“Relaxing stay”

North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed for 2 nights on the Affinity points scheme which meant I got 2 nights B&B plus enough to buy one evening meal. Who says loyalty cards are not worth it!
This was my first stay here although I have done a few other Shire hotels.
This one is a bit tired on the outside, i gues the weather in Cumbria doesen't help. The room we had was also in need of a bit of TLC and compared to other Shire hotels I have stayed in is a long way behind. All that said we had a great stay, the food was very good and the staff were excellent. The pool and spa facilities were exceptionally good hence my 4 rating. Worth mentioning the parking is free too. We had free wifi too.
Would definetely stay again and ideal for access to The Lakes.

Room Tip: 2 choices really, front has car park for a view and rear has some grass and some resedential housing...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for your recent review, I am glad you recognise the value in our loyalty programme, and thank you for the super comments about the team.

Antony Penny - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed for one night on our way to Scotland. On arriving the exterior looks a bit tired but once you get inside it is really nice. Great pool and spa area, wish we'd had more time to make the most of those facilities. Great food and rooms very comfortable. However no fridge in our room (family room) and didn't have any face cloths either.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you for the lovely comments, hope you enjoyed your break in Scotland. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

I really liked this hotel - the staff were friendlly and professional without being stuffy or over familiar , the public areas very attractive - rooms quite nice (not the best maintained or the most attractive/comfortable for the price - hence my 4/5 rating).
The food like the room was pricey but what I had was very nice and couldn't really fault it .
The complimentry toiletries and spa product plus use of the pool and jacuzzi were a welcome treat .
I'd go back simply because of the brilliant staff , good food and smart feel to the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you for your comments, especially about the team! Please don’t leave it too long before you return.

Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel in December, very nice room, pool and food, my company paid for it so not sure of cost but would stay here again

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your recent review, we'll look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I recently organised a conference at the hotel and, as usual, our arrangements changed on a daily basis. However, the hotel events team were magnificent and accommodated all my changes, even though we were still making them on the day of arrival.
The meeting rooms used were ideal for our needs and everything had been arranged in advance of our arrival. We were able to put any additional needs onour main bill which also assisted greatly.
All our delegates were very happy wit the rooms which they said were comfortable and had good facilities for an overnight stay - although if you were staying a little longer and using the hotel as a base for a tour of the Lakes then it would also be ideal.
It's just a short walk from the railway station if you are coming in by train, but there was plenty of parking on site.
The interior of the hotel certainly outdoes the exterior, and there was lots of space in the lounge areas for small break-off meetings, lots of room in the bar and the restaurant in the evening was excellent. Food was really tasty, very well-presented and we had excellent service from the team in the restaurant - our complements to the chef!
This was our first stay at the hotel but we are now looking to bring our Winter conference here also. Many of our delegates are also considering it for a leisure break of their own as the spa and hotel pool on site looked really nice an dthe location is great for getting out ih to the Eden Valley.
Penrith is a lovely town - I only wish we'd had time to explore it!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Pollyanna1
ShireHotels, Antony Penny - General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Thank you so much for this fabulous feedback, it means the world to the team. Let’s hope to see you again in the winter.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love this hotel and stay at least once a year...and again for Christmas,I got engaged here 16 years ago, conceived my first child here (sorry TMI) and now as parents of three children spend every christmas here,in fact they call it their 'Christmas hotel!'

It is a wonderful place and you are made to feel so special and nothing is a problem,even one Christmas day they got my daughter some Calpol at 2am!! Thats service and no charge either!

Food is wonderful and always seasonal and the spa to die for. Only down side I would say is the view but hey that cannot be helped.

See you Christmas..

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your recent review, I am delighted that we continue to keep you happy, and look forward to seeing you at Christmas time.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

"Unfortunately we can't move the hotel" was the response I got from the receptionist when I said for £159.90 for one night B&B I was expecting a slightly nicer view than a grass bank with a housing estate behind it. If you are looking for a hotel with a very good gym & swimming pool close to a M6 junction, this hotel fits the bill at a price, if you are looking for a country hotel this is not it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry the view from your room was not what you expected. Ullswater is only 10 minutes away, but not quite in view unfortunately. I do hope the rest of your stay was satisfactory

Antony Penny - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
20 mi away
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to North Lakes Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!