“A fabulous family time at the Wild Boar !”
Review of The Wild Boar

The Wild Boar
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our fourth visit as a family with two small boisterous boys and once again the Wild Boar has lived up to our expectations ! Nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are always happy to help us and the children . The food is consistently superb and the staff friendly ,helpful yet professional. The hotel itself is lovely and the attached woodland just the thing for two young boys to explore .

We have just spent a week there and have booked a further stay next year . Although it is not specifically advertised as a family venue we would highly recommend it .

The Jones family

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
wbmanager, Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Stukaz_2014

Thank you for leaving your feedback following your most recent stay at the Wild Boar with your family. I was extremely pleased that you all enjoyed yet another fabulous time not only at the Inn but in the Lake District overall.

It is always a pleasure to welcome you back and was nice to read that you made full use of our woodland at the back of the Wild Boar.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Wild Boar again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Spent a long weekend at the boar with my best mate from school walking and mountain biking in the lakes.

We chose the boar on a recommendation and it did not disappoint. Microbrewery on site which the staff gave us a very informed tour of, it's own smoke house producing beautiful sniped sirloin steaks, and a number of open log fires - not to mention the whiskey collection !

Food was excellent, although the method for seating people at tables was a little random.

Breakfast was superb (the best eggs Benedict I've had for a long time) and the home smoked salmon excellent.

We will be back.

Room Tip: If you travel as a couple go for the upgraded rooms. Old ones are great for walking / lads holiday.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mark P

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wild Boar and leaving your feedback following your recent weekend trip to the Lakes.

I was extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and got to see just what the Inn is all about with the micro-brewery and the steaks from the grill in the restaurant.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Wild Boar again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We spent a couple of nights here at Easter. The bedroom was very comfortable (superior room). The restaurant and bar areas are charming. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Overall this is an extremely well presented and run operation. If we were disappointed in anything it was the food. The menu tends towards the safe. On the first evening our meal - which was entirely meat based - was excellent but on the second we had fish and it was disappointing. Mind you we should have guessed from the name of the Inn that meat would be the safer option!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear DonOberto

Thank you for leaving your feedback on trip advisor following your recent visit to the Wild Boar over the Easter holidays. I was pleased to read that you found the majority of your stay to be enjoyable and found the staff helpful something we are extremely proud of.

I was disappointed to read that you thought the fish that you ordered on your second evening fell short of our usual high standards. I will be looking into this to see if there is anything we can do to improve matters for the future.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Wild Boar in the future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the Easter weekend had a fabulous time with family & friends to celebrate my 50th birthday. Rooms absolutely fab , clean comfortable and very Relaxing, except off the jackdaws nesting outside my room!!! However we did ring ahead as we all love drinking Rioja and on are last visit they ran out!!! So hence we rang this time to make sure it didn't happen again , but Friday night 17 of us staying and yes we ran out again, and on the second night the beer the lads were drinking also ran out!!! So as much as I enjoyed my stay was slightly disappointed.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Daisy4086

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Wild Boar to celebrate your 50th Birthday. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and found the Inn to be relaxing and comfortable. We have a good range of beers including 4 traditional ales and we will always try to keep as many of them on where possible, my apologies that we ran out of your favourite during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Wild Boar in the future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

The title of this review says it all really.
I would have marked them higher had the food been good.
The hotel is lovely, with a charming rustic interior, nice guest rooms and friendly, helpful staff.
Sadly the food was disappointing. I won't go into detail, that would be boring, but the food for us did not live up to it's reputation.
Complaints were dealt with in a professional and courteous manner, but mistakes were made that simply should not have been in an establishment like this.
Most people visit the Wild Boar to enjoy a fiirst class meal, but if they don't deliver, there are a large number of quality hotels and restaurants in this area, so customers may not give them a second chance.
I'm afraid we probably won't.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Helvellyn
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Helvellyn

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Wild Boar.

I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your evening meal whilst staying with us. The restaurant is a big part of the Wild Boar and apologies for the shortfalls that you experienced.

I will of course share your comments with the team and would ask you to contact me personally if you decide to visit again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed at The Wild Boar on Friday night as a way of pro-longing our honeymoon !
The place is amazing, full of character and charm, the staff are excellent, the steak was the best I have ever had and the location perfect (apart from the odd crazy car driver passing at 70mph).
We stayed with our dog, and possibly due to this were given a room in the rather ugly extension at the rear of the property. The room was a lot better inside than it looked from the rear car park and so we were relieved. Other than the shower being rather pathetic the room ticked all of the boxes.
The bar and restaurant are quite amazing, brilliantly furnished, very comfortable and a great place to relax and unwind. Dinner and breakfast were very very good. In the morning we really enjoyed a ramble (with the dog) in the 72 acres of private woodland - a great treat.
All in all, very highly recommended, we shall return (possibly to a feature room) and have already recommended to friends and family.
Well done to the team at The Wild Boar - you're all doing a cracking job, keep up the excellent work !

Room Tip: Go for a feature room if possible
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bbmNotingham

Thank you for your review on TA following your stay at the Wild Boar whilst you were celebrating on your honeymoon. I was pleased to read that overall you had great stay and enjoyed the character of the Inn.

It was also nice to hear that you and your dog and full use of our woodland and enjoyed the walks with have from the Inn.

I will of course pass your comments onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We first stayed here 40 years ago on our honeymoon, so this Anniversary break was very much a sentimental journey. Same room (no.6 - now a feature room The Old Spot) was delightful, comfortable, discreetly-lit and warm. No complaints whatsover. The same applies to the food, the log fires, the enthusiastic staff who, if they are faking an obvious enjoyment in their work, are extremely good actors!
The on-site brewed cask beer was well-kept and very much to our palate, the quality wine list varied and not extending to the size of the OED to make choice less mind-boggling. An 'on-the-house' bottle of sparkling wine and Anniversary card at dinner was a lovely touch and evidences how the Wild Boar goes that extra mile for its guests.
The decor now has eschewed the chintz of old and personally there's maybe a tad TOO much laminate/wood flooring at the expense of cosy carpeting but I accept that such is fashion.
We were here on Mothers Day and full bookings for lunch and dinner were the order of the day, the busy staff took all in its stride and my only minor criticism would be that bottles and glasses stayed uncollected on tables for long periods of time before clearance. This was a full tilt day however and I'm also one of that old-fashioned brigade which takes its empties back to the bar!
The pleasant 2 hour circular walk called 'The Wild Boar Trail' is informative, and an enjoyable stroll I'd recommend.
I can't think of anything that would prevent our returning, so many, many thanks Andy & Co. For once that over-worked phrase 'the team' really applies here, such is the efficiency of the entire operation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bothyperson

Dear Bothyman

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your visit to The Wild Boar whilst you were away celebrating your anniversary. I was extremely pleased to read that you had an enjoyable break and enjoyed your dining experience as well as the new micro brewery we have added. I will of course pass your comments onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Best Regards
Andy Lemm

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to The Wild Boar? Share your experiences!