The Lamplighter
  • Restaurant
US$349
Official Site
TripAdvisor
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslake districtrestaurant with roomstrain stationcoffee machineon arrivalone night staylarge bathroomwould stay againfull englishlovely hotelhigh standardshower roommy partnerorrest headvery pleasant stayfantastic foodbooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were looking for something close to the lake that had free car parking, wasn't based around corporates and maybe had personality and character.. A big ask! but the Lamplighter far exceeded expectations: James, the owners son and host, greeted us offering a nice room with clean bedding and spotless bathroom.
We had read a few reviews about food not being exemplary but for dinner (8.30) we were offered an "off menu" gamble of stuffed smoked salmon, lamb with haggis mash, courgette goujons, carrots and new potatoes. My OH had a chicken wrapped in bacon on creamy mash with white wine sauce. I wouldn't usually list what I ate but it was amazing! Hot, plentiful and cooked to perfection unlike many "big name" London restaurants. Service was quick, polite and never in your face- that's a skill. In the bar we chilled to some ad-hoc acoustic session where a Parisienne violinist joined in as the real fire blazed. Breakfast was equally fab and fresh, not been sat on a hot plate. Even at 9 a.m. attention to detail was nice and the hosts were lovely once again. I'm not sure what people expect for £69?, especially in the centre of a tourist trap, but we have stayed all over the world and the Lamplighter is up there with the best for value and character and we will be back. Oh, and in-case you wondered if we're just like you so you can believe the review? ...We are mid 40's working class from the N.W of England who like to be treated well and enjoy our hard earned breaks away. If you want suits, black glass, chrome and teeth-whitened bar staff go elsewhere. If you want a family run B&B with people that take the time to speak to you and go the extra mile... this is it.

Room Tip: Ask the waiter for any specials, as he and the chef are willing to cater and offer something a bit different.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Neil M
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The good points first. The room was clean and the breakfast was nice.
The negatives - (Bearing in mind we had gone for a couple of days to relax and do very little - perhaps just sit in the hotel and read etc.)
The reception area was gloomy/not very inviting.
The room (room 3) was very overlooked from the street (we observed people in the adjacent room from the street ourselves, the first afternoon). The only solution was to lower the blinds but that put the room in darkness, which during the day isn't what you want.
The shower worked but was a very weak spray. (The shower room had been described as a bathroom on the website)
When I asked if we could take our coffees somewhere after breakfast I was told that the lounge area was not available as there were lots of Jack Russels in there at that time. I also asked if there was a newspaper, but no.
The dining room was really gloomy. No warmth to it. Two central lights. No subtlety. It felt like no one really cared about the atmosphere.
The restaurant menu was not the "home cooked' image we had expected and was quite pricey so we had to go out both nights to eat which was not what we'd hoped to do.
Overall the place felt a bit 'tired' and like they were trying to 'watch the pennies' (the serviettes at breakfast couldn't have been any thinner). Also,we could hear hoovering in reception whilst eating breakfast. Not very professional/relaxing.
The waitresses at breakfast were lovely.
None of the above could be changed by mentioning it to the owners, so we didn't report the 'problems'.
Sadly, overall, not what we had hoped for.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Celt2013
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We were after somewhere for a one night stay so we could travel up to the Lake District the night before our holiday rental was available. We choose the Lamplighter because it had a car park, was easy to get to and had good reviews. We had also eaten in the pub years ago so we knew its location which made life easier.

I emailed the hotel before making the booking to enquire about car parking. My exchanges over email with one of the owners James were extremely helpful and friendly so I booked the hotel.
We arrived an hour before check-in but James saw to us straight away and showed us to our room. We asked about dining in the bar and he offered to book us a table in case they were busy. We had booked one of the cheaper rooms available but were still pleased with it. We had a corner room overlooking the car park which was quite large, with a comfortable bed and plenty of room for our bags. The bathroom had a nice powerful shower and it all looked fairly new. The room was comfortable, clean and had everything we needed.

We ate in the bar for our evening meal. We were offered a table in the restaurant but were quite happy in the bar which had a really nice and relaxed feel to it. The service from the staff was excellent, very helpful and friendly, they were informative when we asked about dishes on the menu. The menu wasn’t huge but had a good choose and there were a few specials as well. The food isn’t cheap, maybe £12plus for a main course but when they arrived they were a substantial size and we were glad we didn’t order a starter. My husband particular enjoyed his belly pork which was excellent and I really enjoyed the mixture of accompanying side dishes. The only tiny niggle was that you could not swap the side dishes which came with your main so when we asked if my husband could have chips we were told they would be extra. I had room for pudding and loved the Bailys crème brulee which is one of the best puddings I have had in a while! We found the food and the service to be very good and enjoyed our meal.

Breakfast in the morning again was extremely well cooked and again the service was excellent. The bacon and sausage served were of a high standard and the scrambled eggs excellent.
The lamplighter was only a base for a quick overnight stay but I would happily go back. What really makes the hotel is the service especially by the owners who are extremely friendly and helpful without being over the top. It is extremely good value for a bed and breakfast and even through the food was a bit more on the expensive side we would definitely eat there again as the quality was so good.

All in all a good stay and I am sure we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SamM2509
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We visited for tea today. It was very quiet and we sat at the back. I asked if there was lobster on the menu and was told yes so ordered that immediately. My wife ordered the pork belly. We had a rustic bread for starter with oils and tgis was nice. I was then told there was no lobster which was disappointing however I had the game burger instead.
Food arrived and my word there were big portions. My game burger had a large muffin, delicious chutney and salad with some lovely chips. My wifes pork belly was beautiful ly cooked in a nice masala sauce. The plate of vegetables she got was lovely with zucchini fries, herb potatoes and squash. I actually enjoyed this more than my own.
The game burger was tasty, however quite rich for my liking and I left half of it I definitely got my moneys worth. The service was also great.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carlos R
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I booked in for the weekend and had a wonderful time. The room was comfortable and clean with a spotless bathroom. Breakfast was lovely and set us up for the day. The staff were helpful and friendly but not in your face which was just what we wanted. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: November 2013