“A GOOD TIME HAD BY ALL”
Review of Park Beck

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Windermere
Park Beck
Ranked #77 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
wigan
“A GOOD TIME HAD BY ALL”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

A great welcome, easy parking even for my people carrier, rooms very clean and fresh, freeview tv in each of our rooms, both en suite, nice clean towels, breakfast was excellent with a good choice, overall a great B&B, friendly,clean and helpful, would stay again and recommend, thank you Greg - Wigan

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank vwltman

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Well I was honestly quite shocked to read the above review after staying at Park Beck Guesthouse, because from personal experience I had a lovely stay in the Lakes with them. Me and my partner were looking for an affordable B&B to stay in for 4 nights for a long weekend, and wanted a well positioned guesthouse to keep costs down. We found Park Beck through the Go Lakes website and booked online, with confirmation on the phone.
On arrival, we met the husband and wife team whom run it, and the man took all my luggage upstairs for me (even though I am not known for travelling lightly!) We were shown into our room which was a lovely spacious family room facing the front of the building .. as it was empty, they upgraded us at no extra cost!
The facilities were adequate; tea and coffee making facilities - but as with all hotels and the like .. the milk was UHT, so they provided us with fresh milk when we asked for it.
I have honestly never had a better nights sleep! I work in the city and silence is scare .. but here .. in abundance!! It is situated on a quiet street, a 5 minute walk away from central Windermere and about 10-15 minutes from Lake Windermere.
The breakfast the next morning was served to us by cheerful staff - and we had the options of cereals, juice, a full English breakfast, toast and tea or coffee - traditional and very well cooked =)

Lastly, I should say that I tend to opt for B&B's when staying on mini-breaks to keep costs down, and find that some feel like you are intruding in someone else's home, however there, It had a separacy about it which made me feel all the more relaxed as I could arrive and go as I pleased with my own key and felt secure in my room.

All in all, for the money I honestly couldn't have asked for more! If you want lake views and a mini bar then you really should opt for a hotel, but this is one of the best B&Bs that I have stayed in, and as I stay in a lot, I make a point of thoroughly reviewing them - as I know I check reviews before I stay anywhere.

Would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kenco_girl
newcastle
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We had looked at loads of B&B's and this was the first one we found that could accomodate 5 people for the night we wanted. The photos from outside looked nice, but in hindsight we should have persisted and found some inside shots. This was the first visit to a B&B by some foreign friends. It wasn't a great introduction.
We booked online and received no confirmation at all. When we rang to make sure they had received the booking there was no enthusiasm or welcoming caht from the owner just 'yeah you're booked in what time are you arriving?' hang up!
Arrival wasn't much better no smile or welcome, we were just told to move the car. While one of us moved the car the others were shown to the rooms and the front door was closed.
Again no enthusiasm just '2 in there and 3 in there' pointing to 2 attic rooms.
When the driver finally got someone to answer the door to let them in we checked out the rooms. Both in the eaves of the house (2nd floor not 1st like we thought we had booked) both had a double and a single bed, all of which had limited head room. The bedding etc was clean but dated and a little threadbare. the bathrooms were clean but tatty (plastic caravan vanity units aboue the sinks) 1 towel each was provided and again they were clean but rock hard and had seen better days.
Tea and coffee making facilities were a few teabags, coffee sticks, and sugar packets (one room had no sugar) and 4 milk portions (one room had one which was off).
Breakfast was cooked well but there wasn't much choice. Cereal was measured out for you as was the juice.
All in all warm and clean but poor poor service and very little effort made to ensure you enjoyed your stay.
Checking online when we got back to see what the star rating was I discovered that the business is actually for sale. This probably explains a lot and hopefuly new owners can inject the enthusiasm that could make this a great B&B instead of a ropey one! (ps don't think it has a star rating, no plaques outside and could find no reference to start ratings on any of the websites it appears on)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends