“A prison-like experience in an idyllic setting” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of YHA Windermere

YHA Windermere
London, United Kingdom
“A prison-like experience in an idyllic setting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Fantastic views from this youth hostel let down by an 11.30 curfew, school-like policies, and rude staff. If you only want families to stay why not stipulate this? Bad choice for groups looking for a fun break despite the website description saying it is 'perfect for activity breaks'. Stayed at other youth hostels across this and other countries for similar breaks and found them much more accommodating.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RobL0ndon
YHAWindermere, Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Hello. I am so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. We welcome everyone at the hostel but do attract a high proportion of families and walkers, as well as those looking for a quieter location. We are generally relaxed with the rules but do have an 11.30 curfew for the benefit of others needing a quiet nights sleep. There is no excuse for staff rudeness though - you can ring and let me know if this was an issue, but most of our reviews comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of staff, and I can also vouch for them being a great team.
I'm glad you enjoyed our fantastic view - one of the best YHA views in the country!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Mek'ele, Ethiopia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Windermere YHA is one of the nicest, well appointed hostels that i have ever stayed in. It is a short walk away from windermere train station, which has plenty of trains daily from machester. The staff are very welcoming and accomodate many requests. The bar is well stocked, and the hostel has a good lounge area. YHA windermere is well reccomended as a first stop off on a walking holiday, or as a good base for a family adventure trip around windermere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dasal A
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Having stayed in a number of hostels across Europe over several years, this is by some margin the best. Very good food and nice restaurant generally. Rooms are clean and plenty of showers for sharing etc. Perfect location if you are off walking. Thoroughly recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sim0n1983
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Arrived later in the evening via taxi from Windermere station (12 pounds). Very welcoming check in, friendly staff all around.

Had a lovely Indian meal and a few beers before settling in to our private 6 bedded room. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable.

There were 5 guys on a walking trip and we did find the room a bit snug but managed to get all of our kit into the room and sort it out so it worked for that evening. If we had used the room for more than one night and had wet gear we would probably have considered splitting up into 2 rooms.

We chose this property because of it's location on Troutbeck and for the start of the Wainwright Memorial Walk. It may be a bit out of town if one wanted to go into Windermere on a regular basis but was perfect for us.

All the staff we met and dealt with were very accommodating, friendly, cheerful and helpful.

I look forward to staying at this hostel again. A job well done by all. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BuccaneerDave
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I returned to Youth Hostelling, after 20 years this weekend with a two night trip to YHA Windermere this time with my husband and two children. The hostel was comfortable and welcoming and there were lots of things to keep the children interested including toys, books and a quiz to spot items around the hostel. The breakfast was great and the evening meal delicious. All the staff were helpful and friendly.
We are already planning our next trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sarahawsworth
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

This hostel has the most splendid and idyllic location. I stayed for 4 nights in September 2013. My bedroom provided panoramic views of the glorious lakes district. It's perfect if, like me, you love wondering around the country time or if you have a car. It's quite a trek from the train station, so if you have luggage I recommend jumping in a cab, otherwise it's quite a lovely 45 min walk. The dining and kitchen have fantastic views. The staff are lovely! The facilities are always clean. You have the option of self catering or paying for a meal to be served to you, they have an extensive menu providing for all tastes and kids eat free! There is also a bar. I enjoyed spending my evenings curled up on a couch reading my book with a glass of wine. There are plenty of walks to do from this location, remember to bring a rain coat though! If you ask the day before, they will make a picnic lunch for you to take on your adventure! Cute! I wouldn't recommend this for travellers who want to go out drinking at night. It's very chill here. There's a 11:30 curfew, but stay in and drink here! Plenty of nice people to chat to at the bar! It's worth becoming a YHA member to get free wifi and save every night you stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jane T
YHAWindermere, Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for a great review! Its also a good tip about the wi fi. YHA now offer free wi fi to YHA members so it's often worth joining - this also gives you a discount on every night you stay in a YHA and local discounts too....
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

When I checked in, I asked if I could have a take away breakfast on the day of departure but the man said he wasn't sure if this could be done. He offered me a packed lunch instead, this is something I didn't really want. Who would want a packed lunch for breakfast? I also said I would be leaving early, this is why I wanted a take away breakfast and I felt I was being interrogated to why I wanted to leave early! My coach left at 8.55 am and I planned to walk to the station to catch it so I wanted to allow plenty of time as I did not want to miss it!!! I had my luggage with me as well. I was informed it was 2-3 miles to the station. I could not afford a taxi and the buses at that time of the morning were at inconvenient times.

I was also told to take a free bed, I thought this was a strange to say. I am an experienced hosteller and I have never taken someone else's bed.

The day before I left I found out that a take away breakfast was being advertised on a blackboard! So I went back to ask the girl on reception if I could change my packed lunch to a packed breakfast and this man came out and dealt with me. I was made to feel like I was causing a nuisance, I was left feeling really upset. I feel it was poor service!

If you can't offer something, then paint over it. There is blackboard paint available from hardware shops!

On the day of departure, my packed lunch was not ready so I had to wait for it to be made even though I had said I need to leave early. It could have been left in the self catering kitchen the night before! I found the lady who dealt with me was quite abrupt, almost to the point of being rude.

I will admit the young girl on reception was very friendly and helpful so was the Indian man and the man with the sideburns. They were more than helpful and went out of their way to help!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pixiewill
YHAWindermere, Manager at YHA Windermere, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Hello. I am so sorry you were disappointed with your request for a packed breakfast - we do offer these and I am sorry if you were given a different impression at Reception. The member of staff at Reception was trying to be helpful in checking what you would like it to include, and again in asking what time you were leaving (we usually offer to book a taxi for early departures) and in helping you choose a bed.
I have made sure that all staff are aware that we do provide packed breakfasts and also that picnic lunches can be made available at night for anyone leaving early in the morning. We appreciate your feedback on this.
I do hope that this issue didn't spoil your stay with us as we genuinely hope all guests have a great stay and come back to us soon!
Thanks again for your feedback, Julie (Manager)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Loughrigg
YHA Borrowdale
YHA Borrowdale
#1 of 4 in Borrowdale

Been to YHA Windermere? Share your experiences!