This is a really comfortable well run hotel and being close to the M6, is a perfect stop-over to / from Scotland. The hotel is not large and it is very peaceful. It is set in lovely countryside away from any road noise but only a few miles into Penrith. The garden is nice on a summer's evening.
Full marks to the staff who were extremely friendly and efficient and made us feel very welcome. Our room was at the back of the hotel and although quite small it was very clean; the bathroom was freshly decorated and quiet enough for a sound night's sleep. The rooms at the front looked bigger and had fine views over the countryside. We will try for one of those rooms next time!
We ate in the bar which serves good home cooked food and is ideal if after a long journey, you do not want to drive around the countryside.
Breakfast had everything we could wish for and a good start to the next leg of the journey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A grade II listed Georgian Mansion overlooking the Market town of Penrith, The Roundthorn is set in its own landscaped gardens and boasts panoramic views of the Eden Valley and Lakeland Fells. All of the bedrooms are tastefully furnished with a mix of traditional and contemporary styles, and following a major refurbishment in early 2008 the cosy residents lounge and bar areas are perfect for relaxing after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Agoda and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Roundthorn Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Roundthorn Country House Hotel Penrith
- Roundthorn Country Hotel
- Roundthorn Country House Penrith, Cumbria