“Afternoon Tea at "The George"”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed 17 August 2014

After receiving a gift voucher for a full afternoon tea at "The George" as a Christmas present, today (after pre booking yesterday) my wife and I decided to take tea at the "The George". Having lived in Penrith all of my life over the years I have had a few meals, a drink or three in the bar (mainly when Jenny was in command) attended weddings and wakes; but never afternoon tea.
"The George" is considered Penrith's flagship hotel by Penrithians all know it, slap bang in the middle of town.
We arrived at our pre-booked time reported to reception, we then where asked to take a seat in the lounge whilst our table was prepared, no problem we are just relaxing on a Sunday afternoon.
While we waiting my wife pointed out that quite a few tables had been vacated and needed to be cleared, the empty table that we found ourselves seated at had been cleared but not wiped; some others were also in the same condition.
After ten minutes we were shown to our table, brilliant right in the front window looking onto Devonshire street (great for people watching), it then took fifteen minutes for the tea to arrive, the waiter told us that there was only one fruit scone left. Would we like a cheese scone or extra cake? Cheese scone thanks. After another twenty five minutes and one pot of tea later the food arrived, good job there was no rush eh!
Sandwiches, Scones (1 fruit, 1 Cheese) jam (it was red, butter in foil packs) and cream (from a can), cakes (sponge and lemon cheese cake), eaton mess in a shot glass, and a biscuit.
Lets just say I was really looking forward to this experience but we were both left disappointed.
Not with the wait, its Sunday afternoon and we were relaxing, it was the quality of the food.
Non of the cakes or scones (1 fruit, 1 cheese) were made in the kitchen everything was bought in. The sandwiches were poorly made in house with supermarket sliced bread crusts off. I was expecting home made cakes, scones and fancy sandwiches made with bread from artisan bakers. Perhaps we just got unlucky with our timing in the day or I was expecting to much? I guess I'll never know, as I doubt we will return for afternoon tea at "The George".
The one thing I'm not looking forward to is being asked by the provider of the gift voucher of our experience of afternoon tea at "The George", I don't want to sound ungrateful, Just glad I wasn't paying!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear LakesmanCumbria

Thank you for bringing to my attention your recent visit to The George.
It seems that on this particular visit we have not met with your expectations.
I would like to take the opportunity to invite you both to a complimentary return in the near
future where I assure you of my best attention and hopefully restore a little faith.

If you could please call on 01768 862696 and ask to speak to John

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This was probably the 10th time I've stayed in this hotel. Nicely laid out in a central location and only a10 minute walk from the train station.
I have always stayed here on business trips and always just for a single night. The place hasn't changed much in the 8 years I've been coming and the decor is starting to look a bit jaded. Service in the bar and at reception was really quite slow and for that reason decided not to have my evening meal in the hotel and go elsewhere.
Saying that, the rooms are small, but very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was quite good with an excellent selection.
The rates we got did provide good value for money and I will probably come again next year, but I think a rethink on staying levels and decor is now required

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nozbeast
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Nozbeast

Many thanks for being such a loyal customer with over 8 years staying with us here at The George.
For your information, The George has had substantial investment over the last couple of years with a complete refurbishment of the Dappers bar, the ground floor lounges and The Devonshire Restaurant.
The bedrooms are on a constant programme of investment, so I fail to see how the décor is becoming a bit jaded.
I look forward to meeting you on your next business trip, and I assure you of my best attention

Kind Regards and once again thank you for your loyalty to The George

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The lounge and bar area were very cosy and relaxing, nothing was too much trouble for the staff but the hotel was understaffed on the Saturday night, no waiter service in the lounge. The dinner the first night was fine but the second night we ordered chicken risotto off the set menu but we got chicken with tomatoes and onions, we were offer a replacement but we had a table of 8, and 6 of us already had the meal served. When the restaurant manager came over he was very blunt with no apology and told us the chef was aware of the error on the menu. The bedrooms on the back overlooking the car park are very noisy from the local nightclub. We booked 4 club rooms which 2 were small , there isn't a lift so it made it difficult for my parents. We won't be staying again.

Room Tip: A club room on the front not a room overlooking the car park, due to the noise from a night club nea...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracy D
georgehotelpenrith, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Tracy D

Thank you for your review upon Trip Advisor and that you found in general a good hotel and that that nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

I am sorry to hear there was an error on two of the meals on the Saturday night but you enjoyed your meals on the Friday.

It is a shame we do not have a lift, but to put one into a building such as The George with different floor levels and a fabulous Ballroom right in the middle on the second floor would be extremely challenging!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Penrith is a lovely market town in Cumbria with great local shops, pubs the way they used to be a an old fashioned welcoming hotel in the George.
The ground floor has a lovely lounge, small bar and dining room which are homely and very busy with locals and residents and nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are friendly and helpful.
Dinner was fine on the set menu but on our second night I found that by paying an extra £10 a move on to the a la carte menu was more than worthwhile. Well worth the money.
Our bedroom was comfortable but small, as was the bathroom with the inevitable shower over the bath and we had to close the bedroom window at night for the noise from what I assumed was the the hotel kitchen extraction fan system.
It is also unfortunate that the hotel does not have an elevator as we were on the second floor and living in a bungalow we took badly to the stairs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear jasah

So pleased you enjoyed your stay in Penrith and that you enjoyed what The George has to offer.
Indeed an old fashioned welcome in fabulous surroundings with friendly and helpful staff where nothing is too much trouble. Lovely choice of words

We do have a stairlift to the first floor so upon your next visit ask for a first floor room so that you can save on the legs.

Many thanks for your kind review

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at the george recently with our daughter and mum and had a lovely stay. The staff and surroundings made this one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The food was lovely and the staff couldn't have been more welcoming, friendly or helpful. Whilst we were there we attended the Murder Mystery event, Four funerals and a wedding which was great fun. Would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Club rooms are worth it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ruth T

Aren't the Murder Mysteries fabulous?. It was such a good night, they always are!

Many thanks for your wonderful review on Trip advisor and that you found the hotel one of the nicest places you have ever stayed!

The staff will be thrilled to read your review as they do work so very hard to be welcoming and friendly.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Enjoyed the friendly attentive service. Hearty breakfast, dinner excellent, both the food and service very good. The George Hotel is well worth a visit - it's right in the centre of Penrith so good for shopping and a wander, also good base for the Lakes.

Room Tip: Splash out and book room 5. A beautiful room, very large with lovely decor. Very quiet too.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Yorkielas

Fantastic to hear that you found The George well worth a visit and that the service was attentive with excellent food.
Room 5 is indeed a lovely room and adds that little extra luxury to a great base for Penrith and the Lakes
One again many thanks for taking the time to give us such a nice review

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay here...on a special deal with evening meal and Pimms and strawberries on arrival, with free room upgrade.
Room was spacious, clean and lovely big comfortable bed.
Staff very attentive
Food was gorgeous ( although service very slow) but there was a wedding on in the hotel...
Hotel Central for everything.
Will be returning soon.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear julieparr

Fabulous review and many thanks for posting on Trip advisor
I am so pleased you had a lovely stay and you found your room spacious, clean and comfortable
It is also pleasing to here that the staff were very attentive and that you will be returning soon

Once again many thanks