“Great food, lodge rooms more average”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for a night en route south from Scotland and had high expectations. We were accommodated in one of the lodge rooms which, I am sorry to say, did not give a great impression of a high-end luxury hotel. Lodge rooms are situated in two storeys of what can best be described as a chalet building a few metres up the hill from the main house

The best aspect of our room was the view which was spectacular (and do try walking further up Holbeck Lane for even better views of the lake and town across the fields with grazing sheep). The room itself - hmm, nice touches but overall not great, compared to other similarly high-priced hotel we have stayed in. In particular, the proximity of loud neighbours conversing on the immediately adjacent balcony area was an issue (and why we went for the aforementioned walk!). There was little that was actually wrong - but not much to make the heart sing in this room.

The food and wine however is a completely different story. We had aperitifs in a lounge overlooking the lake, followed by a spectacular dinner, with each course being imaginative, beautifully presented and very flavoursome. We had a mid-range bottle of wine which was excellent. Prices reflected Michelin-standard expectations, which were fully met. Next day's breakfast was splendid as well. We really enjoyed the food here - well worth a detour.

Overall impression - this is a rest place for a hotel, so if our next room is in the main house, it will be perfect.

Room Tip: Try for the main house.
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Your comments regarding the Lodge Rooms have been noted and our housekeeper is methodically working around the rooms with Matthew, our Maintenance Man and various contractors, slowly but surely bringing them up to scratch. Do contact me directly when you are looking to return and I will help you choose the perfect room. menawhile, I am delighted that you enjoyed the aspects of your stay.

With all good wishes

Andrew

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed 19 June 2012

The views, the rooms, the service, the whole Holbeck Ghyll experiences is simply lovely. A fabulous place to stay in the Lake District which is so close to great walking, and a short drive from Ambleside. Log fires, attentive staff the whole stay was great. My only negative comment which I hope Holbeck Ghyll takes note of is that of supplements. When you are paying Holbeck Ghyll sort of prices you don't expect to find a starter and a main course each night having a supplement on it and in particular if you dont want a dessert but feel like a plate of cheese iits a supplement. I didnt have dessert and out of principle did not have cheese which I would have loved. So please please stop the supplements ... then you are perfect!! .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

We have listened to your feedback and now offer a cheese plate. Thank you for taking the time to review us and I hope that on your return you will find that small changes make a big difference.

Thanks, as well, for giving us a great score.

With all good wishes

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We have stayed at this Hotel before and there are many good hotels in the Lake District but this was our first choice to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary. Normally when you revisit an hotel its not as good but the Staff, Room, Food and Warmth of our Experience we will always remember. It was well worth the money we paid and when I answered their questionaire I advised them to change nothing. In the middle of Wedding Guests arriving Andrew the Manager stopped to take our dirty books away for drying. The wine recommendations were excellent and not the most expensive wine on the list. Our Son had arranged a bottle of champange for us and they had taken the time to hand write the card and make the most of the surprise we enjoyed. We will certainly be returning and I must pass on this recommendation.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2, it looks over the Valley onto the Lake. We have also stayed in the ajoinng Room...

Ok - we wont!

Do call me when you are looking to come back and I can make sure you get one of my favourite rooms. Thanks for taking the time to review us and giving us such a great score.

Thank you from us all!

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We returned to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary this last weekend. It was all the more special as we got married at the Holbeck Ghyll. I made a request for us to be seated in the bay window in the oak panelled restaurant for dinner as this is where we stood to exchange our vows-this happened both nights, thank you for this it made our anniversary special. This was actually our fifth stay and we felt the overall experience had improved, the staff are professional, yet friendly, but nothing was too much trouble. Thanks Andrew for the chocolates and best wishes. The restaurant has been praised repeatedly, it deserves it's Michelin star, the food not only looks a work of art, it tastes fabulous, the lemon plate was so so enjoyable, I had it twice. We would love to return every anniversary!!

Room Tip: Room 6 opens onto a terrace with fantastic views. If you can ask for a room with a view of the lake...
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thank you for this great review - I have pinned your review to our staff notice board as your kind words do wonders for our morale. We are delighted that we made your stay special and, when you look at a date to return, please call me directly and I will make sure that we reach the same high standards again.

Thank you so much for the good score.

With our best wishes

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We've just returned from our 5th stay at Holbeck Ghyll. As usual the service, food and overall experience were superb. For us the beauty of this hotel is the balance between relaxed and informal service but with 5-star food and wines. Most of the staff are young but they're incredibly friendly and really can't do enough for their guests. We first stayed here 5 years ago and were attracyed because the hotel is genuinely 'dog friendly'- our Labrador Ralphie loves it here and made a special friend in Daisy, the resident Golden Retriever.

Thanks to Andrew and the team. We can't wait to return!!

Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Woof, rrrrrr, woof, wooooffff, rrrrr, woof, sniff, sniff, licks.

(Daisy says - mum shrieked with delight the other day when I caught the ball myself! I got extra treats - all thanks to you and Ralphie! Andrew says to say thank you for such a good review and he and Jane look forward to you coming back - as do i!)

Reviewed 10 June 2012

We booked a Jr. Suite room (Kingsclere Room) with a lake view a few months before our visit to the UK. This was booked over the phone and the person assured me it was a beautiful luxury room with a wonderful view. Upon our arrival we found this this room to be clean but not even close to a luxury room and the view was pitiful. Although clean, it was closer to a college students apartment than even a mid-level hotel room. It was one of the most awkward rooms I've ever seen with a small closet and old bathroom that had separate hot & cold water faucets...no mixer. This was not what was advertised or told over the phone and certainly not worth $310 & $330 pounds a night ($480 & $520 USD).
I included some pictures showing this room which actually look better than in person.
The manager Andrew was nice enough to show us other rooms which we choose the Madison but could allow us only two of the four nights. It was an older house that had been slightly updated and I believe scheduled to be renovated sometime down the line. However, it felt more like a nice mobile home with a great view than a house, and certainly not close to being luxury accommodations.
Andrew said we could go back to the other room for the other two nights and offered to check other local hotels for us. He never came back to us about this. We ended up calling other hotels which were booked because of the Queens Jubilee & Bank Holiday weekend. We ended up having to leave the Windermere area early and change our London hotel accommodations which resulted in spending $100 (USD) more a night. This also caused some friends from London who drove up to Windermere to be with us to change their plans.
Upon our checkout I told the front desk manager that I felt there should be a price reduction because of the misleading information and our having to change our plans, additional expenses, etc. and to please convey this to Andrew. I had given him my UK cell number and email and waited a week for a response before submitting this review. The only response was the final charge to my AMEX card for the full. amount.
Additional Comments
The main building was quaint and comfortable but tired furnishings. The breakfast was nice (we didn't have dinner) and the staff pleasant. The WiFi worked okay in the Lobby but not in the rooms. They told us they would drive us to the local towns and pick-up with the hotel car which I saw. However, when we called for a pick-up, they sent a cab which we had to pay for. The area is beautiful with great hiking right from the hotel grounds.
Our friends from London stayed at the Applegrath Hotel in Windermere which they said was very nice, and a much better value. It's a different type of hotel and location than Holbeck. We happen to meet the manager who was very nice to us, allowed us to park there and made suggestions on where to go, dinning outside his hotel, etc.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at this hotel, I suggest you stay in renovated rooms. Also, from the other rev...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank brad s
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

The size and shape of our rooms in the main house are governed by the restrictions of converting a 19th century hunting lodge. Our modern suites have mixer taps, Brad never mentioned this was a key need of his.

Brad was shown to our most recently refurbished suite, Eltermere, and Madison House. I upgraded him at no extra charge to Madison House with its hot tub, spectacular views, spacious sitting area. Brad also have a complimentary bottle of wine on the terrace as I really wanted Brad to have a good stay.

Brad never asked me to look for alternative hotels as I would have told him that accommodation was limited in the Lakes due to the bank holiday etc. Brad said he would do this himself, which he did and duly informed me the following day that he would be leaving two days early.

I explained to Brad clearly that I could not discount the room rate but would forfeit the two days revenue and not charge a cancellation charge as well as giving him the free upgrade. Reading Brads Tripadvisor report, I am sorry that his actions messed up the plans for him and his friends and incurred extra costs, but it was Brad's choice to leave early. We didn't know any of this, only that Brad wanted to leave two days early.

We don't offer a taxi service with the hotel car as we are not licenced to do so. I am sorry if my staff gave that impression. For those people who would be interested in a taxi fare from Windermere, it is £7.

It is always sad when we don't meet someones expectations, despite trying very hard, however, Brad, I am mighty glad that Tripadvisor allows me to put my side of your tale.

Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was our second visit to Holbeck Ghyll the first being last October.
Once again we were greeted by a smiling David on Reception and shown
to our beautiful new lodge with its stunning views of the rolling countryside!
We dined in their Michelin Star restaurant and went through the three courses
although on the next evening we just had a starter and main course. The food,
as you would expect, was simply amazing with a good selection and excellent
portions.
The staff were professional on our first visit and even better this time too!
We enjoyed a daily glass of white wine by the roaring fire in the lounge area.
The General Manager, Andrew McPherson, has run this hotel superbly for two
or more years and always seems to be around, even on his days off! I must
say that I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't been headhunted by one of the hotel
chains, or if he has, he prefers to run this little jewell!!!
Anyway, we will return as soon as we can and next time will introduce our Daughter's
little dog that came with us, to Daisey who is the resident doggie and is owned
by Andrew and his wife Jane!

Room Tip: The hotel is doggie friendly. Try out one of the new lodges. They don't look over the lake but...