“Beautifully equipped and family-friendly cottage”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of South Byre

South Byre has a sociable open plan kitchen/dining /living area with fabulous beamed ceiling
The stunning ceilings in South Byre adds warmth and character Double bedroom in South Byre
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The stunning ceilings in South Byre adds warmth and character
Double bedroom in South Byre
The dressing table in the double bedroom in South Byre
Sweet dreams in South Byre, this bed can be arranged as a super king or twins. Shown as super king
South Byre is in the exclusive Salutation Yard, a development of 3 luxury holiday cottages
Skelton is an unspoilt Cumbrian village with friendly pub
The Dog and Gun pub Skelton, 2 minutes stroll from South Byre, serves good food
The village has many attractive buildings
Skelton village church
View of Carrock fell, on a walk from South Byre. A lovely place to visit all year round
The front door to South Byre and open patio area
South Byre exterior
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
reinerarn...
Dortmund, Germany
“Beautifully equipped and family-friendly cottage”
Reviewed 6 August 2018 for a stay in July 2018

South Byre is a good starting point to explore the Lake District; former farm which the owner changed into cosy holiday cottages. Jane is a wonderful host; her welcome package helped a lot - no need to first shopping in the morning after arrival at midnight!

Your age range 65+
9 Aug 2018
Thank you so much for reviewing South Byre.
We are delighted that you found South Byre to be cosy, welcoming and a good base from which to explore the the wonderful Lake District. We hope to see you all again in future. With our best wishes, Jane and Duncan
Sunnydale...
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Another Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 20 April 2018 for a stay in March 2017

Having previously enjoyed 5 nights in this excellent property and a short stay in one of the neighbouring barns, I had 3 great weeks back in South Byre. I'm just disappointed that I have already booked my next 5 holidays as I can't wait to return to Skelton. I had great days out on Hadrian's Wall, Teesdale and the Yorkshire Dales, that are all in relatively easy reach, let alone the lovely Lakes. The wi-fi is even faster than my first stay and in the evenings I could stream Netflix and Youtube on my lap-top with no buffering. I just wish I had the same fast service in my home town. Sojourn North, South Byre and jane and Duncan's hospitality will be my first (and if available only) port of call on my next planned trip to Cumbria.

25 Apr 2018
Thank you Julie for your lovely comments, it is always a pleasure to welcome you back here.
We are pleased to read that you found the WiFi to have improved since last time, we are always thrilled when guests return to stay with us and it is our aim to provide a stay as good as, or better than their previous one!
Thanks again and see you soon we hope, Jane and Duncan
dkneale93
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Lovely cosy homely cottage”
Reviewed 15 February 2018 for a stay in February 2018

What a lovely cottage South Byre is to stay in. So peaceful and homely. We have had a relaxing break. Everything you could think of plus more is provided in this great self catering cottage. It was very clean and tidy plus extras were available for mobility use such as shower seat. South Byre at the Salutation Yard is in the prime location in a quiet village. Only a short drive to the Clickham Inn which we highly recommend for evening meals. Also you can visit the lakes such as Ullswater and Derwent Water. The Pencil Museum, which is only a short journey to, is a must see for all the family. The bread maker was a lovely added extra to our perfect family break. We will be highly recommending Salutation Yard to all the friends and family!! Thank you so much for our lovely stay.

19 Feb 2018
Many thanks for these kind comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
With all good wishes,
Jane and Duncan
markq828
“Gorgeous Cottage on edge of Lakes”
Reviewed 3 November 2017 for a stay in October 2017

I booked South Byre cottage for my work colleagues to stay in whilst visiting the region. It was the perfect location for access to and exploring the North Lakes and the comfort, cleanliness and hospitality of the cottage was faultless. The bread maker and ingredients was a lovely touch but we also thoroughly recommend the Dog and Gun 100 yds up the road for Lunch and Dinner! I have to thank Jane and Duncan for contributing hugely towards a successful meeting and visit (and the credit that I gained at work!).

3 Nov 2017
Many thanks for this kind review.
We were delighted to welcome your colleagues and are thrilled to hear their stay was such a positive experience for everyone.
Looking forward to welcoming them back in the future and others for a first stay.
With best wishes,
Jane and Duncan
Sunnydale...
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Cosy Cottage”
Reviewed 13 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

I had a lovely 5 nights in this excellent property and was warm and comfortable during the unseasonably early snow. The cottage is clean and well-equipped. The location is convenient for the M6 and shopping in Penrith but in a quiet village setting. Parking is literally right outside your door and, as access to the courtyard is via electronically operated gates, its also secure. There's an excellent roomy shower that was very welcome after several muddy walks. The wifi connection is very good and there's a big tv to laze in front of in the evenings. Its one of the few properties that I've stayed in in Cumbria that I would happily return to.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Solo
Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
margsrb
“This cottage was a gem great location for visiting lake district!!”
Reviewed 10 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

Beautiful cottage everything you need in a home from home accomodation. Top class location would highly recommend it and would book again wen visiting the lakes.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing