Having been to the Roundthorn for a wedding reception several years ago we jumped at the chance to go to a christmas "do" there....well i wish we hadnt bothered. The reception was casual as was the offer to take up our luggage, I understand that a last minute booking sometimes means you dont get the best room but crikey the room we were allocated must have been a lnen room in a previous life or at best a single room,the wardrobe wasnt even big enough to hang our evening clothes and jackets in . it was most certainly nothing like the rooms that you see in their advertisments ! We had to take turns in the shower room that was just that , the width of the shower.there was no bath. The bar prior to the dinner was absolutely heaving with people , noise , no seating and little chance of getting to the bar .Of the meal itself sevice was slow with the same tables being served first all of the time it was unfortunate that people who got served later on had to wait a good 10 minutes for vegetables as they had either run out or people were hungrier than expected (personally i think that the small serving dish between 4 people was totally inadequete) the entertainment and music was very dated. ..one of our party (a head of department) who has been there several times this year with various groups and over previous years told me that it was word for word the same every time...needless to say we retired early and watched TV !!. all in all a very disappointing and expensive experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A grade II listed Georgian Mansion overlooking the Market town of Penrith, The Roundthorn is set in its own landscaped gardens and boasts panoramic views of the Eden Valley and Lakeland Fells. All of the bedrooms are tastefully furnished with a mix of traditional and contemporary styles, and following a major refurbishment in early 2008 the cosy residents lounge and bar areas are perfect for relaxing after a long day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms and Agoda so you can book your Roundthorn Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Roundthorn Country House Hotel Penrith
- Roundthorn Country Hotel
- Roundthorn Country House Penrith, Cumbria