“Expectations fulfilled!”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
“Expectations fulfilled!”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was our first stay at Holbeck Ghyll and I had booked two nights as a surprise for my wife's birthday. I knew the location was spectacular overlooking Lake Windermere with dramatic and ever changing views of the Langdale Pikes beyond. What I did not know was the excellent and attentive service from the friendly and enthusiastic team at the hotel. In simple terms they made this a special weekend and most importantly was thoroughly appreciated by my wife. This appreciation is due to all the team from arrival at the hotel, the front desk, the spa and of course the Michelin star restaurant which produced some outstanding dishes and accompanying wines.
The room overlooking the Lake was good although the decoration was beginning to tire, albeit an upgrade programme in place. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Make sure you book a lake view room to take in the spectacular views!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Thank you for your honest review. As you mentioned we have got a programme in place to improve the rooms (I know that I have covered this with you and I appreciate you explaining this on this forum.) and I do hope that you will notice the difference when you return.

However, thank you for choosing your title so well. Fulfilling expectations is a hard ask and I am glad the team and I did it!

Andrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

As a very last minute decision to spend the weekend in the lakes was worried if would be able to find a good hotel.
Having thoroughly enjoyed the Steve Coogan & Rob Brydon program ‘The Trip’ checked out this hotel which was featured on the program and found that there was still a room available.
The comments on Trip Advisor were very positive so it appeared to be a good choice.
We were not to be disappointed!!
We arrived late on Friday and were warmly greeted with valet parking. Checked in very quickly and show to our room. Being the last room was concerned, but what a lovely surprise greeted us. Stepped through the door into a spacious living area, which went through to an equally spacious en-suite and bedroom. There was a TV in both the living area and the bedroom but the best feature was the French doors which lead out on to our own private courtyard which had a bench and a table. Spent Saturday afternoon in the courtyard enjoying the weather.
We were treated to a complimentary box of chocolates, which were very much appreciated but we appear to have missed out on the Damson Gin which a lot of people have raved about.
Breakfast was served in the restaurant and the choice and quality was excellent. Again brilliant service!
We booked for a meal in the restaurant on Saturday night and again were not disappointed by the Michelin Star food. Table was booked for 9.00 with canapés serviced from 8.30, which enabled us to have an aperitif and mingle with other guests.
Would highly recommend the Scallops for starters, Lamb for main and finish off with Cheese, with more choice then you could imagine.
All in all an excellent weekend!
If can try out Room 8!!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your great review - and the next time you vsit Room 8 will have be transformed with a complete makeove r- you are right about the little terrace - it is very sweet.
My apologies about the Damson Gin - our supplier had let us down so we ran out!! However, we are back with the decanters so please make sure you come back to try it!

Once again thank you for taking the time to review us.

London
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We had a one night stay in the lodge (Peter Rabbit room) and thouroughly enjoyed our short stay there. We had our golden retriever with us and they made such an effort for the dog - dog blankets, biscuits and extra towels etc. The hotel is in a great location with loads of walks nearby.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening for our anniversary and the food was great, but expensive - but ok for a special occasion! We had the £65 p/head dinner and it was absolutely excellent. We asked for our wine to be chosen to match our meals and it was also great. After dinner we sat by the fire and brought our dog down while we had coffee & tea which was nice to be able to do.

I have to say that the spa was excellent. Me and my wife both had treatments and both were probably the best we have ever had.

In summary a great place to stay for a special treat (or if you're pretty well off) but you might get a shock when you come to pay the bill as it is very expensive - but you're getting the best there is really.

Room Tip: The Peter Rabbit lodge was a great choice for a dog.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andrewsco
Thank you for taking the time to review us and I am gald to hear that we looked after you and, especially, that you found your retriever to be cared for as well. Can I urge you to go to our website and register for our e-shots as this way we can make sure that we are giving you the very best rate possible; during peak times our room prices do reflect the quality we aim to provide however, at other times, we do some really good deals.

Once again, thank you very much for the review.

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed in the buttermere suite for one night. This is a lovely small hotel with a lot of character and personal service. Our suite was detached for the main house and was very newly refurbished. It was a beautiful room with seperate lounge, surround sound, spa bath, and contemporary furnishings. It did not have great views but this was less important to us. The house is set above the lake on a hill and so affords wonderful views. We found the service to be very good and very personable not at all stuffy. Dinner was good, we could not enjoy the tasting menu as there were no available slots so had the three course option instead. Food was wonderful and fully deserving of the 1star status. All in all a wonderful short stay, I am certain we return

Room Tip: Look at the hotel website carefully before selecting rooms. They vary greatly some very trad and som...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

An absolutely wonderful hotel, the Holbeck Ghyll is a five star experience. It has breathtaking views, amazing food, and our cabin had a private hot tub! Would recommend it to anyone wanting a luxurious and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susanna M
Lancaster
Reviewed 30 July 2012

It was my 40th. We selected this hotel as we wanted to experience a Michelin dinner. We got the 'diners package' with afternoon tea, spa treatment, dinner and breakfast with overnight stay for two. We had our 6 months old baby with us. The room was ok, it had a bay window which unfortunately overlooked some rubbish bins and we saw a number of staff - mainly from kitchen judging from the whites they were wearing - smoking. So, view, not great. Sure, had we paid a £100 more we would have got the Lake view.
As we had a baby we were not allowed in the restaurant and had to dine in the room AND paid a supplement for it. I understand this to be their policy, but then don't ask for extra money.
As we went for the 'food experience', I must say that it was nothing remarkable. As for breakfast, I have had a more varied buffet on offer at some chains hotel - so I was rather disappointed with that too.
The massage I had (post-natal treatment) was excellent.
Overall: I would go there again for the massage, but not for the food or the hotel accommodation given the price paid: £340.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that overlook the lane as not great views!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarita72
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I didn't stay in the hotel but my partner and I ate here this Friday as we were in the lakes for the weekend. We have just got engaged and my partner arranged for us to dine here and I have to say it is the nicest meal I have every had. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was amazing. For us this was a lot of money for just one evening but I have to say it was worth every penny and we will definitely be returning when we are next in the Lake District. Many thanks for making our evening so special.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple