“Top notch hotel”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Top notch hotel”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 night to celebrate our 1st anniversary, and we loved it. The "summer treat " deal is the one to go for, dinner, bed & breakfast ! Food is outstanding, staff are very attentive, spa is immaculate but treatments are expensive so we only used the steam room & jacuzzi / pool. Drinks are a little pricey, but for quality ya have to pay that bit extra - well worth a visit & we will return again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barry S
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much, and we look forward to your next visit!
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had a family weekend along with two grandchildren aged 2 and 3yrs. The hotel does not enjoy the views that exist in area but is a good to explore the Lakes and surrounding area. It is comfortable with a pleasant bar area, comfortable dining room and terrace. The staff were very welcoming, helpful and attentive and deserve a special mention.
Restaurant service was excellent and the meals good value. The young children were well catered for. The hotel has a well equipped spar and pool. Rooms are simple and a little worn but have all you need and were very clean. The hotel had a wedding party but this did not affect our service in any way and the hotel seemed to easily cope with this.
We enjoyed warm weather over the weekend and noticed that some areas of the hotel including the bedrooms were warm. The hotel did not appear to have any form of air conditioning and this should be addressed.
Overall a very pleasant stay and we would return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments, especially about the team, much appreciated!
Thurso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here for one night.
The room was basic but clean and tidy very similar to a premier inn standard.
Nothing really to complain about as the stay was ok.
My room had a door which was locked to the adjoining room, unfortunately this didn't block the noise of my neighbours snoring...
The pool and spa are excellent and if I was staying longer I'm sure that I'd have enjoyed more time in the pool. I had a bar meal due to the lateness of my arrival but I have to say the meal was very good and the service was good.

Room Tip: If possible get a room without a door into the adjoining room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked this hotel as a last minute break to escape and all said it was that. We arrived at the hotel to find it set back off the roadside not exactly a great location but ok. When checking in we learnt of a large wedding party which was going on in the hotel. We did all the necessary and went to our room. The room we were given was on the top floor and was fairly presentable and no issues however it was very warm in the room. At first we thought it was because it was a warm day and left the room to explore the spa. The spa is reasonable and has a sauna, steam room, changing facilities and swimming pool/Jacuzzi. Treatment rooms are upstairs and I experienced a treatment as part of my stay which was spot on and received very good service however I feel the accommodation is a hotel with leisure facilities as a spa would have a few more facilities available. All clean and no issues with regards to this. After returning from the spa we decided to relax and order room service. Some soup was ordered and a cheeseboard. The service was really quick however the soup was served without any bread as stated in the room service menu and a cheeseboard consisted of 3 small slabs of cheese, four thin strips of celery, a slab of butter and three thin crackers. It was not really something you could enjoy a glass of wine with and very overpriced. We called the restaurant who then sent up some bread but the whole room service experience was pretty poor. The problem occurred yet again right throughout the evening relating to the heat in the room and we found ourselves then having to sleep with the windows open. I called out to my car on the evening and noticed that all windows along the hotel were open in every room so the heat in the rooms must be an issue as there is no air conditioning in place. This really needs addressing as the summer months will be extremely bad. Breakfast was fine and a good selection available. The staff serve you from a buffet tray which is fine but I thought it needs to be one or the other. You either serve customers to the table or let them help themselves. It was a break at this hotel but there appears to be a few snagging issues. The fact that there was a rather large wedding party did not help matters. The surrounding area is quite sparse and a trip into Penrith took all off 30 minutes. It may be advantageous for the hotel to consider entertainment as there is such a lack of things happening round and about. This hotel is rated as a 4 star but I feel it is probably in the 3 star bracket as there are a few hiccups that need resolving.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning or a fan to keep you cool on a warm day
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am genuinely sorry about the issues you experienced with room service, which I promise to follow up with the team. I am also sorry that you found the hotel uncomfortable in the warm weather, sadly not always the case in Cumbria, I can assure you! Hope to welcome you back soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend have just come back from a last minute trip to the lakes.. with it being so last minute there were little available hotels in the lakes. I booked this one and thought it was a fairly decent price for the short notice.

The hotel has a lovely lounge, restaurant, and bar area.
The spa and swimming pool facilities were lovely. We had a treatment on the sunday but the lady who did the back massage had long nails which were slightly irritating so I'd recommend the spa request the masseuses cut their nails shorter- I have had several massages before and never had this problem.
The room was spacious, clean and enjoyable.

It's a bit of a shame but the hotel is not very pleasing on the eye from the outside- why they decided to paint it pale blue I have no idea... it's also in between a housing and industrial estate so it definitely doesn't come with the lovely lake views I was hoping for. Right on the M6 sitting outside is a little noisy.

It served its purpose for the weekend but I think there are better hotels around the lakes for the same price given we had booked a little earlier.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, and glad that you enjoyed your stay overall. For future reference, the further out you book, the more advantageous the price. Hope to see you again soon.
Europe / Middle East
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I spend a couple of nights here in mid June and had booked a superior room. The 1st room we were shown was on the ground floor and had very little natural light. This coupled with dark furniture made the whole room dark and quite claustrophobic. Full marks to duty manager Robert for quickly remedying this and our room on the first floor was lighter and more satisfactory although I would describe it more as a 'standard' room than anything superior! Overall the service and demeanour of the staff was very good indeed with one exception. In the bar, it was absolutely no trouble for our drinks to be delivered to our table out on the terrace and even the team attending to the rooms were cheerful and offered a friendly and sincere "hello" whenever we encountered them. The lady at breakfast however needs to change her attitude. A number of us taking breakfast found it unacceptable to enter the dining room, with no one present to show us to a table then be instructed to return to the entrance to be signed in! I commented at the time that I regarded this a surly and rude and would not tolerate being treated like a naughty schoolboy for the 2nd breakfast. You've guessed it, there was no member of staff to show us to our table next morning so my wife and I simply took our seats. The breakfast itself was fine with good food, well cooked and served and hot.

Room Tip: Don't accept a ground floor room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Antony_Penny, General Manager at North Lakes Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for your review and kind comments. I am sorry about the problems you appear to have experienced at breakfast, which is certainly not the norm. It goes without saying that I will be taking the time to review your feedback with the person concerned. Thank you for making me aware. We do hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Glasgow
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I first went here in February as my friend and I wanted a spa weekend and this was about half way between us. I've been back twice as it was so good. It's the little details such as a wicker basket full of blankets if you want to sit on the terrace but it's a bit cool, and a porcelain tray in the bedroom especially for straighteners. Whatever you want is never a problem and is always done with a smile. The food is lovely. Rooms are well appointed and spotlessly clean. The spa is great as well. We'll definitely be going back again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank SusiBGlasgow
What super comments, thank you! We look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to North Lakes Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!