“Too hot for summer”
Review of The Lamplighter

The Lamplighter
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Not a bad hotel in any way shape or form. but if you're planning on staying here in a hot summer; Bring your own Fan! there is no air conditioning and really, this hotel needs to sort this out. especially at these prices. Duh??

Also, asthma sufferers stay clear- for dust is lurking behind the TV ( a lot of dust).

The nice staff, the en suite and the very comfortable bed were the saving graces of our visit.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice and friendly.
It is in the centre of Windermere town and close to restaurants and shops. If you prefer to be lakeside then you will need to stay elsewhere but it's only a few minutes drive away.
Our room was clean and felt newly decorated which I believe it was, the bathroom was large and very clean however I did not get a hot shower in the 3 days I was there not sure why not but as the staff were so friendly I felt I did not want to complain.
The breakfast was nice I'd recommend the Greek yoghurt. We did plan to dine at the restaurant but the menu on the Internet and supplied in our room was different when we arrived to eat and the 2 main options we had wanted were no longer on the new menu so we opted elsewhere, the only gripe I had with the dining room is that we had the table right outside the kitchen so the door was swinging all the time, request a table by the window.
Overall it was fair value for money for the location.
The carpark did get full at times so you may have to find road parking if busy.
James and the manger were helpful.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Me and my other half stayed here for a weekend on my birthday. It was very warm and cosy and had a nice view of the falling snow from the window.
We enjoyed the food and the staff were friendly, however if i was to stay here again, I would need to ask for a room on the top floor as there was noisy people above us!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay at the lamplighter because of the great value offer we got and the central Windermere location.

When we arrived we were able to park on the premises- however there are only a few parking spaces and it can get busy in the evenings. we were greeted and shown our room immediately. The room was clean, neat and well decorated. The bathroom is spotless.

We ventured out from the guesthouse. It's literally 1 minute from the station but to get to the lake it's about 1 1/2 miles walk - the return walk is uphill and quite steep in some parts. Conveniently located for Orrest Head as well as A5901.

The only criticism would be noise as the room is overlooking one of the main roads so it's busy from about 6am - if you're sensitive to noise I wouldn't recommend this place. Also the bar/restaurant can cause noise in the evenings..

The food in the restaurant was fantastic!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 26 May 2013

arrived on the 23rd march for a one night, there we're 8 of us all girls and we we're checked in very quickly by very pleasant staff,the room was fantastic very big, the bathroom was the biggest I've stayed in,everything was spotless,had a nice walk round ,then headed back to change and have,dinner in hotel,which I must say was great, best fish and chip s I've had in a long time,and great service,went for a night out and arrived back to the lovely comfy bed,best nights sleep had in along time, Had breakfast which was great to and set you up for the,day ,all in,all I would recommend this hotel for location,great service and staff and a enjoyable place,to stay,which all of us,agreed ,thank you

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We booked ahead of time and booked a double room for two. It is quite small. By Canadian standards and I did not love that the cooking smells wafted up to our bedroom . There was a very bright street lamp right outside the window....which made it too bright. All their staff were friendly and very helpful. Next time I would make sure there was no civic holiday so we could have more choices.

Room Tip: Far far away from the kitchen smells and not facing the street
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Lamplighter in Windermere as my base to visit the Lake District. It was a delightful hotel to relax and rest after trekking and sightseeing in the neighboring villages. It doesn't have a lot of frills, but has the perfect necessities to make for a great stay: clean room and bathroom, comfortable bed, and great shower. There was a flat screen TV and free coffee/tea available in the room as well. The location of the hotel is great, being about a 2- to 5-minute walk to the Windermere train station giving easy access to other English cities and major hubs. You can also board several buses from the station that will get you all around the Lake District at an affordable price. Also, the town is small, so it is easy to walk to the city centre. The staff was extremely friendly. The restaurant is great and the inclusive breakfast had many tasty options to select for a full English breakfast (or modified one). I’d highly recommend this hotel and definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo