“Fantastic Hotel in a Beautiful Location”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 30 July 2012

An absolutely wonderful hotel, the Holbeck Ghyll is a five star experience. It has breathtaking views, amazing food, and our cabin had a private hot tub! Would recommend it to anyone wanting a luxurious and relaxing vacation.

1  Thank Susanna M

Reviewed 30 July 2012

It was my 40th. We selected this hotel as we wanted to experience a Michelin dinner. We got the 'diners package' with afternoon tea, spa treatment, dinner and breakfast with overnight stay for two. We had our 6 months old baby with us. The room was ok, it had a bay window which unfortunately overlooked some rubbish bins and we saw a number of staff - mainly from kitchen judging from the whites they were wearing - smoking. So, view, not great. Sure, had we paid a £100 more we would have got the Lake view.
As we had a baby we were not allowed in the restaurant and had to dine in the room AND paid a supplement for it. I understand this to be their policy, but then don't ask for extra money.
As we went for the 'food experience', I must say that it was nothing remarkable. As for breakfast, I have had a more varied buffet on offer at some chains hotel - so I was rather disappointed with that too.
The massage I had (post-natal treatment) was excellent.
Overall: I would go there again for the massage, but not for the food or the hotel accommodation given the price paid: £340.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that overlook the lane as not great views!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarita72
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I didn't stay in the hotel but my partner and I ate here this Friday as we were in the lakes for the weekend. We have just got engaged and my partner arranged for us to dine here and I have to say it is the nicest meal I have every had. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was amazing. For us this was a lot of money for just one evening but I have to say it was worth every penny and we will definitely be returning when we are next in the Lake District. Many thanks for making our evening so special.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We went for a two night treat for the food. Dinners on both nights were lovely, one night was the gourmet menu with accompanying wine chosen by the sommelier to match the food. All absolutely delicious. Lovely staff, especially the gorgeous Australian waitress who took the trouble to answer our queries about the food (we like food) and the sommelier and the cheese man. Room very comfortable although not a refurbished room (room 2, lake view) lovely bed and all very clean, thanks to the cleaning staff who are probably one of the most important staff groups and of course usually invisible, but if your room isn't clean - disaster, so all praise to the cleaners.

Some reviews have mentioned a stuffy atmosphere, and we did find this. Not from the hotel people at all, but some of the other guests there clearly thought themselves far too important to greet fellow diners as they entered the lounge or whatever, and there was that dreadful hush that you get in some places at all levels. I think the hotel could help this by providing a little musical background noise. This would encourage people to talk more normally as they need not fear they were being overheard. (I think this was the problem.) It is not easily solved as background music is so personal and can ruin an evening.

One last issue was that we booked the dinner, bed and breakfast rate for two nights which included the £65 dinner. One night we opted for the more expensive £85 gourmet dinner assuming it would be £20 extra. They charged us £33 extra. We queried it and it was refunded, but it was obvious that the two members of staff dealing with the refund both thought that it should be £33. Nowhere in the website, booking confirmation, room information, menu, does it say anything of the sort as far as have been able to find. We even mentioned to the lovely man on reception who booked us in that we would want the gourmet menu one night, and he didn't mention it either. So it's 85 - 65 = 20 or 33, but if it's 33 it needs some sort of mathematical proof by way of explanation.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Just back from staying at the Holbeck Ghyll. Wow!! the staff couldn't do enough for you and it was a pleasent change to see the manager hands on clearing tables and helping serve drinks etc. This is how we ran our business. The French waiter was passionate about the cheese and helped us to make tasty choices. The room in the lodge had a view to die for and was very clean and well equiped. Damson gin was very nice. It was a surprise for my husbands 60th birthday and we both had a memorable time. The evening meal was a delight scallops will stay with me for a long time to come I love scallops and these were the best I have ever tasted the main course we chose beef cooked perfectly and melted in your mouth. Breakfast was also lovely and would recommend the scrmbled eggs. I would recommend to everyone and would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Having left home last week on a wet wednesday morning at 5.00 am we drove up the M6, we didnt worry to much staying at our favourite UK hotel Holbeck Gyhll for three nights.

As we turned into the private road and up to the hotel the clouds paerted the sun came out and it stayed that way the entire stay.

Once again the formal but relaxed atmosphere, the genuine friendly staff made our stay just perfect we can not thank the staff enough. The manager to the back room house staff all do so much to make your stay wonderful. All deserve hign praise indeed.

The little things add up, good or bad, there are no bad only good at Holbeck.

Relax and enjoy a Indian head massage in the very nice Spar, not to be missed.

The surroundings are nothing short of spetacular.

Last but no means least David the Head chef-d`ceuvre, over the last four years the dining exsperiance has been secound to none and we dont say that lightly. To indulge in fine dining is one thing, dinning that makes you stop eating and think what are the wonderful tastes going on, is something very special. David our sincere compliments.

Our stay was much needed, life can be difficult. we have never been dispointed at Holbeck in fact our stay was perfect in every way it means a lot to us.

Thank you Holbeck so much, see you all again soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review. It is one that I have pinned to the staff board as you kindly acknowledge the work done by all of my team. I do have a great team and, on behalf of them, thank you for your heart-felt review.

Yours sincerely

Andrew

Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in June 2012 and can't say enough about the wonderful staff, the tremendous dining room, and the lovely, well-thought-out rooms, not to mention the gorgeous location and views of Lake Windermere. This hotel really was the highlight of our two weeks in the lake country of England and Scotland. The main building, the country house, is furnished ideally for what it is--traditional antiques, luxe fabrics, but with a comfy vibe: your boots don't have to be spotlessly clean and the wonderful Golden Retriever greeting you is perfectly at home! Our room was in the Lodge and contained everything necessary for a comfortable stay. The deep, large bathtub with the grab-handles offered an especially nice soak after a long day. There was more than adequate light for reading and a lovely nook for simply taking in the view. The only negative that I could possibly find concerning the room is that the upholstery on the chairs and the carpeting needed to be cleaned. The dining room was as delicious for breakfast as it was in the evening for dinner. This is truly an exceptional place and we would make the trip back specifically to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for your good review and Elia, my housekeeper and I take your point about the chairs; we have contacted the local guys straight away to come attend to the public area chairs. However, I was delighted to read that you did enjoy your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

With all good wishes