Briscoe Lodge
US$238
  • Breakfast included
Windermere Manor Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$208
  • Restaurant
US$350
Official Site
TripAdvisor
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House(Windermere)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsself catering apartmentbig sofashort staybunk bedsthe ground floorb blake districtexcellent accommodationbreakfast menulovely hostsstayed here for two nightsminute walkwould stay againperfect locationa lovely staygrahamunit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Arrived late as my bag pack was stolen, Graham was kind enough to let me use the computer to check train schedule. Stayed 2 nights here in Ennerdale room. The room was small, no room for big luggage. The headboard need to be change! Didn't like the carpeted toilet as it stink. Breakfast was great. Location very near to town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank ylau01
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed at Briscoe Lodge self catering (ground floor flat) for 3 night in March 2014.

This was my second stay there, first one was at Christmas 2013 - the fact that I went back already should say something ;)

The place is great for anyone who want independent living while on holiday without any restrictions of set meal times etc etc.

I am going to describe post stays in one review here.

My Christmas stay was absolutely brilliant - I was staying in the downstairs flat as it has got a full size kitchen with everything you may need - pots/pans/plates/glasses/cutlery etc etc is all there. As I was preparing Christmas lunch/dinner there - this was a massive plus.

I was there by myself (with local family visiting for lunch/dinner at Christmas) so I stayed in the double bedroom on a double bed and the second, smaller bedroom with bunk bed was empty.

There was someone in the upstairs flat, with a little dog but so quiet I hardly heard anything from the upstairs flat on my first visit to Briscoe Lodge.

The flats are located on a side road of the main road, the entrance is from a back slip road, very quiet, private and safe and only a 5 minute walk to the centre of Windermere (cafes/restaurants/Morrisons, Cooperative etc etc) and about 20 minutes walk (I walk slow) from the Bowness and the Lake so location is brilliant.

Very clean, with sufficient heating throughout the flat and each radiator operating independently so you can have heating where you need it without having to heat up the whole flat. Which is important as electric is operated on coin meter.

Very big living room with 2 armchairs, big sofa (that opens up as a sofa bed), big window, very bright.

The only small criticism for my Christmas stay was lack of heating in the kitchen - there was an electric radiator there , one that you have to plug in to the wall socket and it's cable is rather short. In winter I would personally prefer to have a normal radiator(like n the rest of the flat) in the kitchen that I could leave on overnight and in the morning kitchen would be nice and warm when I walk in. In winter it was really cold. BUT this is the only downside of my Christmas stay there.

Great shower (emerson heater heats the water in 10 minutes)

Very well equipped flat.

My second stay at Briscoe Lodge self catering was 13-16 March 2014, again in the downstairs flat and this time I went there with my mother so she had the double bedroom and I slept on the bottom bunk bed.

Now, for an adult - not advisable BUT I should have taken the upstairs flat this time so totally my fault :)

Again, lovely stay overall, Graham as always extremely helpful, the flat was repainted since my last stay there so all lovely and fresh.

Small issue this time was the noise from the upstairs flat - there was 3 people staying there at the same time I was in the downstairs one and we could hear absolutely everything very late at night, TV. conversations, walking around the flat, shower etc etc. As it was very late at night, it was a bit of an issue, especially for my mother who likes an early night.

BUT - nobody's fault, absolutely not Graham's or the guests upstairs, it is just the design of the flat and perhaps one of it's charms ;)

Overall - love Briscoe Lodge and already booked my next stay there for June, for the whole week.

Highly recommended to anyone who wants to feel free on their holidays, come/go as they please, eat out or in (we had a full Christmas lunch and dinner cooked in the downstairs kitchen as all you need is there).

On a side note, if you fancy eating out - try Mojos Bistro in Windermere for dinner, but make a reservation first as they tend to be fully booked - excellent food, only open for dinner 6-9 pm.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by noise at night - book the upstairs flat. In the downstairs one (where I stayed twice now as it has much bigger kitchen and is easier to pop out for a ciggy outside) one can hear absolutely everything from upstairs, all walking/talking/everything. This does not reflect on the owners in any way at all - it is just the design of the flats. So depends on who is upstairs, what time they come back at night etc etc - the noise levels can bother some people.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna B
Reviewed 13 March 2014

my fiance and i stayed here for one night was a nice little room and the manager was very pleasant. The only downside was being woken up at 6am by a crying screaming child and was running around the b&b for about 2hrs. So wasnt the best wake up call for a sunday morning.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Nicky P
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Have just had a weeks stay at Briscoe Lodge self catering apartment and it was fantastic as usual. We have been stopping here now for several years and visit up to 3 times a year. We would not contemplate stopping anywhere else as the apartments are of a good size,have all the facilities we need,are nice and clean and in a great location in Windermere. Graham and Janett the owners are lovely people,very friendly and helpful. We would highly recommend the apartments to couples or families who are looking for a place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great Location and brilliant hosts! Would recommend!
We were travelling as a group of 4 adults and two teenage children so had to take up two apartments. Both were very clean. We didn't have any trouble with the metered electricity that other reviewers have spoken about - that may be due to the good weather we experienced.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family