Glen Rothay Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Queen's Hotel(Ambleside)
View Hotel
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa(Grasmere)
The Fisherbeck(Ambleside)
Forest Side(Grasmere)
Grasmere Hotel(Grasmere)
View Hotel
All reviewsrydal waterkentmere roomrydal suitefour poster bedlocal real alesbar servesrydal hallthe main hotellake districtcoach housetwo nightsbay windowfish and chipslarge roombeer gardenfeeding areabadgers feeding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I first visited the Badger Bar in 1979 and ten years later had my honeymoon in this hotel in 1989. We have returned a few times over the years but I had some 'Man Cave' time this May 2014 and myself and my large Rhodesian Ridgeback dog stayed one night to do my favourite walk. On arranging my stay over the phone the staff were excellent and gave me a fantastic deal. The greeting on arrival was extremely warm. I had brought reading material to while away the evening in the Badger Bar whilst on my own but the atmosphere in the bar was fantastic and everyone talked to everyone else so I never got near my book. The food was excellent including a great breakfast. I like it here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank ian e
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Fantastic large room ( Grasmere ) and that was just a standard, huge comfortable bed, spacious bathroom with a really deep bath. Great full breakfast included, and lovely staff, even able to check in 2 hours early. Cosy beer garden, with a regular visit from quite a tame robin. Shame we missed the badgers though. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights this weekend. This hotel is immaculately clean. Bedrooms could do with an update - new carpets etc. Gorgeous big deep baths which were great after a hard day walking. Staff very helpful and accommodating especially Andy who got our breakfast ready for 6 30 in the morning when the chef did not turn up. Top quality breakfast too! Lady who served us breakfast on the second morning was so lovely. Brilliant little hotel in a beautiful location. Will de finitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
GRHManager, Owner at Glen Rothay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Very pleased that you enjoyed it. As the new owner I am thrilled to be running this charming old hotel. We are making lots of improvements, improving the quality and trying to make the most of this lovely building. The staff are a really good team and the food and beer are really good as well. It will take a while to update all the rooms, but in the meantime they are well priced, especially given that some of them are truly HUGE.
Apologies about the mix up with the early breakfast, but glad you appreciated the quality.
Many thanks
Paul, owner

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The room was very comfortable large room with beautiful big bath and separate shower. On our first night at hotel we were disappointed with the service and food. Yet on the second nigjt it was very good why was there such a difference from one night to another? First night only one member of staff on and when my husband asked for a bottle of wine the waiter said it will have to be screw top bottles as we have lost bottle opener we thoight waiter was joking but he wasn't. This same person was talking orders serving customers to be honest he couldn't cope yet second night more staff on food much better. But saying that we couldn't fault the accommodation wilk certainly be returning but hotel must make sure they have enough staff on and the menu is updated plus food must be of a high standard.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jill t
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and had the grand suite with the four poster bed. The room was HUGE and had a large corner bath big enough for two. Lovely hotel with breakfast. Such history. Great walks with wonderful scenery.

• Stayed: May 2014