After a last minute decision to get away for a night, we found ourselves in Windermere. We had no where booked, just planned to walk around and find somewhere nice to stay. After an hour of walking around we found nothing special.. We jumped on our phones and stumbled across Rum Doodle.. We was booked in with 5 minutes and on the doorstep with 10.
This was my first experience at staying at a B&B and didn't know what to expect. We was greeted by Gregor and was instantly made to feel welcome. We was shown to our room ( 5-Wish), which took our breath away. The smell, the feel, the colours, the ambiance, the 4 poster bed, the vintage touch, everything put a smile on our face.. We took up Gregor's offer of a coffee and homemade cake and he chatted with us informing us of the area, breakfast, his B&B and walks we could do.
We left that afternoon after a short walk to return to our room and just relax. And the room did that for us, a great bed, fresh crisp linen, a wide selection of tea's and coffee, dressing gowns in the cupboard and a warm shower.. Small things but done well. There was great information in the room about Gregor and Emma, Rum Doodle, walks, pubs and restaurants in the area.
We had a great night in Bowness, only a 10 minute stroll, and probably 20 minutes back as we had to many local ales, and a perfect nights sleep.
The next morning we went down for breakfast, greeted by Gregor's wife Emma with fresh coffee and a good selection of fruit, cereals and fresh juices. The menu for breakfast is the best I've seen, in fact I was stuck what to choose. My wife had the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs on muffins and I had the poached eggs on smoked haddock.. Locally sourced and excellent.. Fresh baked bread, homemade jams and more coffee made our morning walk hard but worth it.
We have left Rum Doodle feeling sad, we wished we could have stayed longer. Gregor and Emma have took time and paid attention to detail to make the perfect getaway. This wasn't a special occasion for us, just a getaway, but Rum Doodle made it a special occasion for us.
We can't wait to go back and are already looking at dates. Well done Gregor and Emma, Rum Doodle is the gem of the lakes..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set midway between Windermere and Bowness, vintage-styled Rum Doodle B&B is just a 12-minute downhill stroll away from the famous lake. We offer country house quality in a B&B setting with Egyptian cotton linens, an award-winning breakfast and complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Agoda and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Rum Doodle Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Braemount House Hotel Windermere
- Rum Doodle Bed & Breakfast Windermere, Lake District