I stayed here with my boyfriend for one just night during March (I believe they usually have a two night minimum but happened to have a room free for just one night, so it's worth checking!). I loved everything about our stay and will definitely return.
The hotel has the perfect location with amazing views of the lake. It's a very short walk (through fields) down to the lake and from there about a 30 minute walk to Ambleside. All fo the public rooms in the hotel - the dining rooms and lounges - are comfortable and have great views and the terrace is also lovely (bit cold still during our stay but would be lovely to sit out in warmer months!) We didn't use the spa so I can't comment on it.
Our room had a great lake view and was very comfortable. Little things such as decent proper coffee and nice toiletries also made our stay feel very luxurious. Our bathroom was also large and the bath (which had jacuzzi jets) was great.
We had dinner and breakfast at Holbeck Ghyll during our stay and were very very happy with both meals. Drinks in the lounge before dinner was very relaxing and we really enjoyed the pace of the meal as well as the delicious food. We weren't waiting long for any course but also had plenty of time to chat and enjoy each course. The wine list was also great - so much choice and we had a lovely bottle of wine for about £30, plenty of choice at that price too. The food was absolutely amazing - everything on the menu was very appealing and we loved every course at dinner as well as lovely cooked breakfast the next day.
What really made this a great break was the staff - everyone we met and dealt with was very friendly and helpful, and genuinely interested in making sure that we enjoyed our stay. That really helped!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District