A family holiday over the easter period with my wife and 2yr old son, quick simple check in with an escort to our room, we were greeted with an easter egg on our sons bed which he was very excited about totally unexpected but a nice touch.
The room was spacious with its own fire (we never lit the fire due to having our son with us) but it looked like it was working, the bathroom came with good quality selection of soaps and moisturizers and the bath/shower was very powerful and instantly hot with no loss of pressure.
We had an evening meal on the first night which was well prepared and tasted lovely while the staff were friendly throughout.
Breakfast was by far the best breakfast ive had on my travels, everything was available from a vast selection of fresh fruit and cereal, a selection of fresh fruit juice to toasted fruit buns not to mention the availability of a design your own full english breakfast which was very well prepared and perfect to open the day.
overall a very enjoyable experience from the friendly staff to the little mini eggs placed around the hotel for people to help themselves, not to mention the fantastic views across the eden valley.
we did experience 2 problems during our 4 day stay,
1: on the last day a large family of foreign visitors arrived and we were running late at breakfast and when we arrived they had literally taken all the fruit and cereal, my wife noticed them putting it in their bags, however this left us with very little choice, my son who is very vocal for a 2 yr old preceded to tell the staff that "they had no strawberrys or blueberrys for him and he wasnt happy", the woman was a little embarrassed that the whole breakfast table had been cleared, but like i said the little things count, she went away and brought out a whole tray of fresh fruit just for my son.
2: the second problem is the place is used by a lot of family ramblers, because it is obviously a very old mansion the walls a pretty thin, we found that at between the hours of 05:45 and 07:30 these families could be heard leaving the hotel, not the hotels faults but the inconsiderate guests being noisy at stupid o'clock.
both bad experiences take nothing away from the hotel, but if your gonna stay here then be aware that some guests fail to remember that not everyone is awake before 08:00.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A grade II listed Georgian Mansion overlooking the Market town of Penrith, The Roundthorn is set in its own landscaped gardens and boasts panoramic views of the Eden Valley and Lakeland Fells. All of the bedrooms are tastefully furnished with a mix of traditional and contemporary styles, and following a major refurbishment in early 2008 the cosy residents lounge and bar areas are perfect for relaxing after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Roundthorn Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Roundthorn Country House Hotel Penrith
- Roundthorn Country Hotel
- Roundthorn Country House Penrith, Cumbria