and hard and a struggle to cut with knife.
The breakfast was the same standard and made worse on the sat morn when the breakfast was brought out as we sat down with our cereals and then the server took it away we thought we would get hot replacement but were given same food 5 mins later luke-warm.
All above complaints we made to catering manager John and supervisor Tom who tasted potatoes etc and agreed with me but all we were offered was a free desert.
The Room was nicely decorated but was uncomfortable hot and impossible to have window open due to street noise which went on till about 3 in morn.
I spoke to guests in lounge in morn and they said noise worse at back of hotel due to night club noise

Room Tip: Don't Go
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leonard1211
Dear leonard1211

Thank your for you feedback on your recent stay with us and I am sorry that on this occasion we didn't meet your expectations. I believe that you were offered complimentary drinks as well as dessert. However it was nice to sit and chat with you and I hope to see you when you pass this way again. I hope Everton have a good season this year too!

Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We went to the George Hotel for a champagne afternoon tea at the weekend. The hotel is very charming and full of character. The staff were attentive and the plate of goodies that were brought to us were very tasty; the sandwiches, scones and a top layer of cakes that we just couldn't manage.
When we first sat down a pot of tea was brought straight over......the only problem was that after 10 minutes we still didn't have any milk. So I had to go and ask for some. Then when we tasted the tea it was horrible! I would have expected Earl Gray or at least a decent English breakfast tea but I think we had Basic of Basics tea dregs! The tea didn't compliment the scummy cakes and sandwiches at all.
If you're going to go to town on the cream tea, then at least serve a decent tea...one that actually tastes like tea and not some discount brand!
A shame but the rest was nice

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear MoosirEm

Thank you for your recent review of the your visit to The George. I am pleased that you found the staff attentive and that you enjoyed the section of scones, sandwiches and cakes.
We serve Twinings Tea at The George and we could have replaced your tea to Earl Grey if you had mentioned at the time.
Hopefully the fact that you enjoyed your Afternoon tea overall will ensure that you have a return visit and enjoy some Earl Grey in the near future

Many thanks
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was great. Myself and my fiancé (both in our 20's) stayed here for our 4 year anniversary together last week and it was a really good stay.
The staff are very welcoming and friendly. The hotel is spotlessly clean and has some real character. We specifically chose a hotel like this instead of a boring generic travelodge and we are so glad we did. The secret escapes deal which we booked was extremely good value and we could not fault anything. The three course meal was excellent. I chose from the included menu and my fiancé chose from the a la carte paying just £10 to upgrade and both meals were of a very high standard and were lovely. Compliments to the chef. The room was great and breakfast was really nice too. All in all we had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay and we will go back next time we are in the area.
I cannot understand some of the other reviews of this place - just your usual trip advisor moaners! The hotel and Penrith is far from run down if you book here you will have a great stay.

Thank you to all of the staff working on the 26th and 27th June you were all great and made us feel really welcome.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bigblade40
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Bigblade40

Lovely review of your recent stay with us!
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay for your 4th anniversary and for choosing The George.
It is strange sometimes when people cannot see the investment that has gone into the premises but it gives me great satisfaction to see that most people can see the obvious!
I will pass on your thanks to the staff on the dates of your stay as they always appreciate the comments and I am pleased you had a relaxing stay

Hope to see you next year!

Kind Regards and Thank you
Fareham, UK
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Celebrating our wedding anniversary my wife and I settled upon the George Hotel in Penrith as a base for our Lake District trip. Booked accommodation through Secret Escapes.

After a 6.5 hour drive (might have been quicker if we hadn't been stuck on the M6 car park), we found the hotel and checked in. Extremely pleasant member of staff offered us help with our luggage and because we were late checking in gave us a voucher for our complimentary tea and scones to be taken at some other time during our stay.

Our room, 3rd floor and no lift so please be warned that if you have an issues with stairs to enquire of the hotel if you can be accommodated on the 1st floor where there is at least a stair lift.

I would take issue with other guests who criticise the interior décor. It is not run down, it is clean, tidy and quirkily old fashioned. Just like hotels of the Georgian era. Rather this than the stereotyped décor of some large chain hotels.

Staff (all staff) were attentive, courteous and professional, stopping to have a chat if time allowed.

Accommodation was clean, comfortable the bathroom looked as though it had been recently upgraded. The housekeeping staff were extremely good. Never before have I been to a hotel where you pass the time of day with housekeeping, while on your way to breakfast, who are obviously working elsewhere, and upon your return your room has been clean and tidied. We were at the front of the hotel and found the room slightly stuffy so had both sets of windows open. Unfortunately this contributed to on an average score on sleep quality because of the noise outside of the hotel during the evening. Revellers on their way home at 2:00am then deliveries to hotel and the shops. I didn't find it much of an issue but my wife did and if she did then I have to !!

Restaurant - breakfasts were very good. Get your own cereal, fruit, yoghurts etc. and tell the staff what you want for your cooked breakfast. All done in a very timely manner. Again staff could not be faulted.
Dinner - on the first evening we booked for 20:30 but didn't get in until 21:00. No matter. Tom kept us up to date with matters, got us a drink and we sat in the lounge. We were on holiday and no going anywhere so did it matter ? The next 2 evenings we booked our tables and were seated within 5 mins of the allocated time. Thurs and Friday we ate from the normal menu. If I am honest the choice was limited and did we have to have chunky chips with everything ? Could chef no include mash or new potatoes or ..? But what there was was well cooked, presented and plenty of it. Saturday we tried the a la carte at an extra £10:00 per person. Better choice but still well cooked and presented and not a chunky chip in sight. Staff very good.
A word of praise for the chef. Two evenings the hotel had an Ullswater College prom and then the following evening a wedding. On both evenings we were not kept waiting anything more than the normal time for our dinner. Well done chef.

Belated tea and scones were taken upon our return from a day excursion. Slightly disappointing that it was only one scone per person. Aren't there normally two ? Also what happened to the clotted cream ? Cream appeared to be our of an aerosol ?

Can I also point out that the management might wish to look into why it was the fire alarm went off four times during our stay. Three times alone on Saturday. Now either it is the fault of staff or guests or a fault on the system. My money is on former rather than latter but still four times is four times too many. Still at least it made you focus on the escape room info posted in each room. How many of us never bother to read it when staying at hotels home or abroad.

Recommendation. If you like walking then do pick up a copy of the walking guide sold at reception. We did and did the walk at Little Salkeld and then the one up to the Penrith Beacon. The first one was very enjoyable, finishing with tea and a slab of cake at the Watermill Organic café. but the one to the beacon was disappointing because trees obscured the view over Penrith towards Ullswater. A note to the powers that be wouldn't go amiss.
Also we did go to Pooley Bridge and had a steamer trip on Ullswater which is about 7 miles from the hotel Note: the car parks charges are a bit pricey. £5:00 for 4 hours or £7:00 for 12 hours. We opted for a fiver and hoped to do a bit of a walk around Glenridding. With the steamer timetable and the length of walk we would have been back 10-15 mins later than our expiry time on the ticket. So we opted to stay on and do the round trip. £26:00 for two for a 2.5 hour round trip.

All in all a very enjoyable stay at the George and if we ventured north of Watford again to the Lakes then would opt for the George for our accommodation.

Room Tip: Try and get one away from the front of the hotel. Although double glazed if you have to have the win...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fred_Fareham_UK
Dear Fred_Fareham_uk

Many thanks for choosing The George to celebrate your recent wedding anniversary and that you enjoyed the fabulous new refurbishment of the Hotels lounge, Devonshire Restaurant and Bar.

Indeed a huge amount of time has gone into getting the décor to suit The George as a traditional yet professional relaxing environment with a thriving local and visitor base, of which we are very proud

I am especially pleased that the staff took time to chat with you and that you found them attentive, courteous and professional and I will pass on your comments.

Once again thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Trip Advisor and we hope we can be of service on your next anniversary

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were in Penrith, hungry and not in the mood for fast food. We'd been to the George many years ago and left disappointed but we thought we would try again and were delighted with our choice.

The restaurant is tastefully decorated in a traditional way and there is the option of a set menu or a la carte. We chose the 3-course option with wine (for a little over £20 per person) and we very pleased with what we had.

The service was discreet but friendly, the portions were a sensible size and we didn't feel rushed at all.

Would we go back? Yes, we would.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve C
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Steve C

Thank you for you recent review on Trip advisor.

The Devonshire Restaurant is perfect for a relaxed lunch and I am pleased that you found it good value with three courses and a bottle of wine at £20 per person.

The staff will be pleased that you found the service discreet and relaxed and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future

Once again thank you

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Edenhall Country House Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
The Borrowdale Hotel
#3 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!