“We would recommend The Lamplighter to family and friends”
Review of The Lamplighter

The Lamplighter
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Leeds, United Kingdom
“We would recommend The Lamplighter to family and friends”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just for fun and for old times sake we decided to stay at the Oakthorpe (Lamplighter) Hotel for the first time since our wedding night 45 years ago. We booked in for 2 nights this time on the end of a few days touring.

We could nit-pick but we won't because as in life nothing is ever perfect but we were not disappointed. James made our stay special by organising the most beautiful bouquet in our clean and spacious room which had a newly fitted bathroom - unlike our original visit which was a shared one on the landing. The bed was large and comfortable... unlike the original :-)

The staff were all lovely as was the food and we enjoyed a quiet peaceful stay in spite of the hotel being comfortably full. The Lamplighter is also a hotel of charming character close to all amenities. We would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ours was No.10 - a room with a view of the main thoroughfares - and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
manchester
Reviewed 15 September 2013

we were led to belive by trip advisors guests that this hotel was 5 star only to find out it was 1 star,dont belive the pictures you see on the wed site they are not what you get. we had a deluxe double room, we wouldnt have wanted to see a standard one, furnishing was shoddy looked like it was bought from a second hand shop the wardrobe didnt even match the other tat.shower didnt work, when we reported it they said they knew about it (so why wasnt it fixed before) they still didnt fix it.complimentary soap ect was once never again, bath wasnt cleaned propaly you could feel scum around the rim,the staff non exsistant and seemed to leave at night so there is knowone to contact only a duty manager on a mobile. the whole place needs a complete uplift, the sickening smell of fish when they are cooking is awful,which lingers about on your clothes and room even if you have not been in there and menu over priced.sorry if you read this after you have booked but there are lot better places at less than price

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liverpoolmanchester
SueTasker, Owner at The Lamplighter, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear liverpoolmanchester,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences whilst at The Lamplighter. I was naturally saddened to read the contents of your review and particularly surprised also as no comments were made throughout your time with us. Had they been I would assure you that we would have reacted immediately to endeavour to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

In the first instance I would advise all readers that the pictures on the website are of the bedrooms at the property. I am sorry also if you feel mislead by other reviewers. This is something that I can not control, despite your belief to the contrary that lead you to write a further review on our bar and restaurant listing accusing me of having your review removed. This is not possible and indeed I would not want negative reviews removed otherwise how would I have a balanced view of my business.

All of the showers are only 18 months old and none have been reported as broken. I have however as a result of your comments and as I can not ascertain which room you were in have had all of the showers throughout the building serviced this week.

Your review implies that my team have a shrug their shoulders approach to customer service which I refute in the strongest possible terms. You only have to look at all of our online reviews to see that they will do anything and everything to assist our valued guests. This is also the case with our housekeepers and have never previously received a comment such as your own. There is a non-slip coating applied to the baths and I can only assume that this may have been misinterpreted as dirt due to the texture. Again as with the showers I have had all of the bathrooms throughout the building stripped and deep cleaned as a result.

With regards to the staff leaving at night I can also assure you that this is not the case as well as them being non-existent during the day. We always have at least 2 members of staff on duty
and the reception bell is linked to a pager that is carried "at all times". We only have 10 letting rooms and so would not have a receptionist at the reception desk 24 hours a day. I would also advise that we are a 4 star inn. As much as we would love to be a 5* Hotel, I can only apologise if you thought this to be the case. We have two members of staff that live on site and take it in turns to carry a Duty Manager mobile phone in order that they may be contacted in emergencies. As a further measure we also have a board in reception that is placed there once the bar closes with an additional 3 numbers of staff that live in the immediate area and can be at the hotel within a matter of minutes.

As for your final comments, I can only again apologise that you feel this way and experienced this issue that we have not come across in the past but have taken steps to ensure do not re-occur in the future. We believe that we are fairly priced for our menu with starters from £5.95 and main courses from £10.00. Very few guests manage dessert based on the size of the portions but again from £4.95 do feel that these are well placed based on the quality.

I can only apologise once again for the fact that we did not even meet your expectations and would offer our assurance that had you raised these matters at the time they would have immediately been addressed. I very much hope that you would afford us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel as our guests in order that we may endeavour to redeem ourselves in your eyes and I would ask that you contact me directly in order that I may personally oversee all of the arrangements in this regard or indeed should you wish to discuss any elements further Tel 01539443547.

With renewed apologies

James
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

menu choose excellent although a bit expensive for what was on the plate. However the quality made up for it. Stayed two nights in the hotel rooms were good but showed a bit of age. Bedroom furniture in room 4 a bit shaby needs changing . Overall would have no problem booking or recommending the Lamplighter as a place to stay and eat. Excellent choose in the bar for drinks even had my favourite gin result !!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked a night here on a road trip with my parents who were visiting me in the UK and found the owners friendly, the room was lovely and not at all small. Breakfast is fantastic and the restaurant is worth stopping past for dinner. I hope to stay again soon.

Room Tip: Worth the extra few pounds for a bigger room! Loved my corner room!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

A lovely hotel with great staff and great food :) the only criticism would be that there was not enough storage in our room as we could only fit one suitcase in the cupboard and we had two so the floor space in our room was taken up with one suitcase and our dogs bed!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
newcastle
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in this guest house.The staff were friendly enough, the room was ok a bit small though, we paid for a superior room on booking.com, but not sure if this was a superior room. The bathroom was lovely though and it was fine for a one night stay.The breakfast I thought was fantastic, the sausage and bacon were lovely. Couldn't fault it wouldn't want to fault it. The service was fine aswell. We had a mojito cocktail at the bar and it was lovely, we sat outside on the balcony area it was really pleasant. We would go back again if we were in a different room and not room 1.

• Stayed August 2013
London UK
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

Room small but newly decorated and new white bathroom which felt a bit clinical Tumblers for tooth brushes would have been nice. Fan provided which was thoughtful. Breakfast service good but limited choice and felt mass produced. By lake district standards the breakfast was less good than most we have had but not bad. . Served its purpose but would look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2013