Now you have to be careful what you say as we were simply family guests, and there is no way of even thinking about the value for money issue.
The location is to die for when it is sunny, but it is miserable when it is misty and raining-as invariably happens on a wedding day!
We cannot have any major complaints as the food was tasty and plentiful, but the glass of red wine served with the meal was very sweet and sickly. This was far the worst red wine I have tasted in a very long time. A hotel such as this one should not serve low grade wine like this, irrespective of the Customers budget.
Most of the waiting staff were very young and inexperienced, and quite frankly they were out of their depth. They should have served diners furthest from the dining room doors in view of limited space, rather than frequently squeezing past and brushing diners. Where are the head waiters these days?
The service at the evening buffet was no better.
Cannot see us ever going back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A grade II listed Georgian Mansion overlooking the Market town of Penrith, The Roundthorn is set in its own landscaped gardens and boasts panoramic views of the Eden Valley and Lakeland Fells. All of the bedrooms are tastefully furnished with a mix of traditional and contemporary styles, and following a major refurbishment in early 2008 the cosy residents lounge and bar areas are perfect for relaxing after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Roundthorn Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Roundthorn Country House Hotel Penrith
- Roundthorn Country Hotel
- Roundthorn Country House Penrith, Cumbria