Edenhall Country House Hotel
1863 Bar Bistro Rooms(Pooley Bridge)
US$134
Orbitz.com
Travelodge Penrith(Penrith)(Great Value!)
US$75
Travelodge
All reviewseden halla lovely quiet villageprawn cocktailfriendly hotelbusiness tripgenerous portionsvery pleasant staya king size bedwonderful hotelset us up for the dayrooms are spaciouscooked breakfastovernight stopquiet locationwould stay againbooked this hotellake district
Reviewed 22 March 2008

The first thing I would like to say is that the STAFF at this hotel are EXCEPTIONAL.....but that is about all that is exceptional at this hotel. If your expecting luxury or a romantic getaway.....then give this place a miss. It uses the term "Country Hotel" when its in fact a run down pub with a few rooms attached.

When booking I advised the young man that I was expecting a friend to meet me at 12 noon and he immediately offered me a late check out. Upon arrival, the young australian boy was very efficient and even carried my bags up to the room. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff and they were very accommodating.

I had booked a single and was quite shocked when I entered the room. The bathroom was approx 25-30 years old, with peeling wallpaper on both the walls and the ceiling. The bathroom window would not close, the heating wasnt working, and there was dust all around the wooden surround above the bed. I was quickly offered an electric heater, which was more than adequate for a single room. I ventured down into the bar and was stunned to see a mish mash of furniture that looked like it had been taken from the common room at an old peoples home. It was worn and grubby and not very comfortable. So I awaited the much talked about Award winning dinner I was going to have at 6pm.

At 5.50pm I was informed that the kitchen was not up and running due to a gas problem, but would I like to come downstairs for a complimentary drink. I thought this was a nice touch. Half an hour later I was ready to eat my dinner..........starter was a smoked duck on a beetroot salad. How disappointing. The duck was cut wafer thin, and approx the length of 2/3rds of my little finger, thrown onto a bed of lettuce with half a dozen small cubes of very dry beetroot. My main course was Mediterranean chicken with peppers, tomatoes, onion and garlic. The piece of chicken was huge, however it was not cooked right the way through. When I got to a very "pink" bit, I stopped eating. The peppers and onions were just chopped into large chunks, no finesse whatsoever and were practically raw. Pudding however, was very tasty. A light orange cheesecake with viennese fingers.

The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and I had a very good nights sleep. The shower was disappointing, as half the water was escaping from the handle and the flow was very very light. The provide you with a very nice cooked breakfast and many other options for a healthier breakfast.

The saving grace I suppose, is that this rundown pub with a few rooms attached has recently been bought by new owners. I am hoping they are going to spend some money refurbishing and improving the public areas, as it has the potential to be a very nice place.

I cannot say enough though, that the staff are some of the nicest and friendliest that I have ever come across. If not for them, then I would have found this stay almost unbearable.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank cartersclan
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Arrived at Edenhall and loved the village, very pretty, the country house looked very nice from the outside.

The parking was fine and staff were helpful.

However, the room was very dis-appointing.
It cost £87.50 for 1 night and it was supposed to be a deluxe room. It was not what i expect for deluxe.

It has a double bed which was very short, the furniture was very dated and the shower over the bath didn't work properly.

The breakfast was lovely however.

I would recommend that Edenhall give the rooms a re-vamp or lower their prices!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed 7 July 2007

The hotel, located about 5 miles from Penrith and set in the charming countryside, is nice enough for a short stay. I made a quick overnight pitstop to break the journey between London and Edinburgh. After a long drive I arrived at the 'shabby' reception area to find that my online reservation had not reached them. After the receptionist realised that their fax machine was out of paper my reservation quickly appeared.

It was around 7pm when I arrived and the receptionist told me that the kitchen was about to close. Not wanting to inconvenience the chef I opted to eat elsewhere.

The room itself was spacious but the furnishings were a bit dated. However, the bed was very uncomfortable.

Breakfast was interesting. Seeing yoghurts left out on the buffet with not even so much as some ice to keep them cool, put me off trying anything as adventurous as the hot breakfast.

My biggest gripe over places like this, and most hospitality venues in Britain, is that it looks very nice in the brochure and on the photoshoped pictures online but it is seriously overpriced. I spent £80 (including breakfast) and if I paid a similar price anywhere else in mailand Europe I would have had a superior experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zippyfan
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I booked this hotel over the phone with a very helpful gent who did me a deal of £80 per night for a superior room for 3 nights late May. I asked how much a taxi would be to the hotel and was told about £10, (it was) I asked if we could arrive before official check in time (we could) and asked if we could leave after official check out time (yes yes yes). He told me he'd send me a confirmation and it arrived promptly in the post 2 days later. So far so good - very happy with the service.

We arrived and the worst thing I could think of to say to my husband was "twee" and it is, very - but nice. We went to our room (room 5) and my immediate reaction was that it was nice, twee but not a superior room. It was very spacious and the bedding and bathroom were clean but overdue a bit of renovation (a new carpet, TV and lamps would do it!). Not an unpleasant room though, and comfortable enough for a 3 night stay. I'd have been hacked off if we were there on honeymoon, but for a reasonably priced anniversary break it did the job.

Of the 5 staff we dealt with during our stay all were friendly and 4 of the 5 were efficient. They were all required to multitask, but you could bell them at the bar or reception so we rarely had to wait around for help if we needed it.

The breakfasts were very good, big English breakfast with black pudding, bacon, eggs, sausages and fried bread plus toast, cereals and fruit. You could opt for porridge or kippers if you preferred. Plus a big jug of tea and fruit juice, set us up for the day nicely. Breakfast was included in the price.

The bar was reasonably priced (about £6 for both a pint of Stella and a bottle of Magners, our 'usual', £17 for a good bottle of wine) and the staff seemed to know 'our usual' very quickly, which is nice. There is a bar area where the furniture looks like it has been stolen from an old peoples home about 30 years ago, a nice conservatory and a beautiful garden, all with plenty of seating.

The restaurant is where the hotel really came through though. At about £5 per starter / dessert and £15 per main meal the food was excellent, I recommend the lamb! We ate their 2 of our 3 nights. The only issue with the restaurant I could see was lack of vegetarian options. In fact if you were vegetarian and didn't eat fish, your meal was tomato soup followed by risotto (both very nice, but where's the choice!)

My only gripe about the hotel is the shabbiness of some parts of the hotel. The carpet in our room looked like it could do with a really good clean (or chucking in a skip and replacing), the windows in the bar were filthy.

If you are precious about cleaning then this isn't the hotel for you...I'm not so was happy enough. Would I stay again? I would if they could sort my one gripe by spending a few quid doing the place up.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Rach217
Reviewed 28 May 2007

Reviews my wife and I read before we set off indicated the hotel would be difficult to find. In the event it is no probem at all coming from the Penrith/M6 direction. It is very conveniently located just 3 miles from the M6 in the delightful village of Edenhall.

The hotel has had financial problems in the past. It was bought from administrators by the present owners according to the information provided. Lack of past investment is still evident. We counted 5 cracked windows in the resturant for example. The staff are young, friendly and enthusiastic, the food fine and the quality of wine on the wine list excellent, if a bit pricey. What we felt was missing was the welcome and attention of a resident owner to give it some personal warmth. The public rooms and endless corridors are soulless.

We stayed in the best room. It had windows on three sides with lovely views but was expensive for what it was. We felt everything was ok but could have been so much better.

Stayed: May 2007