“Appalling booking process”

Ranked #35 of 107 Windermere B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling booking process”
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Following email correspondence with Alena, I was offered a room for 2 nights for the May bank holiday. In her email, she asked that I confirm the booking which I did the following evening. In her response, she stated that the the room was no longer available because it was only held for 24 hours.

It's a shame Alena failed to mention their 24 hour policy in her initial email, otherwise I would have responded sooner. Before giving the room away I would have expected her to have made contact with me considering it was just over 24 hours. I work in the travel industry and have never experienced such poor customer service before arriving. Good places don't do this to potential customers and I definitely will not be recommending this place to my family, friends or colleagues.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rhythm_puppy
AnnesdaleWindermere, Owner at Annesdale House, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
As you made me well aware in our previous correspondence that you would be making a complaint on TripAdvisor I was neither shocked no surprised by your comments.
I am sorry to have created a bad impression on you and I wish you well.

Alena

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wales, UK
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Been to probably hundreds of hotels and b&bs over the years due to leisure and work. We stayed in the suite, and the quality of the rooms, service, food, all exceptional. Lovely hosts - discreet, welcoming, and very warm. Garden view lovely, and all very quiet. Great location for all things Lakes. It has set a new standard for me that other stays will have to live up to.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
So wonderful and uplifting to read such lovely review of Annesdale House and we cannot thank you enough. I am so pleased you felt so comfortable and welcome. I am particularly grateful as
last week someone has written such terrible things about me without even visiting us. It made me feel quite depressed..
You have now restored my belief that catering for a discerning clientele is really what matters and that it is worthwhile and a real joy. Please, come again and tell your friends.

In gratitude and with best wishes
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in March in the Annesdale Suite. Very peaceful and relaxing in spite of the convenient location near main road/Windermere town centre. Lovely accommodation with high quality fixtures, fittings, fabrics, etc. Super cooked breakfast served in room. Elena and Roger are lovely hosts - gave us our privacy but were always there for anything we needed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamesmgarbett
AnnesdaleWindermere, Owner at Annesdale House, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Thank you very much for taking the trouble to write such nice things about Annesdale House. Roger and I are delighted that you have had restful and relaxing stay and that you may return one day. We would like Annesdale House to be like 'staying with friends' and we are continuously working towards achieving this.

Please, come again and tell your friends about us.

Best wishes to you both,

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Stayed here for a birthday weekend with my sisters and would recommend it to anyone.

We had both rooms which were lovely and we were able to wander freely between the two without needing to lock the doors. Both rooms had their advantages, one having the lounge and the other having a much larger bathroom.
We especially enjoyed being able to have breakfast in our rooms.

The two B&B rooms have the ground floor to themselves so you really don't feel like you're staying in someone elses home.
That said, Alena and Roger were very welcoming hosts and were there whenever we needed them whilst remaining unobtrusive otherwise.

Annesdale really is a lovely B&B, the rooms, the breakfasts, the garden and the hosts truely lived up to all the other reviews on here.

Having stayed in Ambleside, Bowness and Windermere on numerous occasions, Annesdale would be my firm favourite for my next visit to the area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank waddic
AnnesdaleWindermere, Owner at Annesdale House, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
We were thrilled to read your generous review and so delighted that it has contributed to Annesdale House now becoming 2nd most favourite BB in our area. Many, many thanks.

Although we are not looking for praises and awards your comments indicate to us personally that people are happy staying with us. This is very helpfull as otherwise we have no idea whether we are providing the atmosphere and environment our guests are looking for.

Roger and I are so pleased that you will be visiting us again at some point in the future and that you have recommended us to your firends.
Once more, thank you very much for your generosity of spirit.

Alena & Roger
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We booked a 2 nighter in the Applethwaite suite and it was well worth the extra for the large sitting room that came with it.

The weather was well....Lakes weather and after we had had our jaunts out we came back watched films and relaxed in the lovely bright and warm sitting room, while enjoying tea and biscuits perfect.

The rooms have there own private entrance which is great too and overlook the lovely garden with numerous birds.

We opted for the breakfast in the room and Roger is a chef so it was lovely, plus he found me some black pudding, which was really nice. The hosts are onviously experienced in the trade and it shows with Alana and Roger being great hosts, very friendly, informative and welcoming.

All in all a beautifully furnished room, great location, hosts and atmosphere. It was better than many top quality boutique hotels I have stayed in and well worth the money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChavFinches
AnnesdaleWindermere, Owner at Annesdale House, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Thank you for a very kind review of Annesdale House. Roger and I are so pleased that the effect of well being, individuality and informality we are trying to create here, is working. To be yourself, to have space and peace and quiet is in our opinion the only way one can really relax.

Please, come again and tell your friends, we love to share our house with nice people. Many thanks for your generosity of spirit.

Best wishes to you both,

Alena & Roger
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2010

With sub-zero temperature outside, a cozy and comfortable "home" like Annesdale is where you'd want to be. We spent a weekend in Windermere to get a taste of the beauty of the Lake District and could not be happier with our choice of accommodation.

The B&B is located just a 5-min walk from the Windermere train station and a 20-min walk from Windermere Lake, basically in the town center. Owner Roger met us at the station with two walking sticks to help us on the slippery road with icy patches, which was a very kind gesture.

We reserved the Elleray Suite, which has a dream bathroom most Londoners would die for: huge deep tub plus a separate power rain shower in a space almost as big as the bedroom. Just light up the candles (provided) and unwind after a cold day out. One warning though - do not drain the bathtub and use the shower at the same time! They share the same pipe so only one can be drained properly at a time. Luckily we noticed the problem early so no damage was done.

The sleeping area was nicely decorated with underfloor heating and the most heavenly kingsize bed. The in-room booklet gives a detailed description of the material/fabric used to make the bed extraordinary if you want to recreate it at home. The private entrance opens up to a lovely, serene patio with a view of the home's garden. I'd love to return in warmer weather and enjoy my breakfast outdoors.

Due to the thick walls we couldn't access the free wi-fi from our room, so Alena (Roger's wife) opened up the 2nd room (Applethwaite Suite) for us to use where we could receive the signal. This suite has a much larger living area than ours, with a proper sitting room and a very powerful electric fireplace. It was magical watching the snow come down while sitting by the warm fire with a mug of mulled wine.

The bigger living space in Applethwaite suite means a much smaller bathroom with a shower/bath combination, however it's still spotless and inviting. The next time I visit Windermere with my family, I'll make sure to rent both suites so we can have the entire downstairs and partio/garden to ourselves!

The Cumbrian breakfast on our first day was delicious and hearty. The 2nd day we were sent to the hotel down the road where Roger worked as a chef and had these wonderful pancakes with more tasty Cumberland sausages. Staying at Alena and Roger's home felt like home, and they were certainly the most accommodating and helpful hosts who made our brief visit to Windermere a memorable one. We shall be back to Annesdale House, soon!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
AnnesdaleWindermere, Owner at Annesdale House, responded to this review, 18 December 2010
Such wonderful review! Thank you for taking the trouble to write and to point out various things we did not know about. Constructive comments are so very welcome as we ourselves do not stay in the suites, we have to relay on kind guests to bring things to our attention. We will be installing a second router so that the Wi-Fi can get through the thick walls and next time you come and stay the signal at Elleray will be hopefullty a lot stronger.
We are pleased that you felt at Annesdale House like 'staying with friends' rather than in a BB. This is our overall aim that our guests feel they are not just 'another customer through the door'.
Roger and I wish you a very Happy Chritmas and a Happy 2011 and hope that you will indeed bring your family next time. We are already looking forward to meeting them.
Thank you again for taking the trouble to write.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I stayed at Annesdale House for the weekend on 10th December 2010 and had an absolutely wonderful stay. My partner arranged the weekend away as a surprise and he couldnt have picked a better place. The rooms were wonderful, breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice however it is the personal touch of Aleana and Roger that made our stay extra special. Nothing was too much trouble, they gave us advice on where to eat and what to do and made our stay very memorable. I have recommended Annesdale House to lots of my friends and family and I will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
We were delighted that the surprise of coming to Annesdale House on such a memorable occasion was a success. It was also an aboslute delight for us to see you both so joyfull whilst staying here and knowing that we may have contributed in some small way to your happiness.
Roger and I wish you Happy Christmas and a Perfect 2011in every way.
Please, come and see us again.

Kind re