Kirkwood Guest House
  • Pool
The Lamplighter(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
Excellent 5/5
All reviewsfour poster bedlake districtb bplaces to visitfull englishlocal areabiscuitsminute walklovely couplewonderful hostseach morningtea and coffee making facilitieswine glasseslocal walkslong weekendcomfy beddressing table
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful, traditional, and welcoming place this is. Located 10 minutes walking distance from lake Windermere in one direction and 10 minutes walking distance to Windermere town centre the other.

We stayed during June 2013 for 2 nights. Our room was spotless. We had a four poster bed in a more than ample sized room and our en suite had a corner bath with an overhead shower.

Breakfast time was fantastic, plenty of choices from fresh fruit to cereal, toast with locally made jams or a full home cooked English breakfast. I have a gluten allergy and was catered for with various cereal, breads and gluten free sausages.

The b&b had a sitting room that all guests have access to. In here you will find Lots of information about local places to visit and things to do, including lots and lots of walking maps.

The owners of this little place, maggie and Boyd are what make this place so special. Nothing at all during our stay was too much to ask for and we were always greeted with a friendly smile.

I would definitely recommend this bed and breakfast and look forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Quietly located close to the main Windermere to Bowness, this place is ideally situated for a short walk for both places.
We had the top floor bedroom which will soon be refurbished. Richard and Paula were very welcoming. They have only recently taken on this venture and seem ideally fitted to it. Nothing was too much trouble to them. The breakfast choices were plentiful but as usual I had the full English and can readily confirm that it was lovely.
We will be going back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet but room 3 has a four poster and room 2 on the ground floor is what I will be asking for after Richard showed it to me. Room 7 is at the top of the house if you are a bit dodgy on your feet but Richard offered to carry our bags up which fortunately in my case wasn't needed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

As I have been staying at this hotel for the past 17 years and have seen 3 lots of owners, I was curious to see what the new owners were like and how the B and B had fared. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the place was just as welcoming as before and the new owners the same.
The breakfast are excellent with a wide range of food, even for coeliacs.We had our usual room 3 and found it to be as before - great. Hoping to see them again,sooner rather later.

Room Tip: I have slept during my 17 years there in every room and I can say they are all excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Richard and Paula are the most welcoming owners a guest could hope for. I am a keen photographer and hill walker! Richard (owner/ professional photographer) knew the lakes like the back of his hand and was incredibly helpful in guiding me to great landscape locations.

My stay was second to none, especially the breakfast, perfect everyday. I will definitely be going back in the years to come and wish them all the best in the future.

Nathan!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Kirkwood Guest House is a home from home. The location of the guest house is perfect, just a 10 minute walk into the centre of Windermere. The room was lovely and clean. The owners (Richard and Paula) are very welcoming and have a great knowledge of the area. The breakfast was great. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple