“Ok if you know nothing about horses!”

Leacett Cottage Riding Centre
Essex, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ok if you know nothing about horses!”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Having found our way to the riding centre up the gravel lane and hill climb we entered a stable yard to see about 30 horses fully saddled and tethered in full heat in a yard. We were greeted by a quite abrasive older lady who wasn't really sure what was going on.
My son and daughter were fitted with riding hats that were not secured properly and my husband was fitted with adequately with one. By this time I was ready to leave!
All riders were novices and were given laid back, easy mounts. (Being the only experienced rider I choose to stay on foot, just as we'll because I ended up leading). We had two young girls leading the trex and our children aged 3 and 5, whilst my husband remained alone. The young girl who was clearly in charge if the trek seemed knowledgable and made minor corrections to rider positions etc, she was also very friendly and made the kids feel at ease. The 30 minute trek went into Winfell Forrest along a track which was easy enough to walk.
My husbands horse had a loose shoe which I pointed out, but was told this was 'OK', given my children were both following on their ponies, I wasn't entirely sure of the safety my children if the shoe came off or well being of the horse (if being ridden regularly with ill fitting shoes).
When all was said and done, my kids had a good ride and my husband too. For me though, this was an experience I would not be willing to repeat. As a horse owner an experienced rider, this yard is not what I consider to be a good example of a horse yard.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank RJ1001

Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“excellent”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We have visited Leacett riding center a few times and will certainly be returning. Its Brilliant. The staff are very helpful I went with a mixed group. Some could ride and others didn't have a clue. We had such fun. The horses were amazing and the location is beautiful. It is definitely a must especially if you have a love for horses and the country side.

Visited April 2013
Cumbria
“Fun day out!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We visited Leacett Cottage as a group of girls who wanted a fun day out, and that we had! The staff were all very friendly and looked after us very well, the trek through the forest is lovely!
Great place for families, couples or anyone looking to have fun!
Will definitely be returning!

Visited April 2013
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Super Experience"”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Visited Leacett whilst staying at Centre Parcs, we have horses of our own but the children still wanted to go for a ride whilst on holiday. I was very impressed with the how well looked after the horses & yard was, the staff were very friendly/helpful & catered well for our needs. Very professionally run & fun, the children liked that they could by a keyring of the pony they rode.
Thanks Leacett

Visited July 2013
1 Thank josiejollyness
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great facilities with fantastic scenery”
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I have been for many years, staff and horses fantastic , and the countryside is second to none. Early morning advanced rides get to see wild creatures in there natural surroundings. Would highly recommend

Visited December 2012