“Perfect for me”

YHA Windermere
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect for me”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This hostel has the most splendid and idyllic location. I stayed for 4 nights in September 2013. My bedroom provided panoramic views of the glorious lakes district. It's perfect if, like me, you love wondering around the country time or if you have a car. It's quite a trek from the train station, so if you have luggage I recommend jumping in a cab, otherwise it's quite a lovely 45 min walk. The dining and kitchen have fantastic views. The staff are lovely! The facilities are always clean. You have the option of self catering or paying for a meal to be served to you, they have an extensive menu providing for all tastes and kids eat free! There is also a bar. I enjoyed spending my evenings curled up on a couch reading my book with a glass of wine. There are plenty of walks to do from this location, remember to bring a rain coat though! If you ask the day before, they will make a picnic lunch for you to take on your adventure! Cute! I wouldn't recommend this for travellers who want to go out drinking at night. It's very chill here. There's a 11:30 curfew, but stay in and drink here! Plenty of nice people to chat to at the bar! It's worth becoming a YHA member to get free wifi and save every night you stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane T
YHAWindermere, Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for a great review! Its also a good tip about the wi fi. YHA now offer free wi fi to YHA members so it's often worth joining - this also gives you a discount on every night you stay in a YHA and local discounts too....

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 1 September 2013

When I checked in, I asked if I could have a take away breakfast on the day of departure but the man said he wasn't sure if this could be done. He offered me a packed lunch instead, this is something I didn't really want. Who would want a packed lunch for breakfast? I also said I would be leaving early, this is why I wanted a take away breakfast and I felt I was being interrogated to why I wanted to leave early! My coach left at 8.55 am and I planned to walk to the station to catch it so I wanted to allow plenty of time as I did not want to miss it!!! I had my luggage with me as well. I was informed it was 2-3 miles to the station. I could not afford a taxi and the buses at that time of the morning were at inconvenient times.

I was also told to take a free bed, I thought this was a strange to say. I am an experienced hosteller and I have never taken someone else's bed.

The day before I left I found out that a take away breakfast was being advertised on a blackboard! So I went back to ask the girl on reception if I could change my packed lunch to a packed breakfast and this man came out and dealt with me. I was made to feel like I was causing a nuisance, I was left feeling really upset. I feel it was poor service!

If you can't offer something, then paint over it. There is blackboard paint available from hardware shops!

On the day of departure, my packed lunch was not ready so I had to wait for it to be made even though I had said I need to leave early. It could have been left in the self catering kitchen the night before! I found the lady who dealt with me was quite abrupt, almost to the point of being rude.

I will admit the young girl on reception was very friendly and helpful so was the Indian man and the man with the sideburns. They were more than helpful and went out of their way to help!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pixiewill
YHAWindermere, Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hello. I am so sorry you were disappointed with your request for a packed breakfast - we do offer these and I am sorry if you were given a different impression at Reception. The member of staff at Reception was trying to be helpful in checking what you would like it to include, and again in asking what time you were leaving (we usually offer to book a taxi for early departures) and in helping you choose a bed.
I have made sure that all staff are aware that we do provide packed breakfasts and also that picnic lunches can be made available at night for anyone leaving early in the morning. We appreciate your feedback on this.
I do hope that this issue didn't spoil your stay with us as we genuinely hope all guests have a great stay and come back to us soon!
Thanks again for your feedback, Julie (Manager)
London
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed here for four nights in an eight bed dorm, August 2013. Its a fairly average YHA hostel really, about what you would expect from the YHA. Never really found this hostel to be very good or very exciting, and on the other hand never really found anything very bad about the place either.

Its located about halfway up hillside on a minor road about two miles from Windermere, there are good views of Lake Windermere and the surrounding hills and mountains from the back of the building. If your on foot, there's a terrible walk to the place up the minor side road which the hostel is located on, its about three quarters of a mile and its quite steeps gradients for most of the way, quite punishing if you've got a backpack. The nearest but stop is at the foot of the hill on the A591, the main Windermere to Ambleside road at Troutbeck Bridge. The Taxi fare from Windermere station is about £15.00, (we had to take a Taxi one night). For the nearest shops and supermarkets you have to go into Windermere or Bowness, both about two miles from the hostel, however, there is a Petrol Station Filling Station near the bus stop about three quarters of a mile from the hostel that sells quite a good selection a food and groceries, it also has a good Off Licence selling a good selection of beers wines and spirits ect ect. This hostel is a bit out of the way in my opinion, alright if you've got a car, but if you haven't its quite a long gruelling walk from the main road and the bus stop, if you getting on in years, or if your unfit ect ect, you would probably struggle with that a bit. As ive already mentioned though, there are fine views over Lake Windermere and the surrounding countryside and mountains from the hostel. Didn't like the bed at this hostel very much, the mattress was to hard. Had to pay for wifi here, £7.00 for three days, far too much if you ask me. Theres a bar-restaurant at this hostel selling reasonable meals and a reasonable selection of wines beers and spirits, its quite exspensive though. Thouhgt the self catering kitchen here was a bit on the small side for the size of hostel that this one is, it got a bit packed and cramped at times, had to wait to use stuff some of the time also. And finally, I didn't like the 11:30 curfew at this hostel, if your on foot and go out on the town at night you've got to remember you've got to get back before that, obviously, if you don't you get locked out, you cant spend very much time in the local towns in the evening for that reason if you've got no car.

1 Thank James D
Thanks for taking the time to feedback to us. Without a car it does take a bit of extra effort to get here (a mile walk up uphill!) but hopefully the walk is well worth it for the stunning location and panoramic view over the lake! We are a quiet peaceful location and popular with walkers and families. If you are a party animal looking for a good night out we may not be the hostel for you, but if you are looking to escape the crowds we are hard to beat! Incidentally, the taxi fare from the station is usually £7.00 so maybe you were charged double after midnight?
On a positive note, WiFi is now offered FREE to YHA members!
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

A very friendly hostel with plenty of shared space. Good food, great bar area, adequate self catering. A wonderful view from the terrace and plenty of bird watching from the dining room due to the nut feeders hanging there.

1 Thank Trekbud
Preston, Lancashire
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the hostel. We were very impressed with the refurbishment of this delightful property. The history of the place was very interesting too. We stay in youth hostels on a regular basis, but have never had an en suite in a dormitory before! Beds were clean and comfortable with adequate storage space. Room light and airy. Showers had plenty of hot water at all times.
I didn't have a particularly good night due to other users mobile phones 'receiving messages' several times throughout the night and early morning. Maybe a good idea to ask users to make sure phones are on silent mode when retiring!
We chose to stay in the hostel for our evening meal. We were blessed with superb weather and it was a bonus to be able to sit out on the terrace, admiring the views, with a glass of wine before dinner.
Reading previous reviews about meals, I think that I was just unlucky on this occasion. I opted for roast veg lasagne which was completely incinerated when it arrived! The kitchen staff apologised, and prepared me a replacement. We were also offered complimentary deserts. Unfortunately the replacement lasagne wasn't burnt, but was dreadful. The lasagne sheets were hard and chewy, and there was no sign of any roasted vegetables!
However, I'll assume that this was a 'one off' as I did not hear of any other guests complaining about the food, and breakfast was very nice and plentiful.
Yes, the hostel is in Troutbeck which is a way out of Windermere, but this just adds to its charm, away from all the hustle and bustle. We would not hesitate to recommend this place and would be pleased to stay here again.

Room Tip: Dormitories are always hit and miss, as you never know who you will be sharing with. Private rooms a...
1 Thank pinkilda
Glad you had a good stay and enjoyed our wonderful views and peaceful location. Our apologies again for a disappointing meal and thanks for being understanding - we now have a new lasagne recipe! Hope to see you again, Julie
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We have never been youth hostelling before and this was a pleasant introduction to it for myself and three young children . Lounge area and eating/ self catering kitchen and dining areas were very well equipped and pleasant with outdoor seating and views to the lake . Our quad room and shared toilet and shower facilities were acceptable given that this is a hostel . I was glad we took a taxi from windermere as it is a good mile or more from the bus stops and uphill ! But a pleasant walk down . We did a mix of self catering and picnic preparation and sampling the very good food on offer . Breakfast and evening meals are both available at reasonable prices . Many thanks to the staff on reception who tracked down my bank card for me which I had left in a windermere supermarket ! We wud recommend and stay again my kids loved it .

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Trippythreetrip... G
Thanks for a great review - hope to see you again soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The YHAs rarely disappoint and this was no exception; the service was fantastic and really friendly, good food, good advice about the weather for Scafell Pike and fantastic views from the garden. The rooms were great too, as was the location which was only 2 miles from the town (and lots of decent pubs). The only one observation I would have is that I left a safety note for our climb, and upon returning the person at reception didn't have a clue. You could argue it was my fault for not being more formalised though. Anyway, go here, do Scafell!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank tigertoosh
micwhitty, Front Office Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Hi 'Tigertoosh',

Glad to hear that you had a great time and yes, other than our own well stocked bar, there is a few great decent country pubs within walking distance.

I would like to quickly point out that we (as in all the YHA's in the Lakes) do have a very well constructed Route Plan Scheme in place, and the 'critical piece' to it working is that the walkers/climbers nominate and inform someone 'near & dear' to them (i.e. spouce or parent) with an instruction along the lines of "If you don't hear from me by X:xx pm tonight, then assume I am injured or lost, and ring 000 and ask for 'Mountain Rescue', AND tell them (Mountain Rescue) that there is a detailed Route Card held at YHA Windermere". The first we should know about any difficulties is when the Police or Mountain Rescue call to retieve the Route Card to assist in the search.
If you had of asked me about the Route Card Scheme before setting off, I could have explained - as it was when I came in to open up the office at 7:00 all I found was a note listing your names and 'Climbing Scarfell'. I knew about it (and pinned it to the back wall in the office), but with seven staff all working different hours during the day, the chances of anyone monitoring your return is pretty slim - whereas if your nominated person would probably be on tender-hooks until they recieved your 'We're okay' phone-call, expecially if it's your Mum :-)

I'm only letting you know so that you don't think we 'didn't care', as we do, and one of our colleagues (also the local Mountain Rescue Team Leader) has developed what is an ideal system.

Regards,

Mic Whitty
YHA Windermere
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Loughrigg
YHA Borrowdale
YHA Borrowdale
#1 of 4 in Borrowdale

Been to YHA Windermere? Share your experiences!