“pleasant and comfortable”
Review of Park Beck

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windermere
Park Beck
Ranked #77 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“pleasant and comfortable”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My wife and I booked online and called to confirm our bookings. We were scheduled to check in at 3pm. We called to check if there was flexibility in the time to check in. We got a prompt and open hearted yes to that from the landlady. When we arrived there at 6pm we were welcomed warmly and shown our room. The room was neat. There was coffee sachets with milk and sugar on the table. The bathroom and toilet were clean. There was hot water. The curtains were tidy and stylish. The bed was clean. The landlady asked us about our breakfast plan and she was culturally sensitive enough to proactively enquire about dietary restrictions. We were vegetarians. The place is located at a quiet street. In the morning breakfast was served on time and there was a vegetarian menu. The egg, toast, tomato and hashbrown were tasty. The person serving us was enthusiastic. We were then told our check out time and were kindly offered to store our luggage until we had to catch the train. That was very understanding of the landlady.
I recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vinod K

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My friends and I came in a group of four. Despite the fact that we booked for a room for 4, the landlady, Anita, gracefully offered us 2 rooms in the attic instead. Such gesture in the hospitality service is overwhelming to us, especially when it was the peak season in Lake District. The rooms were clean and well maintained and breakfast was served in time with great service. This B&B is a family business that is run with homey environment. I'll strongly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a friendly and clean environment. Hope to visit you again, Anita. Cheers.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank wyndz120190
New York
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My family and I stayed in the Park Beck recently. We booked out four family rooms and we all had the same experience. The landlady to start with is rude, hostile and extremely unfriendly. She certainly gave us the impression that we were an inconvenience and not welcome. The rooms were shabby, poorly decorated and in desperate need of renovation. My own room in particular was on the top floor (third floor), to reach the room- you had to climb very narrow steep stairs. The room was built into the roof and was very pokey and you had to be careful not to bump your head of the ceiling. The curtains did not meet in the middle so we had no choice but to rise early every morning. Our toilet had a mind of its own, 9 times out of 10 it did not flush. The shower was a huge disappointment, in the end we gave up trying to shower under it as it was not worth our time. The towels felt like cardboard and were so small you could not wrap them around yourself. The breakfast was okay, probably the only saving grace but that is not saying a whole lot. The food was cooked to order, no great choice. Eggs, or english breakfast. Cereal was measured out for you and no choice-bran flakes. Juice was also measured out and again no choice-orange. This really was an extremely disappointing stay, topped off by without a shadow of doubt the worst landlady in history.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank lohanstefan
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

On a quiet residential road less than 10 minutes walk from the centre of Windermere making it the perfect balance of access to amenities and a quiet nights sleep. The room we had was a very good size and a uninterupted sleep was had by all. The hosts were very friendly and clearly took pride in making the stay comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mortozola
Huaraz
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have been visiting the Lake District for over 15 years now and actually live in the high Andes of Peru, running my own lodge. I felt extremely at home at Park Beck and enjoyed interaction with the hosts Anita and Mike, who are very hospitable and provide a lovely breakfast with all the trimmings. I had Cereal, a Full English breakfast, English Breakfast tea, OJ, wholemeal toast and proper English Marmalade, it left we with my boilers fully stoked for the task ahead. I am staying here with my 73 year old father (I am 37) before and after canoeing around the entire perimeter of Windermere in a day. So we may not be typical visitors to the area. We did very much enjoy the uninterrupted sleep, comfy beds, decent sheeting , and comfortable rooms with kettle and beverages. Shower is of course en-suite and was scalding hot as I like it which allowed me to get the knots out of my aching shoulders after the longish canoe ride. It is on a very quiet street and a 3 minute walk from the High Street. My father has a dodgy ankle from sporting injuries in his hey-day and he had no problem getting to town for our daily evening meal, there are fantastic places nearby - leave your car at the B&B´s off street parking.
I am always concerned about security whilst traveling as I travel with a very shiny new Macbook Pro, Tablet and various expensive gadgets, the room was cleaned daily and my stuff, although accessible, stayed in its place.
I would like to thank Anita and Mike, who are most gracious hosts, for making us feel at home and looking after us even when we were decrepit after our canoe ride. Anita even offered to put the fire on although it was mid August.
I look forward to visiting again.
See you next time.
Charlie

Room Tip: We had room 7 on the second floor which had a double bed and single, no noise from other guests, win...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank HuarazMountainLodges
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Upon arrival we received a warm welcome from Anita the landlady, and were allowed to check in early as our room was ready. Park Beck is located on a quiet road, very close to the centre of Windermere. A peaceful sleep was had by all. Breakfast was cooked to order and was served promptly. Good quality traditional B&B at a very reasonable rate. Will be returning. Thanks Anita and partner!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SarsaparillaPine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed at Park Beck for 3 nights on Easter weekend, the opening of the season.

The guest house is conveniently located just 10min walk from the station, right by Windermere main street.

The room was very clean, with all necessary amenities (en suite, TV, drawers, towels), but not overflowing with the latest trends (no flat screen, furniture is not very modern). But hey, that's a guest house at 35gbp/person/night so that's Ok!
One note on the bed: it was much too soft for us, but I think it's a matter of taste.

The owner was very friendly, we had a chance to chat a bit when we arrived and we left. It was nice to see in their guestbook that they have been running since 1993 and got travellers from all around the world (Taiwan, US, Zimbabwe, Poland, New Zealand...) That's quite an achievement!

The breakfast was good, though I believe that if the quality of ingredients could be tuned up just a little it would be a memorable experience.

Overall it's a nice place to stay in Windermere.

Room Tip: Since there's no lift and stairs are not wide, you may want to be on the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple