“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Northe West
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Excellent- quite simply first class. Beautiful accommodation and a wonderful team who genuinely want to make your stay a four star experience. Would definitely stay here again. We took our 4 month old puppy and he was also made very welcome. Prior to having our puppy we only stayed in boutique hotels so we are very fussy. This is definitely a place for people who like good quality.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear NortheWestSweetpea,

Thank you very much for taking time to review your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read that you enjoy all aspect of The Wild Boar in particularly accommodation and the team.
If I can be of any assistance with any future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Inn.

Andy Lemm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Enjoyed a fantastic meal in the Wild Boar restaurant. It's had a refurb since I last visited and the lounge and bar area is really nice. Sampled the home brewed beer which was good. The place has a very relaxed atmosphere and the food was great. Looking forward to going again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear I_only_do_luxury,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent visit.

I was very happy to read that you had enjoyed what we have done at the Wild Boar in the last 4 years.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back again to The Wild Boar and I do hope you will not leave it another 4 years before your next visit.

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

To get things straight, this place isn't 5 mins from Windermere, unless you travel by moon rocket. I had a few Italian esq drives courtesy of taxis, and friends, and its a proper 10-15 min drive. Put it this way, unless you have a car, or you want banjo jangling ruralness, this place is not for you. It has its own woodland, replete with lake/pond for your own private walks. This is a good thing. I had a feature room. A little bit tired, but then I get the feeling during high season this is a revolving door of tourists. It was nice, my view beyond the car park and smoker, was a beautiful hill, very lovely. The staff were good, there were some nice little detail touches at breakfast that placed it above your standard b&b. Breakfast was ok, not great. Ate in the evening, that was also pretty good, no doubt a cut above the tourist bilge served up in Bowness central. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you want a choice of restaurants, a Tesco express, 3G, and phone signal, then stay in the centre. If you want a bit of privacy, including no signal, and you're own private wood walk, with kindly service, then this place could be for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Lee W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us.
We are constantly trying to improve our offering including the bedrooms am obviously sorry that you felt your was looking tired, we do try and ensure all the rooms are kept to the highest standards, I am obviously pleased you were able to explore the 72 acres of woodland and it’s tarn at the rear of the Inn and that you enjoyed both your breakfast and evening meal with us.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

just stayed at the wild boar for f-in-laws 90th birthday. absolutely great. staff were fantastic food superb. bedrooms really comfortable even though we only had "normal" rooms though got complimentary upgrade for birthday boy so he had his own patioetc. all in all a really great place to eat drink and chill. we'll definitely be back

Room Tip: even though we had a room over the bar/reception it was quiet and cosy but if we return we'd ask...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear petercritchley,

Thank you very much for taking time to post review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read you and your family had a great time here at The Wild Boar.
I will certainly share your feedback with our team.

I do hope to welcome you at The Wild Boar Inn in the near future.

Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I have just come back from the best 2 night break at The wild boar inn, hiding away just 5 mins from Windermere, this hotel and its staff were amazing. In the style of four rooms (channel 4) I checked for the usual dust etc, to which I found nothing. The room with its big copper bath was beautiful. The room also had some private outdoor space. The staff were welcoming, polite and efficient. This hotel brews its own ale which is a plus for any real ale drinker. Both nights the food was brilliant, the scotch egg with spicy brown sauce is definitely worth a go. Breakfast was great to with delicious poached egg floratine. Can't wait to visit again hopefully in the winter when the log fires are burning.

Room Tip: The wild boar suite is a must!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Samatha s,

Many thanks for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read you enjoyed the food our restaurant has to offer, it is something we are very proud of.
The Brewhouse has become a big part of the Inn since we began making our own ales last May and when you next visit myself or a member of the team will be more than happy to show you around and you will get chance to taste one of our new brews.

I am looking forward to welcome you at The Wild Boar

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Wild Boar Inn is fine for a stay of only a couple of nights. Beyond that its remoteness might be a bit inconvenient. The rooms are quite modern and comfortable, though finding one's way from the room to Reception can be something of an orienteering exercise. It is in this navigation that you realise that the Inn is several hundred years old and that some of the doorways/ceilings are quite low.
The restaurant specialises in smoked fare and the servings are robust...... my "lamb" shank came from something much larger than a lamb. Breakfast is very good, with a wide choice of hot dishes from the kitchen and bircher muesli (the only time I have found it in the UK).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very kindly for taking the time to write a review about your stay here at The Wild Boar Inn.
I am pleased to read that you liked your room and breakfast and especially our homemade muesli.
Regarding your Lamb shank, after brief discussion with Marc our Head Chef, being from Cumbria himself he has confirmed it was definitely lamb and asked that I inform you ‘’they breed them big in Cumbria’’
The location of the Inn is what many guests find most appealing as it is located in the tranquil Gilpin Valley so an ideal spot to relax and unwind but it has the advantage of only being a short five minute drive to Lake Windermere, also as with many old buildings that have been extended over the centuries making your way from one end of the building can be less obvious than a purpose built newer building, however you do not have the same character in such building as you find here at The Wild Boar.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to The Wild Boar in the near future.

Morecambe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed overnight for wife's birthday 14 May. Staff, food, place fantastic probably best steak
I have ever eaten. Just a wonderful place. Staff and venue could not be better. Thank you all.
Loved the on site smokehouse and brewery. Great breakfast we will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve T,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
It is extremely pleasing to read that you enjoy everything The Wild Boar has to offer.

If I can be of any assistance with any future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.