Having looked at the reviews of others and doing so before we stayed here, over all it didn't live up to expectations on all fronts. The reception area is just approaching need of updating and we we had to wait a while to get checked in, but when staff arrived we were treated quickly and pleasantly. Moving up the stairs to get to the room (and note for those with limited mobility, there is no lift and there are several steps in corridors as the building is on a bit of a slope), things deteriorated. The carpet in places is nothing less than filthy and really let's the place down, paintwork is badly chipped and a makeshift cupboard roughly painted with an unfinished hasp lock looks awful, on reaching the corridor the room is on there are no less than three types of wallpaper, some painted others not and two colours of carpet. Based on this I was dreading seeing the room. The good news is that the room was ok. Bed large and comfortable, pillows not so, old furniture in need of replacement, bathroom fairly new and all functional. No double glazing so the traffic noise on the one way system is bad, oh and on Mondays it's recycling day and at 0630am it's loud, no chance of sleeping through. Weather was warm, so had to have window open which made things worse. Fan provided which helped a bit. Breakfast excellent, lots of choice, with helpful pleasant lady serving. Over all though, there is better accommodation nearby so wouldn't stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned Victorian guesthouse and pub, situated in the heart of Windermere Village and located in the heart of the Lake District. Two minutes walk from Windermere train station, just off the A591 and the perfect location from which to explore the idyllic surroundings, with local amenities on your doorstep. Offering seven comfortable en-suite bedrooms and two shower only, also attached is The Lamplighter bar serving home cooked traditional pub food and beer affording great value for money. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotel.de, HRS and Ebookers so you can book your The Lamplighter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oakthorpe Hotel Windermere
- The Lamplighter Windermere, Lake District