We chose the snowiest weekend of the year to visit this lovely hotel. At 5pm we phoned the hotel to say we thought we be late, then everything completely ground to a halt because of the snow. Several hours later we had to abandon our car and Tom the duty manager (hero!) came to fetch us in the hotel range rover. This was well after midnight by this point and we were greeted in such a friendly way as if this was no problem at all. Some staff had stayed up, prepared us food and insisted we have a drink in the lounge, despite it clearly being well after hours. The entire staff were SO friendly, helpful and just old fashioned kind. We were bowled over by this, thank you!
The hotel itself is delightful, small enough to be personal and cozy, the fires were all lit whilst we were there. There was even a hot water bottle in the bed after dinner, what a great touch! We missed one dinner but the second night the food was superb. A very classic menu from which I could have eaten everything. And you can buy good wine by the glass which is great if you are eating a different thing to your partner. The breakfasts were excellent too, the porridge with the cream and whiskey was to die for. The only problem with this hotel is that it's difficult for us to get to but we'll certainly go back. One of the best hotel experiences we've had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District