“Disappointing”

North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A bit of a shock on arrival, only what I could describe as 'smurf blue'. On entering the hotel although it was lovely I found it much too dark especially on a lovely sunny day. The room was very disappointing compared to cheap economy hotels I have stayed in, ripped sheets, very dated, scruffy lamps, tv channels were rubbish... and the doors, well they must have been the heaviest loudest doors I have heard in any hotel I have stayed in, we were kept awake from 1am until 4.30am by other guests in and out all night but because we didnt contact reception every time someone woke us up they werent prepared to do anything about it, although they didnt knock the breakfasts of our bill eventually. Food in the restaurant in the evening was lovely but lunch menu wasnt up to much.Disappointing stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank phonelogic
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your comments & for making us aware of your issues whilst you were here. It really does afford us the opportunity to restore a little faith, and I do hope that you might give us another try at some point in the future.
Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having booked online through a generic booking website, a personal phone call confirming the booking was received within ten minutes, asking for our children's names in order that they could all receive a personalised cookie on arrival. Everything looked and sounded ideal for our needs as a family of five looking for a one night stop over en route to Scotland.

We had a moment of concern having read some recent reviews on here...' Wetherspoon quality food' and 'dirty dated rooms' spring to mind.

From the moment we arrived we were very impressed and everything was absolutely perfect. We knew not to expect too much from the external decor, but beyond that, as a family we were all over the moon. Personal little touches like the kids drinks / cookies in the room and the VI little P dressing gowns made it all the better. We had dinner in the restaurant after a swim in the pool and it was as far from a microwaved Wetherspoon quality meal as you could imagine. Service was excellent and the food amazing quality.

I really cannot praise this hotel highly enough. Staff were super friendly and made our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as we could have wished for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Stuart P
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

What fabulous feedback, thank you so much. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

As many have already said, the exterior aesthetics of this hotel would certainly put you off! The location isn't idyllic but the interior is lovely! Well decorated, warm, cosy and a gorgeous spa pool! The food is absolutely fantastic and such good value for money when paying as part of the package. Would not recommend if you are looking for a picturesque lake hotel but an excellent spot if you plan on venturing/exploring the lakes as it has good road links! Although others have disagreed, I visited as a tourist to the Lake District and was not at all disappointed by the location! Very close to Glenridding where you can get get a boat around Ullswater lake and a lot to do in the area!

Stayed: July 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. So glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have stayed here a couple of times always as a stopover on the way up to the Highlands. We are therefore choosing the hotel to be as close as possible to the M6 and as value for money as possible for a stay. I wouldn't choose to stay here for a holiday. It is in the perfect location for business and travel as it is literally right next to the M6 and it not great to look at aesthetically. However, inside they have done a pretty decent job of decor and the public areas are pretty nice. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and of a good standard. We have stayed in a family room twice which provides a king size bed and bunk beds for children. Excellent. Works well and is very good value for money. They do dinner, bed and breakfast so as long as you don't rack up too much on the bar bill it's excellent value. They also have a spa pool that allows children which is just what everyone needs after a long drive! Therefore for us it's a perfect stopover.

My only downside would be that I would be disappointed if I had chosen this hotel to be a tourist in the Lake District. It's on an industrial estate next to the M6 and is constantly full of conferences, business meetings, weddings and functions.

I would like to commend the hotel for fulfilling its purpose excellently but if I were looking for an idyllic Lake District holiday this would not be the place. Well done though on what it does provide. It is excellent as a stopover.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your comments, and I very much hope that you choose us again when next travelling north.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was staying at this hotel on business for one night. On arrival at the hotel the exterior does not give any indication of what the inside of the hotel is like. The outside is reminiscent of a 1970's building painted in what I have to say is a horrible blue. However, please don't let this put you off, the inside is lovely and is completely different to what I was expecting. I was lucky enough to be able to make use of the spa facilities and thought that the staff were very helpful and accommodating. I was impressed by the quality of the manicure and the taster facial that I had there. Elle was a great therapist. The one and only negative was the breakfast. I was very disappointed with the quality of the food. I did complain about this as the bacon had turned an odd colour and looked like it was going off. The waiter was very courteous and immediately took the breakfast away and offered me an alternative which I took them up on.

On the whole I would have no hesitation at staying at this hotel again and overall it was a very pleasurable experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gourmetglobetrotter

Thank you for your kind review, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am a little baffled by the comments that its dated? its brand new, the inside of the hotel is literally brand spanking new and decorated to an excellent standard, the restaurant is superb the food is amazing, its not cheap but you get what you pay for. The gym/spa/pool etc is top class, very nice clean and seemingly recently renovated to a very high standard.

The only downside was that i booked through an agent on a comparison site and received confirmation that my room was a double with breakfast. When i arrived with my wife i was given a single room only? they said they couldn't change it as thats what expedia (whom i didn't book it with) had sent them? they refused to offer breakfast telling me i would have to pay £30 for it!!! very very poor from that respect, ended up having to go to ambleside for my breakfast!

The steak in the restaurant is Cumbrian beef and top top quality and i dont say that lightly....its expensive but was excellent and the service was very good.

Room Tip: rooms are expensive to be honest
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zor76

Thanks for your review, and I am genuinely sorry that you chose not to accept our gesture of goodwill for the problems you encountered.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

On a coach tour of the area we had no complaints at all with any part of the hotel. Either with the food or our room the staff who were wonderful ,very polite and helpful nothing was to much bother for them They made us very welcome during our four night stay.One small niggle the lift could be choosy as to how many it would accept at a time. Staff were aware of the problem.

Debourne

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank debourne

Many thanks for your comments, and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your UK tour!
Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
20 mi away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
21 mi away
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to North Lakes Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!