“Wonderful and so was the weather !”
Review of The Wild Boar

The Wild Boar
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Wonderful and so was the weather !”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and had dinner on 2 nights it was wonderful and so was the weather. The welcome and all service was first class the dog was included with biscuits on offer. One of the reasons for staying here is its location a couple of miles from Windermere but only minutes in a car.
Its so good to be able to relax over dinner with the dog under the table in the lounge especially in such hot weather and the food is good too.
The dog appreciated the room having a door onto the garden and from there to the 72 acres of woodland.
Although the road can be busy the trees baffle the noise and even with the windows and door open it doesn't distrub us.

• Stayed July 2014
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear JESSpaniel,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is great to read that you and your K9 friend enjoyed your stay with us, as you have mentioned the 72 acres of woods are a great place for both dogs and there owners to explore. I have passed on your comments to the team, and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

I can be of any assistance with helping you plan your next visit; please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Andy Lemm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We have just returned from our stay at the wild boar, it was such a good one I felt they deserve the praise, the customer service is brilliant and it would be very difficult to single one person out, we were made to feel a valued customer. The food was also very good, we dinned both nights! the steaks were perfect on the first and my cod on the second very nice too, must say the boulangere potatoes were fabulas and I'm very particular with my spuds, could have eaten them for every meal!! yum. Beds a very comfy, we had room 27, large room but only a big shower no bath. Looking forward to another sneeky trip, this was a last min. lets go away, great.

Dear JDMBeds,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your time here at The Wild Boar in particular the customer service offered by the team, I have of course shared your feed back with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and if I can be of any assistance with helping you plan your return visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Went for a Saturday lunch (outside as we were in our walking gear and with the dog), shared a deli board which was delicious and contained meats and fish from their smokehouse. Went back for an evening meal and we were pleased to be able to sit in the Lounge as, again, we had our dog with us. Incredibly efficient and friendly service. Steak duo went down a treat (one smoked, one not), plus a lovely salmon salad. Would highly recommend this pub. High standard of decor, good ales and wine.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BexB80
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear BexB80,

Thank you for taking the time to your review your visit to us here at The Wild Boar.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your lunch time visit that you then came back for dinner. Also it is great to read that you tried some of the more unique dishes such as the deli board and the duo of steak as both of these dishes have items that we have created in our own onsite smokehouse, the smoked steaks are my personal favourite!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future, at the very least for another lunch or dinner, but maybe an overnight stay as well.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

stayed here in January 2014. nothing was too much for the staff and they were happy to help where ever they were needed. we had lunch after we checked in which was okay(the fish finger sandwich was pretty sub standard)but everything else was delicious. the rooms are spacious and the decor is lovely. as part of a large group we ate in the restaurant/function room. all i can say is the steak was PERFECT. overall experience was excellent and i plan on coming again over the winter months as the place had a lovely warm feel about it.

Room Tip: pay for a decorative room you wont regret it
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank michaelu94
Dear Michaelu94,

Thank you for taking the time to your review your stay with us here at The Wild Boar.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and are planning to visit us again; I have of course shared your feed back with the team.

If I can be of any help with a future reservation please feel free to contact me here at the Inn

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Score would have been higher if it wasn't for the breakfast experience.
Everything started off very well though. We were travelling up from London and I was concerned that the traffic may make us miss our dinner reservation. I rang the hotel and spoke to a very helpful chap who assured me that the team would sort something out regardless of our arrival time. I was really impressed by this approach and felt like a valued guest.

Luckily we arrived in good time and were able to check out the room before making our way down to dinner. The room (number 2) was impressive, spacious and very well kept.

Dinner was exceptional. The service was prompt without being intrusive and the food was amazing. I would definitely say 10 out of 10 and would have no hesitation in recommending it to friends.

Breakfast however was a totally different experience.
It was clear that the bacon, tomato and mushroom had been under a hot lamp for some considerable time and were not at their best.
I'd say that breakfast was edible (must have been as I finished most of it) but extremely poor in comparison to evening meal.
The bacon was ok but the sausage wasn't great quality.
Whilst finishing off my toast a female member of staff asked my girlfriend if she had finished with her plate. My girlfriend stated that she had so the staff member removed her plate. This staff member then moved towards me and whisked my plate away too. I was a little stunned as I sat there toast in hand and mid chomp! She obviously wanted to clear the restaurant I guess!
All in all I would say that I enjoyed the stay. I am however disappointed by the breakfast experience but thankfully I'm also able to draw on the many plus points too.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Foofighter1977
Dear Foofighter1977,

Thank you for taking the time to your review your recent stay with us here at The Wild Boar.

I am glad that in the main you enjoyed your time with us and in particular the evening meal. Obviously I am disappointed that we have let ourselves down with breakfast both with regards to quality and service, I have already started to review this area with both the Head Chef Marc and the Restaurant Manager Beau and they have already reviewed the standards required and re-visited these with there teams.
I am glad that you still would recommend the Inn and would ask that when next planning a trip to the Lakes that you consider staying with us again so that you can see for yourself that your feed back has been taken seriously and the correct measure taken to ensure this does not happen again.
If I can be of any further assistance with this matter or if I can assist in a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed in a first floor room (No.21) which was quite spacious, with a super-king sized bed, separate seating area, and which overlooked the hotel garden. The room was located in what I'd describe as a small wing off the hotel containing the hotel boardroom and a few other rooms. To access the dining room, lounge & bar required negotiation via different levels with stairs along a corridor and the room itself also had 3 or 4 steps down upon entering it. Our room was very conveniently located to access the car park, garden and path to the hotels woodland walks (a good range of wellington boots are supplied just inside the entrance door, if needed).
Very good quality toiletries are provided and I did so like the individual cotton hand towels for use in the public wash rooms which were so very quaint too.
The hotel itself is in a peaceful, quiet setting with a host of Lake District sightseeing and activities all within a short drive.
The food was very good although we felt it has become a little bit pricy. We found the service to be both excellent and friendly and look forward to returning to stay here again when next in the area. I do hope you may have found some of this useful.

Room Tip: Rooms are located on different and varying levels with stairs to negotiate and no lift, therefore sh...
1 Thank Violet L
Dear RubyRedDiamonds,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is always pleasing to read that a guest has enjoyed there time with us here at The Wild Boar, I have shared your feed back with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. If I can be of any assistance with any future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Morecambe
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Celebrated our wedding anniversary with an excellent meal and overnight stay. Smoked fillet is a must for main, never had such a tasty tender steak. Wine a bit pricey though. Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Set in a lovely quiet part of the Lake District within easy reach of all the main towns and villages. Lovely Hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear IloveCrete83,

Thank you very much for your feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular your anniversary meal. The smoked steaks are one my favourite and unique to The Wild Boar as they are smoked in our on site smokehouse, I have shared your feedback with all of team.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Wild Boar in the future