“Oh Dear.”

Description: LA23 2JJ Used to be the Purple Chilli Internet Cafe
Sedbergh, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear.”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was so happy when I stumbled across a cafe serving what promised to be excellent vegan and vegetarian found. How disappointing! £3.00 for a plain salad wrap for my children and then there was the tiny portion of salad that came with my over salted spinich pie and my partners below average tart. The place itself needs a darn good scrub and the prices revising to reflect the portion size. I only hope that it picks itself up by the scruff of the neck because vegan and veggie cafes are, when run properly , such a joy to find. Oh and its cash only.

• Visited August 2013

Caterham, United Kingdom
“A special place!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I would have driven past unless having looked it up before visiting as an internet cafe. Although the opening times say 9am I found the lady owner there with the door open just after 8am so settled down to my laptop with a delicious latte. She really does know the state-of-the-art: you can taste both strong expresso and creamy milkiness. This is also a friendly establishment in terms of fraternising with other patrons. Free parking is available for up to an hour, just opposite or in side roads. Heading south, best try the first right turn after the cafe. I thrice returned during my week's stay.

• Visited May 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Passionate about food, less passionate about decor...”
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

The Elephant & Camel takes a bit of finding but if you're veggie/vegan/gluten intol/picky then it's a great choice against the other eateries in Bowness.

My particular foible is dairy and the quaint tearooms of England offer plenty of homemade lovelies...made lovingly with butter (why wouldn't you). The Elephant & Camel can cope with me too.

I must say I was a little surprised when I walked in. It's 'shabby quaint' - a large, well-worn comfy sofa is pushed against a wall whilst the other tables wouldn't be out of place as garden furniture on decking. It's not luxurious comfort but it's not sit on the floor time either. There are paintings on the wall, games for the kids (old & young) and a pile of newspapers. It could do with a refurbishment or a bit of a tidy-up. Also, the handle on the toilet door needs attention so if you do visit, take a screwdriver with you and tighten it up for the owner.

The proprietor is friendly and obviously passionate about her work. Her small kitchen is a chaos of fresh ingredients, Turkish-style teapots and food prep-tools. However she can tell you exactly what is contained in each and every dish she serves and that is critical for people with specific dietary requirements.

We sat on the sofa and whilst my wife fed our daughter (breastfeeding friendly too!), the owner gave us some really useful tips about the area and places we wanted to go too.

The food was quickly served and was really, really good. We both had a spinach & nut wraps & they were fresh, filling and delicious. Excellent. With a handful of drinks and some dairy-free brownies to take away, the price of the meal was very good.

All in all, it's worth a trip. Don't expect Clarriages and you will not be disappointed.

Visited April 2013
Huddersfield
“Delicious food, but needs a clean!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Delicious vegetarian and vegan food, all made fresh. Excellent cakes too. But, the place really needs a clean, the floor needs sweeping and the glasses were grubby. Owner really helpful with information about the local area, which was much appreciated.

Visited April 2013
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Wonderful vegetarian cafe with great cake”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Delicious vegan chocolate brownies and ginger slices (not just for vegans!) and other cakes. Good range of Fairtrade teas and coffees. Tasty fillings including Moroccan mushrooms, falafel, hummus, and spinach and nut pate. All vegetarian so very tasty, ethical and healthy. Friendly owner who gave us helpful advice about the local area. Relaxed atmosphere with free wifi. In Bowness-on-Windermere not far from Windermere and just down the road from St John's Lodge B&B that provides for vegetarians and vegans.

• Visited April 2013