“Good food in dull surroundings”

The Glen Rothay Hotel & Badger bar
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rydal
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: View, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Yorkshire
“Good food in dull surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The menu offered a good choice including most pub favourites. The burger had high quality ingredients and the cumberland sausage and mash was particularly good. Both meals came with excellent battered onion rings. Specials included a very good meat balls with tagliatelle in a tomato sauce. Prices were reasonable for the area with our four main courses coming to just over £40.
The only downside is the dark and dull interior which is a little tired looking with little natural light, walnut furniture and fittings and dark carpet.

• Visited July 2014

Brownhills, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice Pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We visited here a couple of times during our holiday & really liked it. They serve a good selection of real ale & the man behind the bar was very knowledgeable about them which helped me choose which one to go for.
The food was good pub grub, nice & tasty, reasonably priced & well presented.

• Visited July 2014
Nether Wasdale, United Kingdom
“What a shame”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

After a fantastic day out in Ambleside, we decided to stop off at a pub which my partner had not visited for for some years, but when had, had said it was very good.
Sadly this is no longer the case. We entered and perused the menu, and the specials board.......quickly realising that neither Scampi & chips nor Gammon & chips really warrant a title so grand as "special".
Not to worry though we will ask the staff for their recommendation, always a good starting point. That would be if the staff had actually ever eaten any of their own products.
When the young lady behind the bar popped in to ask the "chef" if the gammon was salty or not, even he seemed unsure of his own ability to offer an answer which could be taken as a yes or a no.
Three times she popped in to ask this question, three times we managed to ascertain that "chef does not put salt on the gammon".
So, and as I really fancied a nice gammon steak, I opted for the gammon.......after all it must be pretty damn good.......it is on the Specials Board.
Oh what a fool am I, although due credit to chef....the gammon was not salty..........no it was completely and utterly tasteless.
Being the size of a large rasher of watery bacon and only slightly thicker, I was somewhat unhappy. This coupled with the fact that I had already sent it back for Mr Chef (that's mister and definitely not master) to complete the cooking process from raw to actually being cooked left me very disheartened as to what everybody else's food was like.
The simple answer to that question can be summed up as NOT.
Surely though the staff will redeem themselves, I quietly think to myself.
Oh what a fool I am, again. I overheard a couple tell the lady we encountered earlier that they had been waiting for their ice cream for over half an hour. She replied, with simple complacency, that the kitchen staff were busy with other things.
Obviously not cooking or preparing tasty meals for the customers, as we witnessed several plates of barely touched food being ferried to the kitchen.
When we were asked if we enjoyed our food, we could not but say it was terrible. This, however, was taken to be sarcasm and the young man stating that they all say that.
Never have I been so surprised at nonchalant and poor service, not to mention the food.
Does nobody care any more?
So let's sum up the Badger Bar.
Beautiful location, good prices.
Awful food and with service that would enable Fawlty Towers to rival The Savoy.
Sorry folks.......but as often found in school reports......must try harder.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Neil B
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Curate's Egg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We've been to this Bar on and off for decades - it's now 'under new ownership'.

It's very good in parts - the location is absolutely wonderful, right by Rydal Water, and perfect for walkers from Ambleside to Grasmere (or vice versa). It majors on real ales - they were very good.

The food was fine for 'pub grub'. Not inexpensive. The big surprise was the staff: there appeared to be only one person behind the bar and serving food (on a sunny June Friday evening) who was indifferent to the point of rudeness.

I'd like to keep going here, but the level of service and HR will need improving!

• Visited June 2014
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Tasty food and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Me, my husband and father came here for dinner one evening after failing at finding food in several other locations.

We all throughly enjoyed it! The two young men who served us were brilliant, very friendly and welcoming, and had a lovely chat and laugh with them. When I had a problem with my drink they changed it straight away no questions asked.

The food was delicious, served in a very presentable manner, especially the warm chocolate brownie dessert!

Prices were reasonable for the portion size and quality of food.

We all very much enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone and everyone.