“Fantastic short break”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Darwen , England
“Fantastic short break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

We chose this hotel for a short midweek getaway and was so pleased we did.The hotel is perfectly situated within the village and the car parking is a added bonus.
The rooms are clean and comfortable ,the service is is excellent and the food is superb.
Our stay was made all the better by the added bonus of the jamming session by the musicians and the friendliness of the locals in the bar

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobbyDarwen_England

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

It was a very wet Saturday and we were looking for a log fire, good food and beer
We got two out of three but were very very satisfied although the log fire would have been the icing on the cake.
This Hotel has a bar/lounge with comfortable tables and chairs, very friendly, efficient staff and the food was excellent. My brothers are particulariy fussy eaters and they cleaned their plates. The small cornish pasties with home made piccallili, the burgers ( but not just any burger) and the suet pudding were so good and the best bit was the thrice cooked chips.
We will definitely be going there again and whats more they have a restaurant at the back if you want to be a bit posh. Great!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Barbara C
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

stayed in the hotel, very clean, very comfy bed. Service impeccable, the maitre d` used to work at the dorcester and you can tell. Best bit was the food. Had confit duck. Amazing. Cocktails are unbelievable too. Ask James to make one up for you. Starters very good. Wish I could get food this good in Manchester.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomholiday
Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

The hotel in outward appearance is old fashioned, was easy to find and accessible, but the car park is limited and an early arrival will ensure a space - late arrivals may struggle. We unfortunately arrived on a day when road works were under way immediately outside the hotel and upon both roads. This caused traffic congestion and a strong odour of tar fumes. Overall, it was unsightly and disappointing, though no fault of the hotel's, and i'm sure this project is finished by now.....you'd hope. Furthermore, the drive in was smooth, but leaving the next morning we were forced to drive down a large drop into the roadworks.

Check in was fairly poor and I waited for ages in the small reception area before eventually seeking out a staff member on my own accord in another section of the building. He allocated the keys for our rooms and escorted myself to them for an initial inspection (and to sort out what room was who's eg. double and twin). Overall, it was fairly amateurish and not a very good start, though the whole establishment appeared quiet and we may have arrived inbetween a staff rotation.

Both rooms were located up a sectioned set of stairs and down a hallway, with mine at the end. The old fashioned outward appearance is carried on inside and although acceptable, comes across outdated and feels sombre. The rooms are the same too, and could do with refurbishment and modernisation - especially the bathrooms.

My room was spacious and contained a queen sized bed (not very supportive, very bouncy and barely comfortable), two small bedside tables and a lamp, a large wooden wardrobe, a small table and lamp with two sitting chairs, a small desk which contained the small flat screen TV, and an accompanying chair (the desk was too cramped with the TV and thus not very functional), and a tea/coffee station table with kettle, biscuits and hot chocolate sachet, but again no fridge was available. The room also had two windows, one of which didn't open and the one that did was stiff. Several of the TV channels lost reception intermittently and the tea/coffee station had no power point access. To use the kettle it has to be plugged into the powerboard on the other side of the room, and the cord from the kettle isn't long enough for it to sit on the table so it must be used on the floor. Furthermore, the plug didn't hold contact properly within the powerboard and had to be physically held in place with pressure from above in order for the kettle to work.

My ensuite was clean, large and was laid with carpet.....yes, carpet!!! What made this worse was the bath contained and rubber, add-on shower nozzle and there was no shower curtain, so guess where the over spray went??? Everything was functional, from the vanity sink to the toilet (no toilet roll holder) but the carpet idea puts me off. I am a man and occasionally I miss the target or splash a bit (eg. toilet duties) and I'm assuming other men are culprits too, therefore I cannot imagine how dirty/unhygienic carpet all around a toilet could be. YUK! Also, when I showered I stood up and water over sprayed everywhere. Frankly speaking, I drenched the surrounding floor which is carpet, and I'm wondering who else has done this aswell? In accommodation premises I refuse to sit down in baths that are used or can be used for showering, for various reasons. (How many people pee in the shower or have a foot disease or fungal growths that have used the bath before me???)

We all had dinner in their attached restaurant, and we were all disappointed. The appearance was OK, alike to a nice, country pub, with averagely comfortable dining chairs.The menu was select and fancy, with a small variety of choices and very pricey. I ordered the "Wild Boar Burger" as it was recommended earlier on by one the staff members, but it was atrocious. The side salad resembled paddock grasses and weeds and the burger was tough and contained a few small chunks of gristle, and was overall unpleasant. In fairness, when the waiter collected our plates and enquired about our meals, I offered my complaints and he was happy to organise another meal in replacement, but I declined. As it was my brother's turn to pay, he later informed me that they didn't charge him for my meal - a nice gesture. (NB: He was only mildly disappointed, as the price didn't match the quality and the choices were poor.)

Breakfast, the next morning was a much better event and was located in another section of the building. However, service was a little slow and at first I thought I had entered the wrong section of the building. The quality of the breakfast, and amount was good and there were several standard choices in both meals and beverages. Just wished dinner was as good as the breakfast, where I finally got to try 'black pudding'.

Throughout our accommodation stay, we only encountered two staff members who were both as helpful as possible, polite and hospitable - unlike several of the shop owners within the town, who were unhelpful, vague and abrupt with the attitude of being sick of tourists. We didn't like the town and were glad to leave, however the surrounds are beautiful and worthwhile visiting.

In the morning, the promised start time of the road works of 8:30 / 9:00am was either a guestimate by one of the staff members or the council did what it pleases and started when they wanted too....7:30am! Even at 7:00am you could hear them in preparation for the 7:30am start. Again, no fault of the hotel, but it did contribute to the bad feeling that the town offered.

Overall, the place was pleasant enough for an overnight stay, and with a few improvements in both staff numbers and the room appearances, it's equipment and the ensuite carpet removed it would be far superior and excellent value for money. If I travelled to Windermere again I would see what else is on offer, but if I had to return to this hotel I would not be upset nor too disappointed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DJEargasm
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Good position within the town. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was excellent. The rooms had everything we needed, although a little modernisation wouldn't harm. There is parking, but its very limited. We'd go back again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve S
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights and cannot fault the food or ambience.

Rooms are comfortable, if a little dated. But, on the basis, that you are in the Lake District to enjoy the scenery, walks etc. this a great spot. Excellent breakfast to keep you going through the day and then a fantastic evening menu which is difficult to choose from. The triple cooked chips are to die for and the salad side dishes are highly recommneded. Excellent range of 'sharing platters' and daily specials - you really will be hard pressed to find anything better in Windemere.

The hotel is conveniently located just off the A591 and benefits from not being too close to the centre of Windemere.

All in all, we would heartily recommend the hotel, its very helpful & frinedly staff ...oh, and did I mention the food?

Room Tip: Book early!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JCC198
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed here in May this year with my boyfriend for a 2 night long weekend. Room we were allocated was good size, bit odd to have an en-suite fire exit room but thankfully did not need to be used. Shower was attached to plugs in bath and not to wall which could do with some improvements. Breakfast was fantastic, lots on offer. Ate here one evening, dispite no reservation they were able to fit us in, very impressed with portions they reflect the cost!!! My boyfriend had one issue however over the lack of real ales that were stated on hotel description.
Close to all local pubs and shops, approx 20 min walk to lake windermere.
Would stay again!!!

Room Tip: Higher price doubles worth the extra cost
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple