“Overpriced for the Quality”

Edenhall Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed 1 December 2008

A friend had booked the room for us as it was local to where we needed to be that weekend. Rooms are old and tired and in desperate need of a refurb. Very overpriced as £90 for a double B&B. During the week I stay at nice 4 star hotels for less than this 2 star charges. Rooms are cold and bathrooms very tired.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank dalestech

Reviewed 31 July 2008

Stayed at the Eden Hall for two nights in July when attending a friends wedding at a near by location. A large group booking was made here on our behalf as it was close to the wedding venue so I had no input in booking this hotel but was happy as about 20 people from the same party were staying here in too so I was happy to be with the group. The hotel is in need of a refurb and is a little run down. We stayed in a deluxe room but there was nothing deluxe about it I’m afraid. We’d spent the previous week on holiday in Scotland staying at similarly price hotels which were streaks ahead of the Eden. The room was dated with a small portable TV with no remote, and a scruffy looking bathroom with the wall paper coming off. We weren’t going to be in the room much but still for £80 a night on the group rate it was a poor room. That night we sat outside in the beer garden which was very nice. There were aprox 12 of us wanting to eat from the bar menu. What a disaster!! It took three people asking on separate occasions to coax someone out to take out order (the bar didn’t seem busy) we ordered mostly sandwiches and steaks-how long did our food take to come? 2 hours!!!! I myself girlfriend and friend ordered steaks cooked rare when they came they were cold and cooked well done. By this time I was ready to eat my own arm I was so hungry but I refused to eat it at £15 the waitress offered to take it back but you plainly can’t de-cook a steak so I declined and ate some chips. She did say she’d take it off the bill and half an hour later came back with another steak which again was well done! Some people enjoyed there food it has to be said but 2 hours? Funnier still one of the party travelling up later that night bumped into the chef on a cigarette break and he was complaining about this wedding part who were in wanting all this ‘different stuff’ come on steaks have to one of the easiest things to cook!

Anyhow breakfast the next day was good and the service quick. We were at the wedding for the whole next day and checked out the next morning. Our food bill was still on our final bill but the girl quickly took it off when I said we’d complained and I think she accidentally took our bar bill off too-so thanks Eden hall (I didn't realise till I’d got home!!!). All in all for what we were using the hotel for it was expectable; I live in Cumbria so I wasn’t on holiday. The hotel is far out of Penrith so there are better places location wise and much better options for the price. If you’re just wanting a stop over type place use the travel lodge for half the price.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank Benjii
Reviewed 25 March 2008

We stayed for a night here on our way to Scotland - generally the hotel is a good place to be based as it is easy to find and set in a quiet village not far off the M6. Initially the check in was prompt and efficient, although there were hardly any other guests in the hotel. The room we had was very large but was absolutely freezing with a radiator that seemed to only work on half setting, so the room stayed cold! The bed was also a big let down with a mattress that needed to be disposed of as the springs were poking up and the whole thing creaked and rattled like a ghost train. Shame that these two points really let the hotel down as the food in the restaurant was excellent that night, and the breakfast and lunch we had the next day before departing was similarly fresh and enjoyable. Service was prompts and friendly and you never felt like you were imposing. There is a nice little snug room, with DVDs, games and magazines as well to relax in.

Outside the hotel there are lovely views and you can walk to the Edenhall river and fields from just up the road. the free range chickens that greet you in the gardens are also fantastic!

Overall, this is a nice place but needs a bit of time and money spending to make it great - attention to the beds and making the rooms that bit more welcoming would be a big step towards improving it.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 22 March 2008

The first thing I would like to say is that the STAFF at this hotel are EXCEPTIONAL.....but that is about all that is exceptional at this hotel. If your expecting luxury or a romantic getaway.....then give this place a miss. It uses the term "Country Hotel" when its in fact a run down pub with a few rooms attached.

When booking I advised the young man that I was expecting a friend to meet me at 12 noon and he immediately offered me a late check out. Upon arrival, the young australian boy was very efficient and even carried my bags up to the room. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff and they were very accommodating.

I had booked a single and was quite shocked when I entered the room. The bathroom was approx 25-30 years old, with peeling wallpaper on both the walls and the ceiling. The bathroom window would not close, the heating wasnt working, and there was dust all around the wooden surround above the bed. I was quickly offered an electric heater, which was more than adequate for a single room. I ventured down into the bar and was stunned to see a mish mash of furniture that looked like it had been taken from the common room at an old peoples home. It was worn and grubby and not very comfortable. So I awaited the much talked about Award winning dinner I was going to have at 6pm.

At 5.50pm I was informed that the kitchen was not up and running due to a gas problem, but would I like to come downstairs for a complimentary drink. I thought this was a nice touch. Half an hour later I was ready to eat my dinner..........starter was a smoked duck on a beetroot salad. How disappointing. The duck was cut wafer thin, and approx the length of 2/3rds of my little finger, thrown onto a bed of lettuce with half a dozen small cubes of very dry beetroot. My main course was Mediterranean chicken with peppers, tomatoes, onion and garlic. The piece of chicken was huge, however it was not cooked right the way through. When I got to a very "pink" bit, I stopped eating. The peppers and onions were just chopped into large chunks, no finesse whatsoever and were practically raw. Pudding however, was very tasty. A light orange cheesecake with viennese fingers.

The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable and I had a very good nights sleep. The shower was disappointing, as half the water was escaping from the handle and the flow was very very light. The provide you with a very nice cooked breakfast and many other options for a healthier breakfast.

The saving grace I suppose, is that this rundown pub with a few rooms attached has recently been bought by new owners. I am hoping they are going to spend some money refurbishing and improving the public areas, as it has the potential to be a very nice place.

I cannot say enough though, that the staff are some of the nicest and friendliest that I have ever come across. If not for them, then I would have found this stay almost unbearable.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank cartersclan
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Arrived at Edenhall and loved the village, very pretty, the country house looked very nice from the outside.

The parking was fine and staff were helpful.

However, the room was very dis-appointing.
It cost £87.50 for 1 night and it was supposed to be a deluxe room. It was not what i expect for deluxe.

It has a double bed which was very short, the furniture was very dated and the shower over the bath didn't work properly.

The breakfast was lovely however.

I would recommend that Edenhall give the rooms a re-vamp or lower their prices!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine M
Reviewed 7 July 2007

The hotel, located about 5 miles from Penrith and set in the charming countryside, is nice enough for a short stay. I made a quick overnight pitstop to break the journey between London and Edinburgh. After a long drive I arrived at the 'shabby' reception area to find that my online reservation had not reached them. After the receptionist realised that their fax machine was out of paper my reservation quickly appeared.

It was around 7pm when I arrived and the receptionist told me that the kitchen was about to close. Not wanting to inconvenience the chef I opted to eat elsewhere.

The room itself was spacious but the furnishings were a bit dated. However, the bed was very uncomfortable.

Breakfast was interesting. Seeing yoghurts left out on the buffet with not even so much as some ice to keep them cool, put me off trying anything as adventurous as the hot breakfast.

My biggest gripe over places like this, and most hospitality venues in Britain, is that it looks very nice in the brochure and on the photoshoped pictures online but it is seriously overpriced. I spent £80 (including breakfast) and if I paid a similar price anywhere else in mailand Europe I would have had a superior experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zippyfan
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I booked this hotel over the phone with a very helpful gent who did me a deal of £80 per night for a superior room for 3 nights late May. I asked how much a taxi would be to the hotel and was told about £10, (it was) I asked if we could arrive before official check in time (we could) and asked if we could leave after official check out time (yes yes yes). He told me he'd send me a confirmation and it arrived promptly in the post 2 days later. So far so good - very happy with the service.

We arrived and the worst thing I could think of to say to my husband was "twee" and it is, very - but nice. We went to our room (room 5) and my immediate reaction was that it was nice, twee but not a superior room. It was very spacious and the bedding and bathroom were clean but overdue a bit of renovation (a new carpet, TV and lamps would do it!). Not an unpleasant room though, and comfortable enough for a 3 night stay. I'd have been hacked off if we were there on honeymoon, but for a reasonably priced anniversary break it did the job.

Of the 5 staff we dealt with during our stay all were friendly and 4 of the 5 were efficient. They were all required to multitask, but you could bell them at the bar or reception so we rarely had to wait around for help if we needed it.

The breakfasts were very good, big English breakfast with black pudding, bacon, eggs, sausages and fried bread plus toast, cereals and fruit. You could opt for porridge or kippers if you preferred. Plus a big jug of tea and fruit juice, set us up for the day nicely. Breakfast was included in the price.

The bar was reasonably priced (about £6 for both a pint of Stella and a bottle of Magners, our 'usual', £17 for a good bottle of wine) and the staff seemed to know 'our usual' very quickly, which is nice. There is a bar area where the furniture looks like it has been stolen from an old peoples home about 30 years ago, a nice conservatory and a beautiful garden, all with plenty of seating.

The restaurant is where the hotel really came through though. At about £5 per starter / dessert and £15 per main meal the food was excellent, I recommend the lamb! We ate their 2 of our 3 nights. The only issue with the restaurant I could see was lack of vegetarian options. In fact if you were vegetarian and didn't eat fish, your meal was tomato soup followed by risotto (both very nice, but where's the choice!)

My only gripe about the hotel is the shabbiness of some parts of the hotel. The carpet in our room looked like it could do with a really good clean (or chucking in a skip and replacing), the windows in the bar were filthy.

If you are precious about cleaning then this isn't the hotel for you...I'm not so was happy enough. Would I stay again? I would if they could sort my one gripe by spending a few quid doing the place up.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rach217
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Brantwood Country Hotel
Brantwood Country Hotel
#7 of 11 in Penrith
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Edenhall Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!