Do not pay extra and book a suite.As a member of Shire Hotel Spa in Bristol, we thought we would take advantage of the members free night and discount and stay for 4 nights and upgrade to a suite, described as follows on their website " For those looking for that extra luxury our suites are ideal. Designed to offer you unadulterated style, ample space and luxurious surroundings; our generous suites offer king –sized beds, a tranquil environment, and everything you need to make your stay extra special"
What a disappointment, yes the room was large, but that was about all. It was on the ground floor adjacent to the car park. We went to bed on the first night of our stay only to be awoken by banging of furniture, doors and clinking of glasses and crockery, we soon realised that this was due to the room opposite being set up as a meeting room. These rooms seem to double up as meeting rooms or bedrooms so obviously if you are staying as a hotel guest in amongst meetings you will get disturbed.
The room was exceptionally hot although the weather outside was not, we needed the window open as there is no air conditioning and were therefore again woken up by coaches parked right outside the window with their engines on from about 7am. We were given a sheet to replace the thick duvet after speaking to the duty manager the next morning. We were offered to move room but she thought the alternative may be even more noisy than the room we were in.
The overall appearance of the room was tired with a large damp patch on the ceiling, which has black mould on it, trims were missing from furniture, the middle of the tap trim came out when first used, the towels were dirty, the carpet was stained.The bathroom was no better than a standard room. The only advantage over a normal room was the free drinks in the fridge although we had to leave note for a bottle opener to be left in order to open the 2 bottles of lager. Fresh fruit was supposed to be included but this consisted of a couple of apples on the first night. We again left a note after not getting this replenished on the second day.
The issue of the noise and heat was discussed with the duty manager after the first night and she offered a drink from the bar and a move to a room which could possibly be more noisy, we decided that we would probably be best staying where we were.The next three nights continued to he the same so we spoke to the manager when departing. He kindly reduced the bill quite considerably to the normal room rate, but after getting home and calculating this I don't believe I got my members discount. After writing to the Managing Director of Shire Hotels, we were just given reasons for some of the issues - exceptionally hot weather so would need windows open (weather was not that great) and will get noise from carpark, stain on ceiling had happened night before so no time to repaint etc. No mention of meetings.
After having high expectations for our holiday we felt it was absolutely ruined by the room not being as described. Do not pay extra and book a suite.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The traditional hunting lodge style of the North Lakes Hotel & Spa, Penrith reflects the rugged beauty of the Lake District. Local stone, natural wood and open log fires create a genuine 'away from it all' environment in this exclusive 4 star resort hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your North Lakes Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- North Lakes Hotel And Spa
- North Lakes Penrith
- North Lakes Hotel & Spa Penrith, Cumbria