“wonderful food”

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We were staying at the nearby Gilpin Lodge Hotel for my 50th birthday and decided to have a meal out and came across this wonderful restaurant close by, the smoked fillet steak was the best i have ever tasted, it was gorgeous, the staff were all lovely and helpful and even let me use their landline phone free of charge as i couldnt get a signal on my mobile to check on my 11 yr old son at home with a friend. we hope to come back soon and stay over in one of the beautiful rooms we have seen. this place is a must.

1 Thank sanlees
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear sanlees

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to The Wild Boar.

Firstly, a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Secondly it is great to read that you enjoyed your experience so much that you plan to stay with us on your next visit to the Lakes. I have shared your comments with the team.
If I can be of any assistance with a future reservation please feel free to contact me directly and I will more than happy to assist you with this.

Andy Lemm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed close by on a campsite but had downloaded the circular walk from the Internet and decided it would be rude not to go in and have lunch at the end. Wow, so pleased we did! Firstly we thought it had loads of character and then it was the super friendly staff. Next we spotted their own beers at the bar and the huge range of whiskies. We had a quick glance at the menu and wow again! I had the Wild Boar sausage and my husband was very impressed by the best gourmet vegetarian burger he had ever had ( veggie for 18 years). We are saving the pennies for a possible return visit to stay in the hotel next time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NickyJo1977
Dear NickyJo1977

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to The Wild Boar.

I am pleased you were able to dine with us and take in many of the unique aspects of The Wild Boar including the Beer that is made in our onsite brewery and our whisky selection that currently sits at 111 different types.
As you have mentioned that you plan to stay with us on your next visit please feel free to contact me directly and I will happily assist in making your reservation for you

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a family wedding. The room was excellent and the care and attention from the staff could not have been better. The food was great. My wife was recovering from an operation and the team could not have been more helpful in providing for her needs. This was a special occasion and everyone went out of their way to make sure that it was a memorable stay. Highly recommended!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Doug N,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the wedding celebrations.
It is extremely pleasing to read your comments relating to the team and how they looked after yourselves, I have shared your feed back with all of them.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed 1 night, the room was generous and luxurious, free standing copper bath, patio and nice decor. They offered a range of real ales, I tried a blonde summer ale which was on the hot day was much appreciated. The evening meal was of good quality but the best meal was breakfast fro both range and quality.

Room Tip: I was in room 11 and would happily book it again
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alan t
wbmanager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Alan T,

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent stay here at The Wild Boar.

It is great to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us in particular the breakfast, I have of course shared this with all of the team here at the Inn

I hope you will visit us again, possible trying one of our other Luxury rooms and maybe one of the other beers that we produce in our onsite brewhouse.
If I can be of any assistance with any future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the Inn.

Seer Green, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for a family wedding event which was hosted by the hotel. The wedding breakfast was amazing as was the service. The food is simply excellent and even though 80 guests were all served at pretty much the same time you felt like it had just been prepared especially for you. The Wild Boar has its own micro- brewery - micro it may be but the beers are full of huge flavours - you just want another one!
This is a fantastic place to stay, to eat, to unwind and relax. This is one of the English Lakes Hotels and from our past and recent experiences they are great places to go and have a great time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark B
Dear Mark B,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at The Wild Boar.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your weekend with us; I personally believe that we offer a unique venue for a wedding or large celebration and the food and service we deliver is second to none.
I am especially glad that you got to sample the beers from our onsite brewhouse, this has only been operating for just over a year, and the beer we produce is something we have worked very hard to perfect are we are very proud of the beers we produce.

I hope you will visit us again and if I can be of any assistance with any future reservations please feel free to contact me directly at the Inn.

Leigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

After spending two nights at the Wild Boar I am delighted with our stay. This is now my 4th time staying at this hotel and it never lets me down. The Wild Boar team are excellent in making your stay very relaxing and enjoyable. They also tend to your every need. Very accommodating, polite, and helpful.
I've stayed in a classic room on my works xmas do two years ago. Stayed in room 10, Luxury room. Room 15, feature room. And this time room 17, feature room. The rooms are wonderfully decorated. Modern yet still retaining original features. I asked for a room with a private patio area as we had our Golden Retriever with us. Although the rooms on one side of the hotel (room 10&15 are on this side) have patio doors leading to a metal fenced area, which is great with the dog as he can't run off. On this occasion these rooms were unavailable. (we did book the day before!) We were placed in room 17. This room had a patio area leading to a grassed area. But it wasn't fenced off. But this was no problem as we just tied the dog up on a long lead. He was happy enough. More so as the temperate was also 30C! So finding an outdoor shady space for a snooze was a must for him. The room had a very large king bed, with a feature fire place. I had also arranged for chocolates and champagne to be in our room on arrival. We were a couple of hours late. But one call to the hotel ment our champagne was icy cold. What a wonderful birthday surprise it was for my boyfriend.
As for the food its wonderful, although the steaks are a little pricey, but worth a treat. As they have their own smoke house and the smoked steaks are delicious. Every time we ate we were allowed to dine in the lounge area so we could bring our dog with us. Even at breakfast, they would set us our own table so our dog could sit with us.
I was surprised to find some of the staff even recognized me from my other stays, which was a really nice touch. That shows they do take notice of their guests.
Overall a wonderful friendly hotel that's well worth a stay. Romantic or for a break in the Lakes

1 Thank Natalie H
Dear Natalie H,

Thank you for your review on TA following your recent stay here at The Wild Boar.

It is always interesting to read the comments of return guests such as yourself, as you are already aware of what the Inn has too offer and it always great to read such positive feed back which I have shared with the team.
Obviously it is great that you enjoy your time with us but also that you are able to bring your Golden Retriever with you, certainly having a number of rooms with there own patio areas helps but having the 72 acres of woods is also a great place for anyone with a dog to explore.
I looked forward to welcome you back for your next stay and if I can be of any assistance at all please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Inn

Greasby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Had a wonderful meal here , the restaurant is so nice lovely low beams open fire for the colder weather . Beautiful place . The service was excellent staff very friendly . The hotel / restaurant has its own smokehouse , so the menu has some meals were meat has been smoked . We all had smoked fillet steak and all really enjoyed it , very tasty . If in Windermere again would definitely go again .

Dear Debra B,

Thank you for your review on TA following your recent visit to us here at The Wild Boar.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and in particular some of the smoked dishes that are smoked in our onsite smokehouse, I am a fan of these myself and I agree the smoked Fillet is very good although my personal favourite is the Smoked Sirloin.
I do hope to be able to welcome you back to The Wild Boar again when next in the Lakes.