We stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for a night en route south from Scotland and had high expectations. We were accommodated in one of the lodge rooms which, I am sorry to say, did not give a great impression of a high-end luxury hotel. Lodge rooms are situated in two storeys of what can best be described as a chalet building a few metres up the hill from the main house
The best aspect of our room was the view which was spectacular (and do try walking further up Holbeck Lane for even better views of the lake and town across the fields with grazing sheep). The room itself - hmm, nice touches but overall not great, compared to other similarly high-priced hotel we have stayed in. In particular, the proximity of loud neighbours conversing on the immediately adjacent balcony area was an issue (and why we went for the aforementioned walk!). There was little that was actually wrong - but not much to make the heart sing in this room.
The food and wine however is a completely different story. We had aperitifs in a lounge overlooking the lake, followed by a spectacular dinner, with each course being imaginative, beautifully presented and very flavoursome. We had a mid-range bottle of wine which was excellent. Prices reflected Michelin-standard expectations, which were fully met. Next day's breakfast was splendid as well. We really enjoyed the food here - well worth a detour.
Overall impression - this is a rest place for a hotel, so if our next room is in the main house, it will be perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Expedia, Booking.com, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and Ebookers so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District