“Excellent visit, friendly staff, not a fault”
Review of Beehive inn

Beehive inn
Ranked #41 of 175 Restaurants in Penrith
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Decided to visit for the first time in a while. Booked a table, which was a quick and easy process, and when we arrived the outside of the pub was beautiful. Such character and very attractive to the outside. There's a good big car park off road, with plenty of space.

When we went inside, we were greeted by a friendly young lady at the bar, who quickly took our drinks order and showed us to our table, which was already set up in a nice quiet corner of the pub. The menus were given to us, and we were left in peace to choose our food. Our order was quickly taken and we were left alone to ourselves.

The food arrived very quickly, but we did arrive early on in the food service so we can't comment on whether it was busy because it wasn't yet. We ordered starters, mains, and a dessert, and each course was absolutely perfect. The food was hot, freshly prepared, and tasty. Perfect pub grub with a twist, and very reasonably priced, especially the steak.

Inside, I can understand why some people think it's dated, but I see it as a characterful country pub, decorated simply but nicely. The old local photos is a nice touch, and there's a nice collection of empty bottles around the walls of various kinds of alcohol and designs. Even the fire place is a beautiful feature.

There was a big beer garden out the back with a large childrens play area safely fenced off from the road, but we didn't use it as we have no kids... though it was tempted, myself!!

The only comments I have that I would say need improving is the gents toilets. They're a bit dated and worn looking, but they were clean. I can't say for the women's toilets because I didn't go in there. Also, the carpet out the back looks a bit bare and rough in spots, and the seats could maybe do with a reupholster. Other than that, a fantastic visit!

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Visited early evening on a sunny day for a family meal. I decided to call an hour before to book a table as it was such a nice evening and thought it might be busy - it was. The chap on the phone was super friendly, as were all the staff when we were there. Quite small inside and not a trendy wine bar so very homely. Great play area and beer garden outside away from the road and the bouncy castle was a bonus. Good took 20-30 minutes to come, not bad to say it was so busy and the food to freshly prepared. All 3 meals were as ordered and were all great, especially the steak and black pudding pie and the chips were AMAZING! A few people turned up on spec, the staff were doing their best to explain there might be a wait to order and then receive their food but almost to a point that it felt they weren't welcome? Overall a great little pub with good quality pub grub at a decent price, just book ahead on a nice day!

1  Thank mrsc123
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed our meal here the staff were very friendly and helpful. The meal freshly cooked and tasty.
It was very busy with a lot of children running around

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We didn't eat here so I am unable to comment on the food. We booked (me, my wife, our 17 year old daughter and my in-laws) based on Trip Advisor reviews and were really looking forward to it.

Upon arrival two women behind the bar ignored us whilst we waited for them to sort out a technical issue with a card machine. Just a nod of acknowledgement would have been appreciated, whilst they sorted out the issue, but this didn't happen and we were left standing in an awkward silence. It wasn't long, however, and I am the eternal optimist, so it was only a minor niggle at this point.

When we were noticed I spoke to the young woman behind the bar and gave her details of our booking. She inaudibly muttered (you know the one ... that half-baked, lazy mumble that teenagers do when they really can't be bothered) and pointed in the direction of the rear room. (Even the point was lazy; like a half point that keeps you guessing. Was it a point or was it a nervous twitch? Does she want us over there or have I misread it? Am I going to embarrass myself by going in that direction or is it really through there? It was the type of point that says nothing but says so many things; things like "You're not worth my effort" and "I don't really want to be here." The half point kept us guessing, but we figured if we meandered in that direction she'd come out from behind the bar and show us).

She didn't physically show us nor take us to our table. She gave us no time whatsoever and simply left us to figure it out ourselves. It's not as if she were on her own and unable to leave the bar unattended. She was with another member of staff, so there was no excuse.

We made our way to the back room and found a reserved table. It was a bit of a guess whether it was our table or not. It was, however, the only table marked as reserved which could seat five people, so it was an educated guess. It wasn't actually one table, but two pushed together, but no issue with that.

The room itself was dated and tired. There was no ambience to it, no effort made with the decor and it felt cheap and grubby. It was not what we'd expected based on reviews.

The table was not laid out and had only four place mats in a pile in the centre, leaving us one short.

The table was next to an open door leading into a children's play area. The door was propped open with a heavy plant pot. It had been a warm day, but the breeze coming in from the open door was cold. I was considering asking to be moved but figured that I'd just tolerate it.

The table was dirty, with dried on food, as was one of the place mats.

There were no menus and we had to get up and find menus ourselves.

Apart from putting out a "reserved" sign, absolutely no thought, care nor preparation had been invested into our visit. It wasn't as if we had just turned up and caught them off guard. We'd booked in advance (at 5:53pm) and gave them at least an hours notice. Our table was for 7pm. It was midweek and not particularly busy.

We sat there a while, not knowing whether we should order at the bar or whether it was table service.

We were left scratching our heads as no one came to help us.

Then we noticed the noise. Near to our table was a table football game and something else that attracted noisy children (I can't recall what it was). The noise of excited children, banging, shouting and rattling the football table created an atmosphere which had me on edge. We couldn't hear our conversation and it was about as relaxing as having a root canal.

We got up and left out of the open fire door. We ordered neither food nor drink and our visit lasted less than five minutes. A disappointing experience and one of the worst I have had in any establishment.

There were so many things wrong that I couldn't possibly score it any higher.

It's a pity we didn't try the food because we'd read good things and were looking forward to it.

In short, there was absolutely no effort made whatsoever. It seems like The Beehive management are resting on their laurels; surfing the favourable tide of positive Trip Advisor reviews and relying on that to keep customers happy.

Personally, if I go to a place where the atmosphere is great, the ambience is relaxing and the service is fantastic, I return, time and again, even if the food is average. For me it's about the whole experience, not just the food.

A restaurant can't (and shouldn't) rely on having great triple cooked chips if they can't provide the right surroundings to serve them in.

The management at The Beehive need to realise that there's far more to running a good restaurant than good food. The customer service and customer experience must come first and this place is so far off the mark it's embarrassing. Get the basics right. Everything else will follow.

Would we be back? Not until Hell freezes over (or maybe if they have a full refurb, staff training and a change of management).

2  Thank DazLeeW
byebye8, Owner at Beehive inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

What a review! At first I was horrified, outraged, everyone praises our friendly atmosphere and customer service. What was my team doing? Certainly not the the manner they have been trained to operate- sack the lot I thought! As you mentioned your whole trip to The Beehive lasted under 5 minutes so it didn't take long to re-view it on the CCTV cameras.

You came through the back door to the pub, ironically the very door which was propped open with the plant-pot, the very same one you complain about, could this be why no-one pounced on you straight away? You wondered through to the main bar where the two waitresses were stood. One welcomed you while finishing changing the receipt roll in the card machine while the other got your name and indeed yes pointed to your table. This waitress that you unfairly get stuck into on the review is 14 years old, a little bit shy but is a hugely valuable member of our team and a fantastic worker, I could not praise her enough, because of her age she is mainly in the kitchen, but does bring food out and show people to their tables occasionally. She finished by saying someone would be right over to take a drinks order. It had been reserved and we had not laid the table although there were menus on the table, I can see you get up, maybe you didn't realise? We set the table when taking the food order, we find this helps people relax without the pub looking too formal. Yes it was two tables pushed together, one had 2 mats on and one 4 a total of 6 mats, 5 for you and one to put sauces and condiments on.

You say there was no atmosphere yet complain about children having fun? This is exactly what a pub should be about. A place where everyone is welcome. We have a large kids play area, beer garden, Sky Sports and a selection of cask ales, we get families young and old and have a huge number of regular locals, and the mix creates a fantastic country pub feel.

By reading your review I believe you were expecting a quiet little restaurant and we are a busy pub, with room for 100 covers in summer when counting the beer garden, if you were not happy, I would have quite happily tried to move your table or recommended a restaurant nearby, but please think about your actions before becoming a keyboard warrior, I can live with what you say about me and my pub but a 14 year old girl trying to earn some pocket money while she is off school doesn't need to read these kinds of comments. We all have to learn somewhere.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

The Beehive was just up the road from the cottage we had rented. Called in for lunch when we arrived and could not fault the atmosphere,quality of food and very welcoming staff especially the lady called Tanya. Decided on the last evening of our stay to return for a steak meal which did not disappoint. Would certainly recommend this lovely pub and would definitly return if we were ever in the area again.