We have just returned from another stay at the Holbeck Ghyll (16th & 17th December). It is our 6th in 6 years. The un-stuffiness of this high calibre hotel is one of its many strong points.
From the afternoon tea to the full Michelin star experience in the dining room the service was exemplary. This was carried by the effervescent restaurant manager Tom. He has the ability to read customers and their wishes. Even though there were a few new faces in the restaurant and bar area the service was the same – top notch.
The food has always been excellent here. And again we were not disappointed. Apparently the head chef was off when we visited and you could not tell. There is obviously strength in depth. The food seemed to have a lighter touch than before (not a criticism) and the variety. I have never had squab cooked liked that before.
The breakfast, something that can be easily overlooked was very good. The eggs benedict were fantastic.
The bedroom we had (room 1) was spacious and had a balcony with great views, especially when it rained the previous day and woke the next morning to snow-capped mountains in the distance. Cleanliness was very good. The only snag was the bathroom, and this needs an update. Not in keeping with the rest of the room.
The Spa has been decorated since last year. As you sit awaiting your treatment the views over the mountains (whatever the weather!), certainly gets you in the relaxing mood for the treatments to come. The therapists certainly know their trade.
We look forward to visiting again next year – don’t let the standards drop!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District