“Stating the obvious”

Windermere Manor Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I chose this hotel on Booking.com particularly because it offered a room with a view. I was staying in the Lakes after all. What constitutes a view in such a picturesque region would be pretty obvious I would think, and I don't believe a view of a slate roof, some trees and other houses really cuts it. I had paid more for a room with a view so I wasn't going to accept this for my one night in Cumbria. Without making too much mileage out of an obvious gag... the hotel does specialise in holidays for the sight impaired so maybe their regular clientele wouldn't notice but to have someone behind the desk explain to me that if the trees didn't have leaves on them, as they do at this time of year, I would be able to sea the lake from the room I was allocated, was a bit rich!
To their credit, they gave me a full refund and helped me find a much nicer hotel with a spectacular view and facilities for the same price. I'm sure they do wonderful work for an appreciative, specific, customer base but there is no way they should advertise a scenic advantage.
Staff were not very knowledgeable about surrounding restaurants, pubs, walks etc. and the menu in their restaurant was uninspiring. I didn't stay the night and I didn't eat there. It seems, even at short notice and in the height of Summer, their are many, far superior options available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Liz G

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our room (the cottages) was lovely and big and had French windows with access to an enclosed dog walking area which was perfect for us. However, we booked dinner bed and breakfast.... and whilst in our room I said " looking at the décor in the restaurant, I'd guess there will be soup, prawn cocktail and melon on the menu" AS A JOKE. We couldn't believe our eyes when that was the exact choice! Talk about a dated menu.
The biggest insult however was when the waitress offered us a special price on our 3 course meal (not knowing we'd paid for DBB) and it was half the price we'd paid online as a 'special offer'. If you like the equivalent of £10 simple Sunday lunch then this is the restaurant for you.
Not happy, not impressed.

Room Tip: The 'cottages' are large and newly refurbished. Dog friendly and open onto small patio area...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Joanna001122
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This small hotel caters for groups of blind and partially-sighted guests and their dogs, but that isn't immediately obvious when booking online; couples seeking a luxurious, romantic retreat might be disappointed by the informal, homely atmosphere. However, it would certainly be worth considering as a wedding venue as the main building, public rooms and gardens are beautiful, if in need of some maintenance in places.

The out of town location provides a lovely peaceful setting and serious walkers should have no problem with it but, in my opinion, it's a bit too far for a gentle stroll down to the lake and the shops.

Our room was large, well-furnished, comfortable and clean, with quality items in the well-stocked refreshment tray. The television was perhaps a little small, but we weren't there to watch TV. There was more than ample shelf space in the bathroom to set out toiletries but the mirror next to the sink was positioned at such an angle that I couldn't see myself in it. There was another large mirror on the wall, but that was behind me, so I had to keep turning round to apply my make-up. It wasn't a problem for me, but it might be for a less mobile guest; I'd advise taking your own small mirror!

The standard of cleanliness and decor throughout the hotel was perfectly acceptable, although the colour scheme, obviously designed to help partially sighted guests, is a little startling in some places; the stair carpet is green and yellow, while dado rails and doorframes in the bedrooms are the colour of rice pudding mixed with blackcurrant jam! Some of the woodwork shows signs of bumps and scrapes which, again, is only to be expected. However, the public rooms are very attractive and well-furnished, especially the panelled dining room.

The menus were not extensive or particularly adventurous, but still offered good choice. The food was tasty and well-cooked but not outstanding, although the wine was good value. The breakfast menu appears restrictive, but I chose to have two starters rather than a starter and a main course; this caused no problem at all, so I'd recommend just asking if you want a non-standard combination. It was relaxing having breakfast brought to our table, rather than having to jump up and down and juggle with self-service. The standard of service at both breakfast and dinner was excellent; very quick, unobtrusive and efficient. Staff were polite, friendly and helpful at all times.

In addition to welcoming both working and pet dogs, this hotel, unlike most establishments now, doesn't make smokers (and their non-smoking partners!) feel unwelcome. Easily accessible from the restaurant is a garden with plenty of seating and with clean ashtrays on every table. There is also a covered smoking area at the front of the hotel, and some rooms have private balconies.

This is not a luxury, up-market hotel and that is reflected in the price, which is low for the Lake District. It's a laid-back, quirky place that provides friendly service and good value for money. This was our second visit and we will certainly come again.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel before booking to discuss any individual needs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Val R
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and have mixed impressions of this hotel. On the positive side our room was fairly large and nice and bright. Also the hotel was in a very quiet location. However our bed was (for us ) very uncomfortable and the pillows seemed of poor quality.

Cooked breakfast was ok, but amazingly no fruit was available apart from a whole apple or banana. When my wife enquired about fruit salad or other fruits, she was told "we don't do that".

Now a sensitive issue: The hotel is a vision hotel, specialising in the needs of the visually impaired. This is obviously excellent, but be aware that there are a large number of dogs in the hotel, and whilst our room was immaculately clean, the dogs are not restricted to designated rooms. Unfortunately in the public rooms - and especially on the stairs and landings - there was significant dog hair on the carpets at various times. This could be very relevant to Asthma or allergy sufferers.

It's worth noting that the hotel is a little off the beaten track - Windermere is about a 15min walk, and Bowness about 30mins.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Howard D
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on a dinner bed and breakfast break. It is set back from the road in its own well maintained gardens, first impressions of the place are very nice. We had a double room which was fresh and clean with everything you needed in the room. A three course dinner was included in the deal we purchased and the food was a very enjoyable 3 course. Staff were very helpful and overall we had a lovely night. Will defiantly be going back soon. Value for money was excellent.

Room Tip: If you get a top floor I think there would be spectacular view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The staff were very helpful, unobtrusive and accomodating, noting they are catering for a variety of guests with different needs. Lovely grounds, including an outside chess set and parking. We stayed in rooms 1 (family room); 7 (double room) and 10 (suite) which were ideal for our needs. There were no issues experienced other than some noisy fire doors but the character of a Victorian retreat more than made up for this. The quality and variety of the meals was good, with a well stocked bar and the swimming pool and sauna were a welcome relaxation.

The reason for the 'very good' rating rather than excellent is to capture that whilst the food was very good, it wasn't outstanding and the cleanliness of the rooms whilst also good was not superb but neither of these would detract from us revisiting here or recommending it as a laid back, supportive and helpful establishment. It is slightly off the beaten track but with decent footwear, Winderemere is accessible by foot.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Had a one night taster at this hotel. Nice "shabby chic" hotel. Good size rooms, entertaining staff (Ben) good facilities & good food all at a bargain basement price. Well worth another extended visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple